Last Youth Striker to score a 1st team goal?

Mr Zo

At the game last night a friend was saying that Steven McGarry was the last striker to come through our youth system to score a goal for the first team in a league game.

I found that quite sad that we haven't produced many strikers through our youth system despite bringing through several talented midfielders and defenders who have scored.

It always disappointed me that in the time Steven Thompson was at the club that we never had a young striker bursting onto the scene. The experience he coukd have passed on would have been invaluable. What we would give to have a Lavety or McGarry coming through the ranks now.

Maybe Osri who came on with 9 mins to go last night will be the one to break that long drought. Let's hope so.

A bit OT, but mind the young boy McMillan I think his name was, came on as a sub in a big game at Dens Park years ago, and I think their keeper booted the ball off his bum and it span into the net to give us a win?

My memory is hazy but I think that's what happened. Don't think the boy played for us again!

1 hour ago, div said:

A bit OT, but mind the young boy McMillan I think his name was, came on as a sub in a big game at Dens Park years ago, and I think their keeper booted the ball off his bum and it span into the net to give us a win?

My memory is hazy but I think that's what happened. Don't think the boy played for us again!

Remember that goal coming up on the vidiprinter - think the guy's name was Johnny McMillan and he was one of the many former Saints who ended up with Campbell Money at Stranraer before he dropped into the juniors.

The only home grown strikers I can think of scoring since Steven McGarry left (not including one for Basher) are David McKenna and Thomas Reilly. A pretty poor return - as many home grown midfielders scored in the first half last night!

13 hours ago, div said:

Wasn't that fixture a few years prior to the McGarry era ? I remember Jamie Fullarton put us 1-0 ahead before Chic Charnley for Dundee caught us out with a quickly taken free kick to equalise. McMillan's goal was very late in the game, it felt as though we had stolen the points.

16 hours ago, Stu said:

Remember that goal coming up on the vidiprinter - think the guy's name was Johnny McMillan and he was one of the many former Saints who ended up with Campbell Money at Stranraer before he dropped into the juniors.

The only home grown strikers I can think of scoring since Steven McGarry left (not including one for Basher) are David McKenna and Thomas Reilly. A pretty poor return - as many home grown midfielders scored in the first half last night!

Vidiprinter???? Was it Dickie Davies that gave the result?

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Wasn't that fixture a few years prior to the McGarry era ? I remember Jamie Fullarton put us 1-0 ahead before Chic Charnley for Dundee caught us out with a quickly taken free kick to equalise. McMillan's goal was very late in the game, it felt as though we had stolen the points.

Yes mate, reckon mid-90s for that one. Soccerbase doesn't have details of that game itself but Johnny McMillan is there, made 8 sub appearances for us and scored 1 goal.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=11825

Was with us season 95-96.

Similar St Mirren career to John McMillan and perhaps the same vintage, does anyone remember Fraser Campbell who scored the only goal in a match at Somerset Park, may have been a Scottish Cup tie ?

Fraser Campbell was a good bit earlier. I think 85-6. He was in one of the saints squads I had on my bedroom wall as a kid

Actually 80-1

http://www.snspix.com/fraser-campbell-lex-richardson-raymond-bell-john-young/print/793658.html

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Fraser Campbell was a good bit earlier. I think 85-6. He was in one of the saints squads I had on my bedroom wall as a kid

Actually 80-1

http://www.snspix.com/fraser-campbell-lex-richardson-raymond-bell-john-young/print/793658.html

The 1-0 win away to Ayr, in which Fraser Campbell scored the winner,  was in the 4th round in Feb 1985