How Can We Help the Board?

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

Paul, while I agree in principle the catering outlets can be quite a big undertaking. First you need to make sure you meet all the hygiene and food safety standards and then you've got to be on top of best before dates, wastage etc. I'd imagine whoever runs the outlets — I thought it was RKC rather than the Carrs - would have lost a fair bit of cash with the postponement on Saturday.

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

Paul, while I agree in principle the catering outlets can be quite a big undertaking. First you need to make sure you meet all the hygiene and food safety standards and then you've got to be on top of best before dates, wastage etc. I'd imagine whoever runs the outlets — I thought it was RKC rather than the Carrs - would have lost a fair bit of cash with the postponement on Saturday.

With hospitality/ Functions / food outlets at the stadium it would be well worth the club to appoint a catering manager to take control. In house run also chasing more functions an area that is not promoted enough in my opinion there is good money to be made with the facilities at the stadium. In the Northsea most units are run by extearnal catering. The company that employes myself is in house. The company has looked into external catering companies to run our units but no external catering company can compete with our in house catering on price. Gordon Scott should have a look at fugures related to hospitality/ catering im sure he would be surprised at the figures and scope for expansion of profits. 

With hospitality/ Functions / food outlets at the stadium it would be well worth the club to appoint a catering manager to take control. In house run also chasing more functions an area that is not promoted enough in my opinion there is good money to be made with the facilities at the stadium. In the Northsea most units are run by extearnal catering. The company that employes myself is in house. The company has looked into external catering companies to run our units but no external catering company can compete with our in house catering on price. Gordon Scott should have a look at fugures related to hospitality/ catering im sure he would be surprised at the figures and scope for expansion of profits. 

There are some big issues with this. I looked at it in detail in my time and without the board being willing to invest in building a permanent stadium facilty i could not get the numbers to work in the short term. The question is if this board is both willing and able to stand the short term loss of the investment for the long term benefit of a full time meetings and conf facilty.

For other reasons there would also need to be quite a bit of capital spend to make the kitchens able to work for this kind of operation

1 hour ago, rea said:

There are some big issues with this. I looked at it in detail in my time and without the board being willing to invest in building a permanent stadium facilty i could not get the numbers to work in the short term. The question is if this board is both willing and able to stand the short term loss of the investment for the long term benefit of a full time meetings and conf facilty.

For other reasons there would also need to be quite a bit of capital spend to make the kitchens able to work for this kind of operation

Thats interesting so thanks for that. 

Thats interesting so thanks for that. 

For what it is worth i think the Club should do everything possible to finance the development of a permanet trading facilty at the stadium. I think investment needs made now (even if it is at the expense of football performance...though not relegation) to build a my greater revenue for use later.

For what it is worth i think the Club should do everything possible to finance the development of a permanet trading facilty at the stadium. I think investment needs made now (even if it is at the expense of football performance...though not relegation) to build a my greater revenue for use later.

With complete ignorance and without prying is this something that the £2 fund could easily facilitate or are you talking about investment on another level?

With complete ignorance and without prying is this something that the £2 fund could easily facilitate or are you talking about investment on another level?

I think it could make a significant contribution to the staffing set up costs but think, for what i had in mind when i did the sums, shareholders would need to invest also for some of the capital spend needed

Thinking out aloud here, there is a farmers market in Paisley every (?) weeks, it seems to me that these guys, even if they shared a facilty, if there was one at the ground, tat could be beneficial for all.

Was looked at before and was definitely a possibility. The issue was around ma5ch scheduling in that in the spl you could have a game planned for sat and so car park booked for use on sunday only to find tv does a switch with only a few weeks notice. We took on a Boat Jumble Sale twice a season which was less risky and it earned well for the Club doing nothing but sweating the asset. Tv scheduling not such an issue now !!

Rather than it being in the car park and on a Sat, my thoughts were that it could have been, for instance, where the shop was or where (with a bit of work) where the tickets are uplifted from. This could be a permanent small shop selling a mixture of stuff - cost be borne by a mixture of market holders - once up and running.  Could the spaces below the stands even be used non match day?

3 hours ago, melmac said:

Rather than it being in the car park and on a Sat, my thoughts were that it could have been, for instance, where the shop was or where (with a bit of work) where the tickets are uplifted from. This could be a permanent small shop selling a mixture of stuff - cost be borne by a mixture of market holders - once up and running.  Could the spaces below the stands even be used non match day?

I would have thought that with suitable flooring the dome would be the best area for creating an indoor market, with on site car parking. The indoor football pitch at Ravenscraig can be converted to an indoor hall very quickly if required. It's been done a few times in the past to host snooker events and the initial plans back when I was involved also showed it as a potential concert and market venue too. 

I might be missing the point a bit, but I'm pretty sure the idea of farmers markets being in town centres was for them to take their produce out to where people were shopping rather than have people travel to a farm shop on the farm. Now it's a long time since I've been round the shops in Paisley but I would presume that no matter quite how bad things have gotten there, that there is still more footfall on the High Street than there is at the football stadium on the rough side of town. No harm in trying it though. 

One thing I would like to see happen though is St Mirren looking to local producers to provide better quality food in the catering outlets and making a big deal about it. Think of the Killie Pie that was so successful, or the pies at Albion Rovers that keep winning awards, or the excellent Stephens Bakery steak bridies that you used to get at Dunfermline. It would show the club supporting local enterprise and there may be potential for a small licencing agreement that might net St Mirren some profit at a later date. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

23 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I would have thought that with suitable flooring the dome would be the best area for creating an indoor market, with on site car parking. The indoor football pitch at Ravenscraig can be converted to an indoor hall very quickly if required. It's been done a few times in the past to host snooker events and the initial plans back when I was involved also showed it as a potential concert and market venue too. 

I might be missing the point a bit, but I'm pretty sure the idea of farmers markets being in town centres was for them to take their produce out to where people were shopping rather than have people travel to a farm shop on the farm. Now it's a long time since I've been round the shops in Paisley but I would presume that no matter quite how bad things have gotten there, that there is still more footfall on the High Street than there is at the football stadium on the rough side of town. No harm in trying it though. 

One thing I would like to see happen though is St Mirren looking to local producers to provide better quality food in the catering outlets and making a big deal about it. Think of the Killie Pie that was so successful, or the pies at Albion Rovers that keep winning awards, or the excellent Stephens Bakery steak bridies that you used to get at Dunfermline. It would show the club supporting local enterprise and there may be potential for a small licencing agreement that might net St Mirren some profit at a later date. 

Should be interesting watching them get stock etc in through the revolving door !

35 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Wow.

wanky pish!

never seen that before... :o

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Have you tried a Buddie Pie with free beans?

I actually prefer it to a Killie pie!

A Killie Pie was a marketing freak... decent pie that was marked well but is now subjected to re-marketing.

If you were being accurate you would be referring to the Kilmarnock Pie now.

As for supporting local enterprise... are Saints not supporting a local business with their current franchise... or do you thing we could justify paying off the current staff?

Not really sure what your point here is Stuart.

(That is me trying to articulate rather than just typing "wanky pish" which people without a brain have developed the habit of doing with every brain fart!)

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Should be interesting watching them get stock etc in through the revolving door !

So are you saying that a viable suggestion should not be considered because you cannot see a way past a potential obstacle?

Do you feel there is no merit whatsoever in even considering the idea?

Do you believe that it is totally impossible to work around obstacles?

Do you believe it is impossible to take the suggestion as a starting point and work together to improve upon the suggestion and make something work for the benefit of the club?

I look forward to your replies, point 1-4.

7 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Have you tried a Buddie Pie with free beans?

I actually prefer it to a Killie pie!

A Killie Pie was a marketing freak... decent pie that was marked well but is now subjected to re-marketing.

If you were being accurate you would be referring to the Kilmarnock Pie now.

As for supporting local enterprise... are Saints not supporting a local business with their current franchise... or do you thing we could justify paying off the current staff?

Not really sure what your point here is Stuart.

(That is me trying to articulate rather than just typing "wanky pish" which people without a brain have developed the habit of doing with every brain fart!)

You're the brainless one, as the above post proves.

1. You're treating dickhead with a measure of respect.

2. You actually believe he wants to make a point.

3. Brains are not a farting organ. (I guess you came up with that as your brain suggests shite which you then type?)

i hope this helps? :)

12 minutes ago, antrin said:

You're the brainless one, as the above post proves.

1. You're treating dickhead with a measure of respect.

2. You actually believe he wants to make a point.

3. Brains are not a farting organ. (I guess you came up with that as your brain suggests shite which you then type?)

i hope this helps? :)

Why thank you.

I think you will find that I treat most dickheads with respect. This reply being additional proof!

Stuart may well share "wanky pish" as you so beautifully put it; but unlike you, he also makes good points that are well articulated (not the big lorries)!

Edited by BuddieinEK

8 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

So are you saying that a viable suggestion should not be considered because you cannot see a way past a potential obstacle?

Do you feel there is no merit whatsoever in even considering the idea?

Do you believe that it is totally impossible to work around obstacles?

Do you believe it is impossible to take the suggestion as a starting point and work together to improve upon the suggestion and make something work for the benefit of the club?

I look forward to your replies, point 1-4.

Point 1. It's not viable

2.yes.

3. In general....no. On this suggestion. Non starter.

4. In this instance . Yes.

A couple of questions for you.

Have you been in the Dome ?

Do you understand the principle of how it works ?

If you can answer yes to both of the above, perhaps you can explain how it could be done without the Dome deflating and collapsing.?