Jump to content

St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016


Mr Zo
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Totally agree on the short termism point, that makes the decision to sack Rae after only six league games, three draws and a bundle of cup wins seem so senseless? I think it was purely down to ego, and the chairman wanting his own pick. Trouble is though it will be the fans picking up the bill yet again for the board's folly.

The bundle of cup wins included the 3-0 win over Edinburgh City where Rae seemed to content to hold that despite everyone knowing that one more goal was needed to progress.  We lost out on a fair bit of money due to that, as Ayr who went through got a home tie with Aberdeen which would have given us a good turn at the gate plus prize money for progressing from the group stage.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

Totally agree on the short termism point, that makes the decision to sack Rae after only six league games, three draws and a bundle of cup wins seem so senseless? I think it was purely down to ego, and the chairman wanting his own pick. Trouble is though it will be the fans picking up the bill yet again for the board's folly.

I think that's a fair point. 6 games did seem pretty short. Dunno it was down to ego on Scott's part though.

 

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Really? With the likes of Gow and Thommo who was past his best before date?

Thompson still offered something, also Goodwin was there, Watson, Sean Kelly, all of them would have featured this season. Agnew wasn't great but still bagged a few goals, Howieson another who wasn't great but could play a few positions and had a couple of decent games. 

With Quinn's injury this season Rae started with 2 centre midfielders. As it turned out one of them was worse than Goodwin, Agnew, Howieson, and even Carswell. That's criminal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, scottd said:

The bundle of cup wins included the 3-0 win over Edinburgh City where Rae seemed to content to hold that despite everyone knowing that one more goal was needed to progress.  We lost out on a fair bit of money due to that, as Ayr who went through got a home tie with Aberdeen which would have given us a good turn at the gate plus prize money for progressing from the group stage.  

C'mon Scott, I remember seeing Rae doing his conkers on the touchline willing the team to crack on and get the fourth goal. And despite ilfounded speculation i am no fan of Rae, but i think the decision to sack him so early, and replace with Jack Loss will cost the club a helluva lot of money. I know he is going nowhere soon, but when he does you can be sure the board who made the mistake of appointing him will be looking for others to pay the bill!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Duffy showed his experience with the players he brought on, TBF Morton had a few chances & came at us in the second half again IMO that was down to Duffy's experience, he made the right changes where we made the wrong ones. As said in previous post we sat far to deep so think we really knew a goal was coming. I do think we are improving, the young players are doing great but I think their inexperience shows up at times yesterday's game was an example. Dumbarton result yesterday really showed that we are still in for a rough ride. Here's to 2017 to all of us for for showing our loyalty towards the team, the club needs us to stick by them. Onwards & upwards hopefully. Happy new year.

Ps
Really felt like a defeat yesterday but they did deserve the point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I think that's a fair point. 6 games did seem pretty short. Dunno it was down to ego on Scott's part though.

 

Thompson still offered something, also Goodwin was there, Watson, Sean Kelly, all of them would have featured this season. Agnew wasn't great but still bagged a few goals, Howieson another who wasn't great but could play a few positions and had a couple of decent games. 

With Quinn's injury this season Rae started with 2 centre midfielders. As it turned out one of them was worse than Goodwin, Agnew, Howieson, and even Carswell. That's criminal. 

So know you are saying poor old Alex Rae lost a load of good players he didnt have the budget to replace like for like? 

Those last three players you quote i dont think Rae recruited?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

C'mon Scott, I remember seeing Rae doing his conkers on the touchline willing the team to crack on and get the fourth goal. And despite ilfounded speculation i am no fan of Rae, but i think the decision to sack him so early, and replace with Jack Loss will cost the club a helluva lot of money. I know he is going nowhere soon, but when he does you can be sure the board who made the mistake of appointing him will be looking for others to pay the bill!

I heard that we lost out on £80,000 by not qualifying from the League Cup group stage, so it can be said that Rae has already cost us plenty.  I backed Rae when he was manager when many others were highly critical but he's gone now and we need to move on.  Also if Jack 'One Loss In Five' Ross stays the course then it won't cost anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ged62 said:

Duffy showed his experience with the players he brought on, TBF Morton had a few chances & came at us in the second half again IMO that was down to Duffy's experience, he made the right changes where we made the wrong ones. As said in previous post we sat far to deep so think we really knew a goal was coming. I do think we are improving, the young players are doing great but I think their inexperience shows up at times yesterday's game was an example. Dumbarton result yesterday really showed that we are still in for a rough ride. Here's to 2017 to all of us for for showing our loyalty towards the team, the club needs us to stick by them. Onwards & upwards hopefully. Happy new year.

Ps
Really felt like a defeat yesterday but they did deserve the point emoji30.png

Who would you have brought on? Two of our centre mids, and one of our wingers couldn't continue.

 

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

So know you are saying poor old Alex Rae lost a load of good players he didnt have the budget to replace like for like? 

Those last three players you quote i dont think Rae recruited?

Rae didn't sign any of the player I mentioned, that's my point. All of those players would improve our current squad (maybe not first 11, but definitely squad). The only one of those players that he couldn't have kept was Watson. All the others would have stayed, he got rid of them to bring in his own players. And his own players were worse than what he'd let go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, scottd said:

I heard that we lost out on £80,000 by not qualifying from the League Cup group stage, so it can be said that Rae has already cost us plenty.  I backed Rae when he was manager when many others were highly critical but he's gone now and we need to move on.  Also if Jack 'One Loss In Five' Ross stays the course then it won't cost anything.

Dont know about that £80k, but i know we will lose hundreds of thousands if relegated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strange then as he and Ross were appointed at the same time, at their respective clubs last season one got their team relegated, and one stabilised and manage their charges to safety. But for reasons best known to the board we sack the one with a track record of succesful management and replace him with the rookie who just got relegated???
you dont have to be any sort of expert to see the flaw in that recruitment process, if you are going to the expense, upheaval and gamble of replacing a management team surely the major requirement among potential candidates is to select someone who can evidence being better in experience, achievements etc than the team you are sacking?
is it just me, or isn't that just bleedin obvious?

It's just you.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

C'mon Scott, I remember seeing Rae doing his conkers on the touchline willing the team to crack on and get the fourth goal. And despite ilfounded speculation i am no fan of Rae, but i think the decision to sack him so early, and replace with Jack Loss will cost the club a helluva lot of money. I know he is going nowhere soon, but when he does you can be sure the board who made the mistake of appointing him will be looking for others to pay the bill!


Your childish misspelling of the managers name just serves to highlight your true agenda and undermine your own petty and personally motivated arguement.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shull said:

Thought the atmosphere was great at the Stadium yesterday. 

Nothing better than hearing the three home Stands giving Oh When The Saints laldy. 

Once we go on our winning run, Greenhill Road will rock. 

The only time it rocks is when the Emirates A380 takes off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find all this talk of us playing good football a bit strange. I felt the only time we actually looked threatening was when we went route one and tried to pick up the second and third ball.

Any time we played through the midfield, we generally lost possession quickly, and a complete lack of off the ball shape allowed Morton to put real pressure on us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect a player who is being touted for the top level to be heads above most Championship midfield players and Mallan is nowhere near it. He's not being scoring regular goals and I want someone in midfield who is on the park for more than just having a good delivery at set pieces.
I guess we will have to disagree but for me Mallan has went backwards and is not progressing.



Who's touting him for the top level?

He's got 4 goals this season and he got 14 last season. 18 goals in a season in a half from midfield in a season and a half. That's good going for any midfielder, never mind a youngster in a struggling team.

How many goals you think he should be scoring?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

 

 


Who's touting him for the top level?

He's got 4 goals this season and he got 14 last season. 18 goals in a season in a half from midfield in a season and a half. That's good going for any midfielder, never mind a youngster in a struggling team.

How many goals you think he should be scoring?

 

 

I'M Mallan us an excellent player who is at present playing deeper than he, the manager and perhaps most of us fans would like. His goal tally is OK with me but I think we will see more from him of he plays further upfield.  The young guy Storrie from Aberdeen will,by repute, take on the ball winner role in midfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'M Mallan us an excellent player who is at present playing deeper than he, the manager and perhaps most of us fans would like. His goal tally is OK with me but I think we will see more from him of he plays further upfield.  The young guy Storrie from Aberdeen will,by repute, take on the ball winner role in midfield.



I agree with this. For Mallan to be his most effective he needs a proper DM behind him to do the tackling and ball winning for him. He hasn't had that all season, so isn't reaching the levels he did last term. Still been one of our best players though.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shull said:

Thought the atmosphere was great at the Stadium yesterday. 

Nothing better than hearing the three home Stands giving Oh When The Saints laldy. 

Once we go on our winning run, Greenhill Road will rock. 

Huh? I can only assume this was being played through a tannoy system that only works in the family stand and nowhere else? All I could hear was the group of lads sat behind me repeatedly having a go at the main stand side assistant ref accusing her of being unable to keep up with play, despite her on several occasions completely outrunning the St Mirren full back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huh? I can only assume this was being played through a tannoy system that only works in the family stand and nowhere else? All I could hear was the group of lads sat behind me repeatedly having a go at the main stand side assistant ref accusing her of being unable to keep up with play, despite her on several occasions completely outrunning the St Mirren full back. 

Join us in the west stand for some atmosphere.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my first game of the season yesterday. I thought we played some nice football in the first half and attacked well down the wings, generally ball to feet with some good link up and 1-2's. Webster defends well but his distribution is poor, he also managed to beat himself at one point in the second half, despite having no one near him. Felt sorry for the keeper, sold the jerseys' but it was a terrible way to drop 2 points which could prove critical at the end of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brian1877 said:

my first game of the season yesterday. I thought we played some nice football in the first half and attacked well down the wings, generally ball to feet with some good link up and 1-2's. Webster defends well but his distribution is poor, he also managed to beat himself at one point in the second half, despite having no one near him. Felt sorry for the keeper, sold the jerseys' but it was a terrible way to drop 2 points which could prove critical at the end of the season.

Yeah I'd agree with this. 60 minutes went well. The last 30 St Mirren lost their way with Quinn and Magennis going off. And for all of the gnashing and wailing going on about what Ross should or shouldn't have done he nearly got away with it with 3 points. It was Gallaghers mistake that proved costly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...