St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016

Mr Zo

28 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

We have closed the gap in December then.let it slide again. We lost points again at home against teams who had ten men. It's hard to see the brilliant winning run happening 

Gutted but not down yet. Our standard of play is much higher than it was earlier this season.  Tough, trying,testing, traumatic times.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

I agree that McLear isn't the issue. I rate McLear highly and think he has the potential to be a first team regular like the 3 you mentioned.

I cannot for the life of me understand what Jack Ross sees in Clarkson. Utterly washed up and done.

He should have went with either Hardie or Shankland up front alongside Sutton and stretched Morton.

Shankland being my preference as he has been effective when he has come on last 20-30 mins of games

Instead he made the game 10 vs 10 by bringing on Clarkson

JR needs to do well in the window or we could be struggling as the other sides above us are picking up points and battling already. Jan and Feb are massive.

Minimum second bottom. Pretty sure we would stay up from there through a play off

See that's the kind of stuff I had to listen to from some of the people around me at the match today. I think Clarkson is just a convenient target. Don;t get me wrong, I don't think it was one of Clarkson better performances, but he didn't make a hash of a rather simple looking Morton corner, opting to punch at the ball instead of catching it. And he wasn't responsible for the utter collapse of the St Mirren central midfield when the ineffective McLear and Mallan were left to man it after Quinn and Magennis went off. Yet Gallagher, McLear and Mallan all get off scott free whilst Clarksons the bad guy who should be hounded out of the club. I'm not altogether sure that it was Clarksons decision to leave no-one up front at a succession of Morton corner kicks, meaning that Morton could load up the St Mirren box without any fear of a counter, and when the ball did get cleared there was no-one in position to hold the ball up or to retain possession. Yet Jack Ross gets an easy ride again tonight. 

The first 60 minutes from St Mirren were more than decent. They played well with purpose. I thought Webster and McKenzie looked solid, Naismith certainly seemed to be playing with more confidence, Quinn and Magennis looked capable, and I thought McAllaster was the top performer, not only doing the glory work up front well, but also - as I have mentioned in previous matches - doing the defensive work well as well, often dropping in to cover Naismith when needed. The only negatives for me were minor, Mallan appeared to be a bit of a passenger up to that point, and Morgan - whilst reasonably effective on the ball, was consistently guilty of failing in his defensive duties leaving Gary Irvine with two, sometimes three, Morton players coming down the right wing at him with no cover. Then when Quinn went of and Morton went to 10 men it all fell apart. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

1 minute ago, Stuart Dickson said:

See that's the kind of stuff I had to listen to from some of the people around me at the match today. I think Clarkson is just a convenient target. Don;t get me wrong, I don't think it was one of Clarkson better performances, but he didn't make a hash of a rather simple looking Morton corner, opting to punch at the ball instead of catching it. And he wasn't responsible for the utter collapse of the St Mirren central midfield when the ineffective McLear and Mallan were to man it after Quinn and Magennis went off. Yet Gallagher, McLear and Mallan all get off scott free whilst Clarksons the bad guy who should be hounded out of the club. I'm not altogether sure that it was Clarksons decision to leave no-one up front at a succession of Morton corner kicks, meaning that Morton could load up the St Mirren box without any fear of a counter, and when the ball did get cleared there was no-one in position to hold the ball up or to retain possession. Yet Jack Ross gets an easy ride again tonight. 

The first 60 minutes from St Mirren were more than decent. They played well with purpose. I thought Webster and McKenzie looked solid, Naismith certainly seemed to be playing with more confidence, Quinn and Magennis looked capable, and I thought McAllaster was the top performer, not only doing the glory work up front well, but also - as I have mentioned in previous matches - doing the defensive work well as well, often dropping in to cover Naismith when needed. The only negatives for me were minor, Mallan appeared to be a bit of a passenger up to that point, and Morgan - whilst reasonably effective on the ball, was consistently guilty of failing in his defensive duties leaving Gary Irvine with two, sometimes three, Morton players coming down the right wing at him with no cover. Then when Quinn went of and Morton went to 10 men it all fell apart. 

Jack Ross won't get an easy ride

He brought on Clarkson and into the central midfield

Clarkson is an easy target but it easy to see how as he brings nothing to the table

I'm afraid he is now finished and struggles to run

Ross should have brought on a forward with a bit of pace beside Sutton and pushed Morton further back 

By keeping Sutton on his own they weren't worried about the space behind them and they pushed up and squeezed the play

Very naive of Ross

3 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

See that's the kind of stuff I had to listen to from some of the people around me at the match today. I think Clarkson is just a convenient target. Don;t get me wrong, I don't think it was one of Clarkson better performances, but he didn't make a hash of a rather simple looking Morton corner, opting to punch at the ball instead of catching it. And he wasn't responsible for the utter collapse of the St Mirren central midfield when the ineffective McLear and Mallan were left to man it after Quinn and Magennis went off. Yet Gallagher, McLear and Mallan all get off scott free whilst Clarksons the bad guy who should be hounded out of the club. I'm not altogether sure that it was Clarksons decision to leave no-one up front at a succession of Morton corner kicks, meaning that Morton could load up the St Mirren box without any fear of a counter, and when the ball did get cleared there was no-one in position to hold the ball up or to retain possession. Yet Jack Ross gets an easy ride again tonight. 

Sorry Clarkson is washed up and done. Should never be near our first team and should NEVER have been signed. Ross will bin him

Gallacher is utter junk also. Nowhere near good enough. Another who should NEVER have been resigned. Ross will bin him too

McLear is a smashing young talent who has the potential and is good enough to make the first team on a regular basis.

Mallan is overrated and not fulfilling the potential he has. I haven't seen him dominate the midfield in any Championship match this or last season. Couldn't fill McGinn or McLeans boots. Mallan should have stepped up today but he never does.

I agree on McKenzie and Webster. McKenzie has looks far more solid beside Webster. I'd keep McKenzie long term. Offload Webster.

I don't think we were more than decent for 60 mins today. I think we were very average for 60 mins and very poor when Morton went down to 10.

We need to get someone to play up alongside Sutton to be more of a threat. Hopefully we find that player in the window. Shankland and Hardie have both contributed damn all this season.

At the moment the jury is out on Ross. We are not picking up the points we need to. We have lost a lot of points to teams round about us. We need to start winning.

Ross is a rookie manager fighting a battle that an experienced manager would find hard.

6 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Clarkson is an easy target but it easy to see how as he brings nothing to the table

Ross should have brought on a forward with a bit of pace beside Sutton and pushed Morton further back 

By keeping Sutton on his own they weren't worried about the space behind them and they pushed up and squeezed the play

Very naive of Ross

Agree with all of that

2 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Sorry Clarkson is washed up and done. Should never be near our first team and should NEVER have been signed. Ross will bin him

Gallacher is utter junk also. Nowhere near good enough. Another who should NEVER have been resigned. Ross will bin him too

McLear is a smashing young talent who has the potential and is good enough to make the first team on a regular basis.

Mallan is overrated and not fulfilling the potential he has. I haven't seen him dominate the midfield in any Championship match this or last season. Couldn't fill McGinn or McLeans boots. Mallan should have stepped up today but he never does.

I agree on McKenzie and Webster. McKenzie has looks far more solid beside Webster. I'd keep McKenzie long term. Offload Webster.

I don't think we were more than decent for 60 mins today. I think we were very average for 60 mins and very poor when Morton went down to 10.

We need to get someone to play up alongside Sutton to be more of a threat. Hopefully we find that player in the window. Shankland and Hardie have both contributed damn all this season.

At the moment the jury is out on Ross. We are not picking up the points we need to. We have lost a lot of points to teams round about us. We need to start winning.

Ross is a rookie manager fighting a battle that an experienced manager would find hard.

But that apart, life is good?

We play better when Rocco Quinn is on the park but 60 minutes is his max at present. 

Jim Duffy deserves credit for putting on players who pushed forward, rather than sitting back, after the sending off. A learning point for Jack Ross.

Still...tough to lose out on 3 points in the final seconds of 4 minutes of extra time.

Goalkeepers punching catchable balls does my f**king head in.

I get it. It's playing the percentages game. Punching the ball away eliminates the chance of a handling error when trying to catch it.

However, if a guy is competent enough to play in goal for a living, I think there's a high percentage chance that he isn't going to make a handling error most of the time.

Unless you 100% know what you want to achieve when considering punching the ball, just f**king catch it and leave punching to boxers.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I get it. It's playing the percentages game. Punching the ball away eliminates the chance of a handling error when trying to catch it.

However, if a guy is competent enough to play in goal for a living, I think there's a high percentage chance that he isn't going to make a handling error most of the time.

Unless you 100% know what you want to achieve when considering punching the ball, just f**king catch it and leave punching to boxers.

Thanks.

or if you are going to punch a corner, try punching it more than 5 yards, otherwise it's more of a slap than a punch.

23 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Very naive of Ross

When Clarkson came on we were being totally overrun in midfield.

Your solution of putting on an extra forward to give us two up front whilst still being totally overrun in midfield would have helped how, exactly?

Hardie is the only forward we have with pace, and had he come on instead of Clarkson I sincerely doubt we would have fared any better... I wonder if we would even have held on for a point!

8 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

The goalie sold that for us today. Fair enough we sat back too much but it was going to work until the goalie fluffed it. Clarkson is finished, I've seen milk turn quicker and unless Shankland was injured he should have came on.

The young lad fcuked up and nobody will know it more than him.

Crucifying a young keeper with a coach who is worse will help us not one iota.

Just now, BuddieinEK said:

The young lad fcuked up and nobody will know it more than him.

Crucifying a young keeper with a coach who is worse will help us not one iota.

I'm not crucifying him i actually think he's came on a bit in the last month. Just pointing out what others said Clarkson wasn't the reason they scored, although he's finished IMO.

15 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

When Clarkson came on we were being totally overrun in midfield.

Your solution of putting on an extra forward to give us two up front whilst still being totally overrun in midfield would have helped how, exactly?

Hardie is the only forward we have with pace, and had he come on instead of Clarkson I sincerely doubt we would have fared any better... I wonder if we would even have held on for a point!

No we weren't

That totally changed when Clarkson came on

Hardie or Shankland should had been brought on instead and go for the second goal instead of trying to run down the clock with our poor defence

33 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Thanks.

Gallagher been decent recently. I wondered if the wind caught the ball and it dipped earlier than he anticipated. At the very least, the weather has to be factored into much of what both 'keepers had to deal with today. Both looked in two minds as to how to deal with criss balls at times.

14 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

No we weren't

That totally changed when Clarkson came on

Hardie or Shankland should had been brought on instead and go for the second goal instead of trying to run down the clock with our poor defence

But a second goal would never have come withoput a midfield to help provide ammunition for an isolated front two!

25 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory, i`m beginning to think the job is too big for J R, sad times looming.

Only 13 games in Neil and too early to judge. We have to get out of the cycle of sacking managers, someone has to be given a chance.

Gutted with that today. Webster set the tone as soon as they went down to 10 men by not continuing what we had been doing well but started to play possession football at the back and the young guys followed their captains lead. They should have continued pressing as they had been doing and running the 10 men ragged instead of giving them possession and confidence.

And I was raging with Morgan when all he had to do at the end was take the ball into their corner flag but passed it straight inside to a Morton player to start their last attack resulting in their goal.

Still 100% behind Ross and he looked raging afterwards at the naïveté of the team.

And Clarkson and C Gallagher should be nowhere near the first team but I am sure Ross is aware of that.