St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016

Mr Zo

I did wonder whether Jack Baird might have been worth a try in central midfield instead of Clarkson. When does Kyle Hutton's emergency loan end? Losing Quinn and Magennis in quick succession was our undoing, as well as sending in Clarkson as a replacement and continuing to freeze out a decent midfielder and reasonable goal threat at Championship level like Tom Walsh.

I did wonder whether Jack Baird might have been worth a try in central midfield instead of Clarkson. When does Kyle Hutton's emergency loan end? Losing Quinn and Magennis in quick succession was our undoing, as well as sending in Clarkson as a replacement and continuing to freeze out a decent midfielder and reasonable goal threat at Championship level like Tom Walsh.

Forgot about Hutton, what a bizarre decision it was to let him leave in December. Yes he was hopeless, but he's far more of a holding midfielder than either McLear or Clarkson. He would have been a good option to have from the bench.

Agree with all of that. It is the lack of on field leadership from the experienced players that is killing us.

Been an issue for the whole season. Webster Irvine and McKenzie all go hiding when the pressure is on. All experienced players but not one of them is a leader.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

Been an issue for the whole season. Webster Irvine and McKenzie all go hiding when the pressure is on. All experienced players but not one of them is a leader.

Harsh on MacKenzie, thought he had another solid game and was one of the players showing any appetite in the final 30 minutes along with McAllister and Sutton.

Just now, notabuddie said:

Webster was to blame for the goal he was in the middle and should have been in command but again he was pushed aside the ball goes into the centre and they have a free shot

It was a rather half hearted punch from Gallacher in goals, must of cleared it about 5 years further forward at most.

Harsh on MacKenzie, thought he had another solid game and was one of the players showing any appetite in the final 30 minutes along with McAllister and Sutton.

I'm not saying he had a poor game, he was probably our best player. He, like the other two, just focus on themselves though. They don't lead the team or inspire confidence and calmness in the younger players.

My Cousin turned to me at the Clarkson substitution and said " Thats the sides evened up now!"
How true.

Not one to slate a player, but constructive criticism is fine. We look much better since Clarkson was dropped, weak and lazy any time he comes on. Two incidents summed him up today. Chases down a player on the main stand side and basically runs past him, no pressure and no footballing intelligence to stop and press. Second when Morgan was running to the corner, Clarkson demands the ball, can't control the simple pass and is unable to track back.

Just can't see us picking up enough points whilst the team above drop points.

Webster is a bombscare, Clarkson shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

I'm assuming Quinn only gets paid 60% of his wages then seeing as he can't play for 90 minutes.... [emoji19]

What pisses me off is our talented young players need to constantly put up with the dross so called professional experienced players beside them.

Jack Ross substitutions cost us the game today with the Quinn substitution. We sat deep for the last 30 minutes and got what we deserved as you can always rely on our keepers to make a total F*** up - Gallachers attempted punch [emoji85]we need to face reality we are going down and deservedly so.

Quinn had to be replaced as he cannot play a full game due to back problems. Magennis was injured. Options on the bench were minimal. Problem more related to lack of confidence in defending a lead and an inability to play against 10 men. Moreover for all the sporadic exciting attacking play we hardly troubled their keeper.

Well, that was a real boot in the balls. Going down to 10 men seemed to galvanise Morton and we were unable to assert ourselves again in the middle of the park. McLear looked ready to come on before the incident with Quinn so I'm not sure how much that influenced the substitution but if Quinn wasn't injured then Ross's tinkering with the team cost us again.

That being said, we had the ball in the final third on three separate occasions in injury time and didn't have the f**king sense to run the clock down. That is schoolboy stuff and simply not acceptable at this level.

When all is said and done that is why we lost a precious two points and made things very difficult for ourselves.

58 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The main issue with Ross is that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. And why would he?

He's an apprentice learning on the job, making his mistakes on the job, as you'd expect of a new manager. The problem is that he's going to take us down as a result. His appointment remains nothing short of a disgraceful decision and it is the decision that will ultimately relegate us.

That's two experienced managers in McCall and Duffy who've came to Paisley in the last fortnight and taken a point despite having ten men. This is no coincidence, guys like that are going to have a rookie like Ross on toast all day long.

We were a man up until Clarkson came on, then it was ten players a piece. If anything that dud is worse than a man down. He's the worst Saints player I've ever seen and I can't believe how many minutes he keeps getting.

Used to think you were quite a sensible poster. However you fail to see the bigger picture mate and im not talking about our manager before you jump the gun. 

I was full of praise last week and for 45 minutes today they were equally as good. 
Last week we didn't get what we deserved but this week we got exactly what we deserved. You would have thought we were the team down to 10 men. 
2 weeks in a row we have shown that we don't have the squad to deal with Quinn going off or the tactical know how to change it and cope with him not being on the park. 
Credit to Morton, they never gave up and went for it but we did everything we could to allow them back into the game.

Should have went 2 up top. As is was Sutton fell deep, Morgan came inside to much allowing therefore no out ball Morton to squeeze the game. No urgency either. Big test of character now

4 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Quinn had to be replaced as he cannot play a full game due to back problems. Magennis was injured. Options on the bench were minimal. Problem more related to lack of confidence in defending a lead and an inability to play against 10 men. Moreover for all the sporadic exciting attacking play we hardly troubled their keeper.

Here's a few suggestions when we don't have many midfield options on the bench and lose Quinn (as usual, after 60 minutes - we should have a better plan than replace him with David Clarkson by now) and Magennis - if we need to get some muscle in midfield we could move Sutton back (throw in Hardie upfront), throw Jack Baird in at central midfield, instead of always bringing on Clarkson and losing the midfield battle for the last 30 minutes, or option C ask Mallan to start tackling.