Where is our season heading now?

We’ve got a decent run of games coming up from December to the end of February that when you look at them all individually are definitely winnable (apart from maybe Dundee U away) if we play like we did this week.

Ayr (H)

Dundee U (A)

Morton (H)

QoS (H)

Dunfermline (A)

Falkirk (H)

Dumbarton (A)

Ayr (A)

It’s not out of the question to take 18+ points from that run,  at the moment we’re 13 points behind the playoff spots so we could get ourselves back in the hunt.

It’s a massive ask though ask considering we haven’t won 3 league games on the bounce in years, I’d be happy just to get to 8th by then.

I'd be hoping for maximum points off Ayr, QoS, Dunfermline, Dumbarton and Ayr again. 3 off of Morton would be ideal clearly.

I don't think 18 is out of the question, I know we have only won 2 and I may be getting carried away.

Where is our season heading now? 

Last Monday, we were:

9 points from the relegation play off place

10 points from safety, and

19 points from the promotion play off place.

One week on, we are:

4 points from the relegation play off place

6 points from safety, and

13 points drom the promotion play off place.

So our season is heading in an upward trajectory. If we can win against Ayr on Saturday, things could look more promising again. Win that, and confidence will be soaring, with Utd away to come, then a match I think we are all beginning to look forward to very keenly - Morton on Hogmanay...

Things are looking up. Need to keep working hard to maintain that, and I have no doubt Jack Ross will have the players working hard. 

32 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

We’ve got a decent run of games coming up from December to the end of February that when you look at them all individually are definitely winnable (apart from maybe Dundee U away) if we play like we did this week.

Ayr (H)

Dundee U (A)

Morton (H)

QoS (H)

Dunfermline (A)

Falkirk (H)

Dumbarton (A)

Ayr (A)

It’s not out of the question to take 18+ points from that run,  at the moment we’re 13 points behind the playoff spots so we could get ourselves back in the hunt.

It’s a massive ask though ask considering we haven’t won 3 league games on the bounce in years, I’d be happy just to get to 8th by then.

Regarding United, it was only a few short weeks ago we played them at St Mirren Park in Jack Ross' first game in charge. I remember the game, as it was a very even affair, with Saints having the better of the possession and chances, but Utd scoring one well worked goal, and one gift from a McKenzie mistake.

I think we can go up there and compete, despite their lofty standing in the league. I think we all expected that we would be much closer to them than we are, so with us just getting going, who knows what we can do? Expectation all on Utd.

29 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Regarding United, it was only a few short weeks ago we played them at St Mirren Park in Jack Ross' first game in charge. I remember the game, as it was a very even affair, with Saints having the better of the possession and chances, but Utd scoring one well worked goal, and one gift from a McKenzie mistake.

I think we can go up there and compete, despite their lofty standing in the league. I think we all expected that we would be much closer to them than we are, so with us just getting going, who knows what we can do? Expectation all on Utd.

I agree but didn't want to say we can win all 8 incase I got sectioned :P

Ok, I am sure like JR, I am not getting carried away. Last 2 results have been fantastic but one poor result could again dent confidence  . 8th now would be great, most importantly JR gets to work with team LONG TERM..... we have a blip, we stay with him...... He is clearly work in progress, but last week was huge progress.

Staying up this year is all that matters, Well that an the FA Cup :D

2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Ayr (H)

Dundee U (A)

Morton (H)

QoS (H)

Dunfermline (A)

Falkirk (H)

Dumbarton (A)

Ayr (A)

United away is the only game I have any fear over. The next three home games I reckon Saints will manage to get at least seven points of the nine. Like I said, off the bottom by the end of the year, out the bottom two by the end of January at the latest and a mid-table finish.

2 minutes ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

United away is the only game I have any fear over. The next three home games I reckon Saints will manage to get at least seven points of the nine. Like I said, off the bottom by the end of the year, out the bottom two by the end of January at the latest and a mid-table finish.

Couple of weeks a few on here were saying Spartans would beat us lol

What a fickle bunch we are !!!!!

Hope ur right

Oh , 7, 24, 41, 47, 51, 54 Winning Lotto numbers 

Just now, DougJamie said:

Couple of weeks a few on here were saying Spartans would beat us lol

What a fickle bunch we are !!!!!

Hope ur right

Oh , 7, 24, 41, 47, 51, 54 Winning Lotto numbers 

Well, that would not be me; I have the confidence in my team that things will improve on account of Saints being better than Ayr United & Dumbarton, and probably at least Queen of the South and perhaps Dungfermline. I did, of course, get slagged off for saying this by punters who cannot see perspective and were adamant Saints were "doomed" and would end up a part-time club in the third tier of Scottish football. Naturally, I pulled them up as being the fuds they are... :wink:

I'm not quite ready to break out the bunting yet, but two wins are a start that we desperately need, but need more to have any hope of salvaging anything from the nightmare season we have had so far. I hope, and will even resort to praying for more from all of the squad and more wins... COYS

Season 15/16
Played 16
Points 12

Season 15/16
Played 26
Points 28

Season 16/17
Played 16
Points 10

Season 16/17
Played 26
Points 30???

Next 10 games:

Home games
Ayr (h) 3 points
Morton (h) 3 points
QoTS (h) 3 points
Falkirk (h) 1 point
Dundee Utd (h) 1 point
Hibs (h) 0 points

Away games
Dundee Utd (a) 0 points
Dunfermline (a) 3 points
Dumbarton (a) 3 points
Ayr (a) 3 points

Total 20 points taking us to 30.

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh dear. Anyone reading this thread will reckon they have conclusive proof that substance abuse is rife amongst the St Mirren support.

I took St Mirren to win the last two matches. Won't be going anywhere near the next one.

Indeed.

Some of these "predictions" are beyond belief and the expectation surpasses even that of Hibs and Dundee United. :lol:

To even suggest this is quite amusing, to say the least.

Nothing is impossible, but some of these predictions are. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh dear. Anyone reading this thread will reckon they have conclusive proof that substance abuse is rife amongst the St Mirren support.

I took St Mirren to win the last two matches. Won't be going anywhere near the next one.

That's good enough for me . Time to increase my bet on Saturday on a Saints win . 

8th will do for me.

Once we accept that we are not going  up - which we aren't - then it doesn't really matter where we finish above 9th. With United and Hibs in the league it was always going to be tough ask to go up - with 3rd and defeat in the final championship play-off game against the runners up the most likely best case scenario. I know there are prize money differentials to take into account for league place finishes but securing Championship status is the real financial bread and butter - everything else is just details.

Off the bottom for the new year is doable but no longer crucial as I believe that we will catch at least two the teams above us.

All the above said; with QoS and Ayr getting dragged back in to the battle at the bottom - we could quite conceivably match last season's finish of 6th - which would feel almost like a Champions League win.

Not to be greedy though - 8th will suffice...

...Oh - but chuck in a diddy cup win for celebratory night out purposes and a Scottish Cup Semi Final so we get a day out at Hampden. That'll do.

Edited by southsidebud

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed.

Some of these "predictions" are beyond belief and the expectation surpasses even that of Hibs and Dundee United. :lol:

To even suggest this is quite amusing, to say the least.

Nothing is impossible, but some of these predictions are. :rolleyes:

So you don't think Saints are capable of winning in Paisley this Saturday against a team that have already been beaten twice this season in Paisley....?

9 hours ago, alansaint said:

Season 15/16
Played 16
Points 12

Season 15/16
Played 26
Points 28

Season 16/17
Played 16
Points 10

Season 16/17
Played 26
Points 30???

Next 10 games:

Home games
Ayr (h) 3 points
Morton (h) 3 points
QoTS (h) 3 points
Falkirk (h) 1 point
Dundee Utd (h) 1 point
Hibs (h) 0 points

I'm not sure about this one and the two after that I'm not looking that far ahead. The other three, however, I'd go along with.

Time, of course, shall tell.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

We don't need to catch any of the Top 3.

4th will do then we'll take it from there.

Hibs and Dundee United are not certain to go up.

Only who finishes first.

Also a Cup Semi Final wont be a great day out if we lose.

18 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Ayr (H)

Dundee U (A)

Morton (H)

QoS (H)

Dunfermline (A)

Falkirk (H)

Dumbarton (A)

Ayr (A)

53 minutes ago, Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes said:

So you don't think Saints are capable of winning in Paisley this Saturday against a team that have already been beaten twice this season in Paisley....?

See the post above.

The phrase "get real" springs to mind.

If this comes true, and someone sticks a fiver on it they will be flippin rich.

As I said, nothing's impossibly, but getting 18 points, or more, from the 8 games is. 

I'm only being realistic.

We have won 2 games all season, yes the last 2, but to expect to..................ach, ok, we'll win them all. :lol:

28 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

See the post above.

As I said, nothing's impossibly, but getting 18 points, or more, from the 8 games is. 

We have won 2 games all season, yes the last 2, but to expect to..................ach, ok, we'll win them all. :lol:

Cheer up pal the glass doesn't always have to be half empty ^_^

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

See the post above.

50 points from the next 8 games or JR should go! <_<