St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016

Mr Zo

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

But a second goal would never have come withoput a midfield to help provide ammunition for an isolated front two!

Don't get your point

They over ran our midfield because their defenders were pushing into our half because they had a high line

No threat up front to push them back

Attack best form of defence

Clarkson should never been brought on especially in midfield

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Gallagher been decent recently. I wondered if the wind caught the ball and it dipped earlier than he anticipated. At the very least, the weather has to be factored into much of what both 'keepers had to deal with today. Both looked in two minds as to how to deal with criss balls at times.

I'm applying that post to two incidents in today's game, but it's also my world view on the topic, whatever the weather.

Unless you're Manuel Neuer, just catch it.

Don't get your point
They over ran our midfield because their defenders were pushing into our half because they had a high line
No threat up front to push them back
Attack best form of defence
Clarkson should never been brought on especially in midfield

Alex Rae proved beyond doubt that two players up front are NOT a threat if your midfield is lightweight.

That persistance is what started this seasons rot.

Ross probably knows a lot better than either of us what went wrong... But I trust him to turn things around.

Indeed. Set pieces are a huge part of the game and having a player who's so good at them in your team is a huge asset. The amount of goals we have scored and points we have won from Mallans set pieces in the last two years speaks to that.

Today was just the latest.

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

Sorry Clarkson is washed up and done. Should never be near our first team and should NEVER have been signed. Ross will bin him

Gallacher is utter junk also. Nowhere near good enough. Another who should NEVER have been resigned. Ross will bin him too

McLear is a smashing young talent who has the potential and is good enough to make the first team on a regular basis.

Mallan is overrated and not fulfilling the potential he has. I haven't seen him dominate the midfield in any Championship match this or last season. Couldn't fill McGinn or McLeans boots. Mallan should have stepped up today but he never does.

I agree on McKenzie and Webster. McKenzie has looks far more solid beside Webster. I'd keep McKenzie long term. Offload Webster.

I don't think we were more than decent for 60 mins today. I think we were very average for 60 mins and very poor when Morton went down to 10.

We need to get someone to play up alongside Sutton to be more of a threat. Hopefully we find that player in the window. Shankland and Hardie have both contributed damn all this season.

At the moment the jury is out on Ross. We are not picking up the points we need to. We have lost a lot of points to teams round about us. We need to start winning.

Ross is a rookie manager fighting a battle that an experienced manager would find hard.

Meant Callum Gallacher. Not our keeper. Although do think we need 2 new keepers :-)

Edited by lenziebud

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Indeed. Set pieces are a huge part of the game and having a player who's so good at them in your team is a huge asset. The amount of goals we have scored and points we have won from Mallans set pieces in the last two years speaks to that.

I'm afraid we need a lot more than that from Mallan. Seen a lot of young players come through SMFC over the years and Mallan is not doing it for me. The talent and potential are there but its not happening and for me he's not improving. Don't think he's good enough for top level. He may get the move but don't think he'll push on after that. He should be dominating in the Championship but his overall play comes nowhere near it

I'm afraid we need a lot more than that from Mallan. Seen a lot of young players come through SMFC over the years and Mallan is not doing it for me. The talent and potential are there but its not happening and for me he's not improving. Don't think he's good enough for top level. He may get the move but don't think he'll push on after that. He should be dominating in the Championship but his overall play comes nowhere near it

I felt exactly the same about a young player called Lambert when we dropped to div 1 as it was then called.

I was sure he would shine... He disappeared. I was gutted.

Mallan is scarily similar. Like you, I expect him to shine. I saw him talk to McLear trying to pass on advice today, but he is not a natural leader or driving force and can only shine in this league with one of them beside him.

I had hoped he might have stepped up and assumed additional responsibility today, but it just never happened.

Scarily similar to Lambert who turned out not too bad a player after all.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Alex Rae proved beyond doubt that two players up front are NOT a threat if your midfield is lightweight.

That persistance is what started this seasons rot.

Ross probably knows a lot better than either of us what went wrong... But I trust him to turn things around.

Well i hope so and learns from the mistakes

He's 20 years old. What more do you want than regular goals and assists? You can't expect a 20 year old kid to be a leader in the team.

That's for the more senior players in the team.

I think Jack Ross brought on Clarkston and that was a mistake. To me Jack's fault today. I don't know why callum gallacher gets stick he is nit getting much playing time but we must get rid of Clarkston. 2 points threw away today

I don't think Jack Ross brought on Clarkston... I know he did.

Managers prerogative and a decision I'm sure he made with good intent.

Do you think he intentionally fcuked things up?

Disappointed with the result, but not depressed.

We played well against a very strong Morton Team.

We are heading in the correct. direction.

Add a few players in the Window, a wee tweak here and there and we'll be flying up that Table.

NO RELEGATION THIS SEASON..

JACK ROSS - MAKING ST MIRREN GREAT AGAIN

9 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I felt exactly the same about a young player called Lambert when we dropped to div 1 as it was then called.

I was sure he would shine... He disappeared. I was gutted.

Mallan is scarily similar. Like you, I expect him to shine. I saw him talk to McLear trying to pass on advice today, but he is not a natural leader or driving force and can only shine in this league with one of them beside him.

I had hoped he might have stepped up and assumed additional responsibility today, but it just never happened.

Scarily similar to Lambert who turned out not too bad a player after all.

Yes agree, I was the same on Lambert. I was thinking that as I wrote about Mallan. Don't think the same will happen with Mallan  though. Don't mind being wrong though

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

He's 20 years old. What more do you want than regular goals and assists? You can't expect a 20 year old kid to be a leader in the team.

I expect a player who is being touted for the top level to be heads above most Championship midfield players and Mallan is nowhere near it. He's not being scoring regular goals and I want someone in midfield who is on the park for more than just having a good delivery at set pieces.

I guess we will have to disagree but for me Mallan has went backwards and is not progressing.

Personally I'd want footballer who can function in a team and who will do the job his position demands of him. I don't think St Mirren can afford the luxury of having the football equivalent of a fieldgoal kicker posing around the park barely functioning. He's not even that good a kicker. One in 14 set pieces paid off for St Mirren yesterday. It's hardly prolific. Indeed I'm certain St Mirren could find someone just as capable of delivering the ball into a pre agreed area of the box for players to attack, who can also pass, tackle and function in open play.

For me Malian seems more like a poor Simon Lappin than a Paul Lambert. Lambert was a player who learned quickly, who became adaptable moving from striker to winger to holding midfielder. Mallan doesn't appear to have learned anything in the last two years and isn't even capable in his own position

Personally I'd want footballer who can function in a team and who will do the job his position demands of him. I don't think St Mirren can afford the luxury of having the football equivalent of a fieldgoal kicker posing around the park barely functioning. He's not even that good a kicker. One in 14 set pieces paid off for St Mirren yesterday. It's hardly prolific. Indeed I'm certain St Mirren could find someone just as capable of delivering the ball into a pre agreed area of the box for players to attack, who can also pass, tackle and function in open play.

For me Malian seems more like a poor Simon Lappin than a Paul Lambert. Lambert was a player who learned quickly, who became adaptable moving from striker to winger to holding midfielder. Mallan doesn't appear to have learned anything in the last two years and isn't even capable in his own position

At our current level, a poor Simon Lappin would still be a blessing!

I love watching young players but I think we have to many playing especially in midfield. and like Rocco Quinn as a player. but we need experienced players who can play more than 60 mins. Other teams out work us and over power us. it needs to be addressed real soon and if that means Morgan. McGennis or McAllistair have a spell on the bench then so be it. Fair play to Jim Duffy I was sitting the main stand and his player who was sent off he gave such a bollocking. it was a sending off all day. Morton are not a great team but they work hard. JR has to get players in ASAP.

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

Like a certain young Tony Fitzpatrick - captain at the tender age of 17?

Did we choose to shoot into the Home end first in the last 2 home games or did we lose the toss and the Away teams decide. 

Got to get back to shooting into the Away End Goals in the first half again. 

Edited by shull

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Fair play to Jim Duffy I was sitting the main stand and his player who was sent off he gave such a bollocking.

Aye, he certainly did. It was blatant thuggery, and Duffy didn't appreciate it any more than the rest of us. I was impressed with his reaction.