The Demise Of The SNP

Stuart Dickson

7 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

That's my reading, too, oaky - as I said, though, this report's almost a year old so it may have changed in that period.

Does anyone actually know exactly what the problem with the NHS is?

I am not persuaded it has anything to do with the government. Nor do I believe that it is as simple as a general funding issue.

It strikes me that it is simply too big an organisation with all the problems of a big company. i.e. trying to navigate an oil tanker up a canal.

If my gut feeling on this is correct then it is hard to see how it can ever work at the current scale.

Edited by oaksoft

13 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

The wait times are measured differently in NHS England, too. The other 3 NHSs measure from the moment you report to the desk whereas waiting times in NHS England are measured from the point at which a doctor decides a patient should be admitted. This is from almost a year ago, I can't find anything more up to date:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35503631

In England, the 4 our target starts the second you register on arrival in ED & then we have 4 hours to treat and discharge or admit a patient before they breach the (4 hour) target.

The 12 hour target clock starts when a doctor decides to admit (DTA). A patient can be in the department an hour and the decision to admit is made and the 12 hour clock starts and they could have well breached the 4 hour target by many hours when the decision to admit is made and then the 12 hour clock starts.

Hospital I work in is crippled by it's PFI. The ED department was built to see 200 patients per day but it averages 500 per day. When I started my career in A&E in 1991, we had 5 nurses on duty per shift. Today, they have 23 nurses on per shift and it is still not enough.

The day after boxing day is historically the busiest day of the year for A&E's in the south of England. Our A&E had just over 700 people attend on Tuesday 27th December. Unfortunately, the NHS is in crisis and this government has no inclination to attempt to heal it.

43 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

The biggest problems with the NHS are constant restructuring and being used as a political football.

Amen! The main problem is that every administration wants to remodel the NHS to deal with the immediate problems. People forget that the NHS was set up mainly to deal with acute problems and at a time when peiople died at a much earlier age than they generally do nowadays. Today, as the result of advances in the medical world people are surviving illnesses which would have killed them 70 years ago. This, allied to a much lower birth rate, has led to an ageing population many of whom have mutiple pathology and require increasing levels of care. Alcohol, overeating and lack of exercise are piling up huge problems for the future but no political party seems to be able to take a long term view since they are all obsessed with the result of the next election.

It would be ideal to divorce the NHS from politics but I can't see how this could ever happen.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

The biggest problems with the NHS are constant restructuring and being used as a political football.

Exactly what's been happening in education in Scotland for the past 1o years or so.

Edited by FTOF

Guest TPAFKATS
You are guessing correctly! Just look at the mess in NHS England.:rolleyes:

Is that not the plan for England - underfund, underperform, get a complaint press to demonise then privatise.

I believe it's only a matter of time before Scotland gets independence.  It's a ticking clock and our Stuart is probably aware of this and fuming.  Difficulties the SNP have had pale in comparison to the red and blue Tory and the constant scandals/ handling of home and international affairs.  'Vote No to protect Scotlands place in the EU,' cough...   

I'd say blaming the SNP for things that aren't perfect in this country is ludicrous.  SNP 'Give Scotland the full power to run itself and control it's own finance and destiny. Then the people of Scotland can vote for what political party they want and hod them accountable'  Scottish public 'No we still want Westminster to control your budgets (and cut most of them) and power levels... But we're still going to hold you accountable when things go wrong.' 

Nae bother. 

52 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I believe it's only a matter of time before Scotland gets independence.  It's a ticking clock and our Stuart is probably aware of this and fuming.  Difficulties the SNP have had pale in comparison to the red and blue Tory and the constant scandals/ handling of home and international affairs.  'Vote No to protect Scotlands place in the EU,' cough...   

I'd say blaming the SNP for things that aren't perfect in this country is ludicrous.  SNP 'Give Scotland the full power to run itself and control it's own finance and destiny. Then the people of Scotland can vote for what political party they want and hod them accountable'  Scottish public 'No we still want Westminster to control your budgets (and cut most of them) and power levels... But we're still going to hold you accountable when things go wrong.' 

Nae bother. 

That is the problem. Its one thing to say Scotland controls Health up here but much of our income is still controlled by London. Whether you support independence or not I am struggling to see why any reasonable person cant accept that this conflict causes a problem.