St Mirren v Ayr United 17 Dec 2016

St.Ricky

Overall we were unlucky today. Good attacking performance though we could speed up set pieces and throw ins as we seldom make good use of these opportunities and allow opposition to reorganise. However while this is a huge improvement on the rest of the season so far we are still making poor final decisions up front, still look weak at back. We did not test their keeper in first half for all our dominance. The penalty issue is interesting. Mallon missed one last season l think and was dropped as the taker. We have not had many since but would have still been far happier seeing him attempt this one.
We can survive but the next six weeks are crucial. This result coupled with Dumbarton result was a major setback despite last few games

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Hard to be positive when we are cut adrift at the bottom of the second tier bud. This is the worst position we've been in in my 25 years following the club.

Really admire anyone who can take positives from that shite storm today.

Good to hear that you admire me. Some great football on display from the youngsters and 21 shots on target. Keep up this level of performances and we will win most games.

The manager sees what's going on in the training ground. Personally i dont think Ross got it too wrong today. Had lady luck been on our side we would have won. 

You think Lady Luck was against us when Shankland decided to bump our usual penalty taker for his own selfish reasons?

Or when Ayr got a dubious straight red?

Was Quinn injured, if not, it was a poor decision taking  him off.he does all the dirty work in midfield. Webster I'm afraid doesn't do it for me,his distribution is awful

strange feeling at the end,7 points from 9. Anything gained next week is a bonus.but we are still heading in the right direction.

Edited by Eaglesham saint

Good to hear that you admire me. Some great football on display from the youngsters and 21 shots on target. Keep up this level of performances and we will win most games.

Bud, 10 man Ayr at home is about as easy as it's going to get. And we still can't win.

Jack Ross has had a very fortunate run of fixtures. In his first 9 games he's had Ayr, Dunfermline and Dumbarton at home. He hasn't had to go to Easter road or tannadice.

Despite this easy run, from his first 9 games he's only returned 7 points. Frankly, thats nothing short of a disgrace. To compound this, he's only got 1 point from 3 home games against the teams immediately above us. That's the kind of results that will relegate us.

Just now, Eaglesham saint said:

Was Quinn injured, if not, it was a poor decision taking  him off.he does all the dirty work in midfield. Webster I'm afraid doesn't do it for me,his distribution is awful

strange feeling at the end,7 points from 9. Anything gained next week is a bonus.but we are still heading in the right

direction.

Quinn took a knock inside our 18 yard box about five minutes before getting hooked & seemed to be struggling

59 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

Not as shit as I feel watching him play for us.

Mind boggling decision to play him ahead of Sutton today.

He was as poor today as he was good last week. Sutton was off the pace last week. I think it was an entirely reasonable decision not to start with Sutton.

Frustrating game. We had plenty of chances, but lack an incisive, instinctive finisher. Also, too many poor final balls. That needs work.

Bloody Dumbarton with their coupon busting results....

think ayr were more up for it today than we were. we played some good stuff but final pass was poor. but we need to up our work rate as Ayr did today. Thought ref had not to bad a game. definitely red card. last 2 pens Mallan missed and shanks missed who's next. poor pen. well done John Sutton 100th game for Saints and gets a goal.

21 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You think Lady Luck was against us when Shankland decided to bump our usual penalty taker for his own selfish reasons?

Or when Ayr got a dubious straight red?

Yes. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Trying times for us but wish the 'fans' up the back of the main stand would either shut up or maybe take a wee break from it all- constant abuse towards whatever player they decide- today, of course, it was Shankland, but they didn't miss the young players either when they were shooting- we're all hurting and to cheer loudly at a substitution after bullying and abusing a player shows no class. Seriously, what are any of these people getting from coming on a Saturday? We're in a mess but with fans backing the team or maybe just stopping abusing individuals like Mallan, Shankland, Webster hopefully we can march on together- COYS!!!

3 minutes ago, R1877 said:

Trying times for us but wish the 'fans' up the back of the main stand would either shut up or maybe take a wee break from it all- constant abuse towards whatever player they decide- today, of course, it was Shankland, but they didn't miss the young players either when they were shooting- we're all hurting and to cheer loudly at a substitution after bullying and abusing a player shows no class. Seriously, what are any of these people getting from coming on a Saturday? We're in a mess but with fans backing the team or maybe just stopping abusing individuals like Mallan, Shankland, Webster hopefully we can march on together- COYS!!!

Well said. 

Not popular perhaps but still well said.

Disappointed. We created so many possibilities in the first half especially.... SOMEONE TAKE THE FCUKING SHOT ON!.... ah, feels better getting that off my chest. Either no-one took the obvious shooting opportunity on, or the final pass was poor, or the cross from the wide area after another good lead-up move was poor. Wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity.

Then we miss a penalty, cannae' beat ten men, McCall winds us up and Dumbarton win. FFS.

Shankland was as bad today as he was good last week.

Even though Mallan had a penalty saved by Fleming I'd have been tempted to let him take the penalty as Shankland was having a 'mare.

Quinn going off injured (?) left a big hole in the midfield which Ayr exploited for their goal.

However, prior to Ross getting our team deserved victories, we'd have lost that game a few weeks ago.

Compared to the insipid pish we suffered under Rae, it's a breath of fresh air to see our youngsters playing with an energy that we've not witnessed for a long time.

Thought McKenzie was very good, as were Magennis and Naismith. However, McAlister was everywhere and his ability to surge forward and leave opposition players in his wake is a pleasure to watch. Thankfully the woeful performances of Hutton are gradually fading from my memory.

Oh and Drew is right, Gus' chief boaby sooker does really need to get his hole.:lol:

Edited by FTOF

Disappointing today but plenty of positives. Thought we dominated the 90 mins. The young guys play with more confidence every week that passes and played some excellent touches today. They need to shoot a bit more when in the box and forget about the Arsenal play of walking a ball into the net. We were unlucky with McKenzie's goal bound header being cleared off the line in the first half.

It was a certain red for me as the Ayr player was nowhere near the ball but just hauled down McAllister who was in full flow with a two footed tacked from the side.  Pretty poor not being able to hit the target from 12 yards and Shankland looked pretty wrecked after his miss. But if we continue to improve the way we have been doing so we can still get out of this.

13 minutes ago, R1877 said:

I agree. I sit up there and some of the negativity towards our players is astounding.

13 minutes ago, R1877 said:

Exact reason I stopped going to home games.

Fat arse clowns up at the back of the main stand abusing anything that took their tiny minds fancy.

Don't need that sort of shite on a weekly basis.

Definitely three points dropped. Shanks was poor today. I think too many Saints players thought this was going to be easy and we never matched Ayr's work rate after the first twenty minutes. In saying that could have been a real humping for Ayr.  We need to be more clinical and it was no surprise we were more clinical after Sutton came on. 

A little bit desperate at times in the final minutes. Too many balls just launched forward. Morgan MacAllister, McGenis and Mallan all good. 

If we can add a touch of ruthless to our game we start to climb.  

Disappoint, but a wee reminder we're in a relegation battle not . . Aye that's us come good watch motor away. 

24 minutes ago, FTOF said:

However, McAlister was everywhere and his ability to surge forward and leave opposition players in his wake is a pleasure to watch.

There's a touch of Messi the way he shuffles about off the ball, almost dragging his heels then suddenly bursts forward when he gets the ball at his feet Genuinely exciting to watch, and can only improve as the season goes on. Unfortunately, he'll meet many more opposition players like Jamie Adams though. Hope he stays fit.

I heard Stoke had scouts at the game today watching two St Mirren players. He'll have been one of them I'm sure.