Recruitment strategy ??

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Lets see who we are linked with, and who, if anyone rolls up in January. You are entitled to your opinion, mine is this is a desperate ineffective, inefficient waste of time. That said it will probably be deployed to pick the next manager. Lol.

I don't think I've said that this will bear fruit, or that we will sign anyone based on it directly. What I've said is that it's not some embarrassment, or amateur, but another tool to use in an attempt to unearth something we need. The lack of a scouting network at the club was commented on by Rae I believe, meaning a resource most managers will have available to them is missing at St Mirren.

The only time wasted is the time taken to write and publish the post. I'm fine with that time being wasted. Fowler could actually be our next manager, judging by the way we've appointed managers in the past 25 years...but here's hoping Jack turns this around. ;)

13 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Small correction required here. The way a 'Professional' uses a resource like linkedn is to iniate a search for candidates with the skill set and relevant endorsements you require. I.e. You check them out before even talking to them, to sift through to only those who have what you need, in the pay scale you are prepared to consider.

however our club have posted a 'roll, up, roll up' to every crock in the game, they will be deluged by a sea of pish, and waste huge amounts of time chasing the likes of Arquan down.

Now you can call mine, and the first approach as being negative, most professionals however see it as being effective, and efficient. Only their and my opinion of course.

I recently filled a job vacancy using LinkedIn. First step was to put out a feeler just like Fowler's, which was shared and reshared by the HR consultant who was helping me. We got the guy we wanted within days and i got to sift through all the dross, without having to speak to them if I didn't already know them.

Yes, it was a "roll-up" call to loads of people who needed a job and either didn't have or had lost what it takes.  I didn't drown in a sea of pish.

That last statement is currently under review due to the content of this thread.  I'm looking out the waders from under my desk.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/hero-answered-teletext-striker-appeal-6356260.html

Also seem to remember about 10-12 years ago Hamilton placing an advert in The Sun for players. If only there was an expert in Lanarkshire football who I hadn't blocked who could share with us why this was a far better approach than what we're doing...

He'd only tell you how involved in it he was anyway.

5 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

So who was this Ayr team, United, Boswell or another?

http://www.ayr-united.co.uk/html/past_managers.html

It was a typo, he was actually referring to a guy called Ally Dosser, who comes to his rented attic to eat beans and scour the internet with him for proof that they are clever.

i think this is what he refers to as a "dinner party"

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I'd been going to suggest that "At least we're not using Football Manager" but I think some teams do genuinely use it as a scouting tool. Of course, it would be as a starting point and you'd still have to see the player in the flesh or look at him during a trial period.

Maybe someone should start a save game and filter it to look for players who are out of contract to see who's available...

Im sure Everton have some ties with the developers of the game as it is scouted heavily worldwide

2 hours ago, STGBuddy said:

Ok so John hughes , Billy Davies or Jimmy Calderwood and the like would arrive at Greenhill Road and have no idea of players , positions , who can come in and targets etc ? 

Hughes did not want the job. Davies did not want the job. We did not want Calderwood. We have what we have and with good reason.

Its only a guess but maybe, just maybe, this is not the only line of enquiry Fowler and Ross are making? Or did the Irish lad we have on trial at the moment answer the Linkedin ad?

8 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Hughes did not want the job. Davies did not want the job. We did not want Calderwood. We have what we have and with good reason.

Its only a guess but maybe, just maybe, this is not the only line of enquiry Fowler and Ross are making? Or did the Irish lad we have on trial at the moment answer the Linkedin ad?

I heard the"Irish lad" answered a personal column ad thinking it was a burd?

I'd been going to suggest that "At least we're not using Football Manager" but I think some teams do genuinely use it as a scouting tool. Of course, it would be as a starting point and you'd still have to see the player in the flesh or look at him during a trial period.

Maybe someone should start a save game and filter it to look for players who are out of contract to see who's available...

I could understand someone using football manager as the game has at least a foothold in reality. There plenty of people looking to scout who claim their experience in scouting for Football Manager. There was one on here not long ago offering his services. Certainly Sega claim clubs use it as a scouting tool and there's some evidence that a young player with high stats in the game can earn loads of money in deals despite not doing that well in real life. At least the players football manager stats come about from someone having watched them.

The LinkedIn thing just looks silly and desperate.

10 hours ago, STGBuddy said:

potential talent ?? This is an advert for senior UK pros who are on a free!! Surely you would expect your management team to at least have a fair idea who these folk are already ?? This isn't about finding a Bojan or a messi .. this is an advert for a UK journeyman?? 

What's the issue here? Seriously. Just because a "seasoned pro" answers doesn't automatically mean they'll get a gig. Casting the net just means you have a choice whether to feast on the fish or throw it back.

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

What's the issue here? Seriously. Just because a "seasoned pro" answers doesn't automatically mean they'll get a gig. Casting the net just means you have a choice whether to feast on the fish or throw it back.

Like I've said before .. if we get a player who adds value to our squad through a LinkedIn advert I'll be proved wrong . .. personally I think this is amateur .. others don't .. but what it definitely does do is show where we are as a club currently 

I'm not too bothered about the use of LinkedIn, I imagine we'll get a lot of dross applying, then have to trial some unknowns before actually having a chance of signing players.

What it does show is that the clubs ability to recruit players in non existent. Mainly down the lack of a club run scouting set-up and a view of retaining transfer knowledge within the club rather than relying on a management team to bring contacts to the table. A manager is lucky to last 3 years in any one role, why risk losing knowledge by letting them control it. . It should be the forefront of the clubs investment so we can actually attempt to have a competitive first team.

Yeah I'm sure Luis Enrique is on there asking around to see if anyone has spotted a new Messi ...... I'd love to see that advert if you can dig that out? 

if you think this is a professional way to go about signing players then we have very different views on it 

Barcelona, tend to use that site to look for Marketing Executives, Brand Ambassador officers, commercial execs etc, not players

Was it not mentioned a few months ago that the club have no scouting network? If so, more innovative ways need to be used to find players. I'm certain we won't be signing anyone based on their linkedin profile, but will offer them a trial based on the information they give in their reply and on the information we can glean from some online research about them. This will hopefully be shared and picked up on by scouts and agents over the UK, which can only help us become aware of what is available.

For those bemoaning this as not being a professional way to go about things, surely linkedin is the most professoinal mode of social media to acquire staff?

If we don't have a scouting network, we don't have access to the information we need on who is available and who could do a job for us. Therefore we need to do the groundwork in another way. Or are people suggesting we limit ourselves to the players and contacts of the manager and his assistant? I guarantee they would be slated if they only signed players they had worked with before, or who were recommended by a pal.

If there are players available and keen to play, we need to find them. This is one way of putting out feelers.

Just a bit worried about what comes next if the web approach doesn't work, An ad in a paper shop window?

22 hours ago, STGBuddy said:

Just when I was down .. it got worse 

Our assistant manager advertising for 'senior pros who are free agents' on LinkedIn.. really ??!

Is this the extent of Ross and Fowlers strategy and contact list ? 

I despair .. this kind of thing I would expect from a boys club team .. not us

And that's not even mentioning that we are supplementing a team of poor senior pros with potentially more !! .. what's going on ? :0(

IMG_6167.JPG

Don't see what the problem is . I bet Jack and James are trying everything NOT just this . It proves it's working as we are talking about it ! You seem to think that they are going to offer contracts to anyone who applies ! No chance our manager and his assistant ain't " mugs " they know only too well that they will be judged by results and their signings and also the improvements made to present squad . Anyway IVE got a serious question " does anyone know if that's a real photo of faraway Saint " ? He's no Richard Burton and what's the hat all about ? 

Well said , Fowler trying hard and gets pelters for it ! How about giving the guy a bit of credit 

12 hours ago, Buddy Marvellous said:

Well you are right about one thing, this isn't about finding established world class players like Messi or Bojan, they have world wide TV networks that show off their talents.

The fact you keep going on about an ad to find a UK journeyman shows how narrow minded you are about this. This is about throwing the net wider than the UK and alerting players scouts and agents in USA, Canada, Australia and every other country in between. These are places we could find another Dorman or Goncalves.