St Mirren v Ayr United 17 Dec 2016

St.Ricky

10 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

There's a touch of Messi the way he shuffles about off the ball, almost dragging his heels then suddenly bursts forward when he gets the ball at his feet Genuinely exciting to watch, and can only improve as the season goes on. Unfortunately, he'll meet many more opposition players like Jamie Adams though. Hope he stays fit.

I heard Stoke had scouts at the game today watching two St Mirren players. He'll have been one of them I'm sure.

Messi, didn't he miss a penalty? 

Genuinely surprised Shankland was started up front instead of Sutton, nothing to do with the penalty, plenty of better players have missed the target from 12 yards. I just don't think Shankland contributes enough.

Lewis Morgan had an inspired first half, brilliant player, but he was a bit quieter in the second. 

Good to see the players looking angry and reacting to the Ayr goal. We need more of this.

The red was fully justified. Reminded me of Willie Young in the 1980(??) English Cup Final. 

Yes. 

Pesky Lady Luck forcing Shankland to grab the ball, forcing Mallan not to get him to telt, and forcing our captain not to step in!

The reality is we weren't unlucky. We didn't win today because of Lawrence Shankland's decision to force Mallan off penalty duty.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

The reality is we weren't unlucky. We didn't win today because of Lawrence Shankland's decision to force Mallan off penalty duty.

As has been said before Mallan had his last one saved by the Ayr goalie.  Perhaps he goes to the bottom of the list.  Personally, I'd have brought Sutton on to take it.

1 hour ago, doonhamer said:

Genuinely surprised Shankland was started up front instead of Sutton, nothing to do with the penalty, plenty of better players have missed the target from 12 yards. I just don't think Shankland contributes enough.

Lewis Morgan had an inspired first half, brilliant player, but he was a bit quieter in the second. 

Good to see the players looking angry and reacting to the Ayr goal. We need more of this.

The red was fully justified. Reminded me of Willie Young in the 1980(??) English Cup Final. 

Notice that Morgan was playing more centrally second half. That could have been why he was quieter. 

8 out of 10

Thoroughly enjoyed the Match

The second half was a belter.

We are improving and the future looks great.

Delighted to see the attendance over 3000.

An excellent 2700 Home support and a more than decent number from Ayr.

A great afternoon at the Football

Bud, 10 man Ayr at home is about as easy as it's going to get. And we still can't win.
Jack Ross has had a very fortunate run of fixtures. In his first 9 games he's had Ayr, Dunfermline and Dumbarton at home. He hasn't had to go to Easter road or tannadice.
Despite this easy run, from his first 9 games he's only returned 7 points. Frankly, thats nothing short of a disgrace. To compound this, he's only got 1 point from 3 home games against the teams immediately above us. That's the kind of results that will relegate us.

Mate, if you can't see the positives from the last few games then you're either being a stubborn fanny or football maybe isn't your game.

What a difference from earlier this season. We played with energy and tempo and, even at 1-0 down, I always thought we'd get something from that game today.

I'm sure you'll bookmark all your references to Ross not being good enough so if the worst happens you can come on and gloat but, to be honest, we need fans of your type like a hole in the head right now. 7 points from 9 is a turning point for us and with the same grit and endeavour we'll be off the bottom before long.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

He was as poor today as he was good last week. Sutton was off the pace last week. I think it was an entirely reasonable decision not to start with Sutton.

Frustrating game. We had plenty of chances, but lack an incisive, instinctive finisher. Also, too many poor final balls. That needs work.

Bloody Dumbarton with their coupon busting results....

I had no problem with Shankland starting this week either. I thought he did pretty well last week while Sutton has been anonymous for a few games and while he has managed to score in the league this season, he hadn't done so since September. However, Shankland was poor today and I wouldn't have let him take the penalty, even if he was meant to. Not hitting the target is criminal - fair enough if Fleming had tipped it round but that was poor, as was the abuse he got from the usual f**kwits in the main stand afterwards.

Would probably have taken a draw after that I was fairly certain we'd concede soon after. I suppose the good thing today is we did manage to get something out of it after the shoot ourself in the foot moment, unlike previous games (Dumbarton at home springs to mind). Shit set of results all round.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I thought it was very harsh.

So did I. Was very surprised to see a red, booking would have been fair enough. Wonder if the ref took into consideration the cynical nature of the challenge? Could argue they should have had Cairney sent off for the penalty for preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity.

McCall claimed afterwards it was fair enough and he'd walked over to their fans to ask if it should have been a corner or a goal kick. I'm assuming that's the one that was the most blatant goal kick you'll ever see yet the ref gave a corner, but he's hardly asking the most impartial set of people.

Would have been superb if we'd continued our trolling of him with another late goal. 

Edited by Stu

If you had said three weeks ago we would have picked up 7 out of 9 points then I would have bitten your hand off.

As expected Ayr sat back trying to hit us on the break with us having most of the ball. I felt we needed either Sutton to give us someone to aim for, or Hardie to get the ball in behind. I thought Shanklands done ok (apart from the penalty) but he's not someone you can play up front himself.

Had we scored the penalty we would have went on to win. Sadly we lost our concentration after that until Ayr stuck one in. To be fair our heads didn't drop, we got stuck in and managed to get a point.

Sadly the results around us didn't go our way, but we can only focus on our own results and hope things go in our favour elsewhere.

But it's nice to look forward to the next game again.

I actually thought to myself as Shankland trotted off as he was hooked after his latest disgrace in the stripes...

Jeez. It must be a while since we had a striker who went 18 league appearances without a goal. I wonder who the last Saints striker to reach that shocking record was.

Then I realised.... by f**k the answer is right there. The last Saints striker to go 18 league appearances without a goal is replacing the latest one to. David Clarkson for Lawrence Shankland.

It's little wonder we are cut off at the bottom of the second tier with those two charlatans getting so many minutes up top. Let's hope they're both punted far away, where they belong, come the first of January.

Shocking.