St Mirren v Ayr United 17 Dec 2016

St.Ricky

Why would Clarkson, a journeyman pro with bills to pay, accept less than he's contracted to receive?

For financial reasons. Say we give him two months wages to get out.

He should be able to pick up 4 months part time wages in league 1 and he could work outside football too. He would be better off and so would we.

You're assuming he could walk into a part time job. He's been a pro footballer all his life as far as I know so it's likely a non starter.

All the loanees should be returned to parent clubs, however, as none of them have managed to have any sustained impact.

10 hours ago, R1877 said:

Trying times for us but wish the 'fans' up the back of the main stand would either shut up or maybe take a wee break from it all- constant abuse towards whatever player they decide- today, of course, it was Shankland, but they didn't miss the young players either when they were shooting- we're all hurting and to cheer loudly at a substitution after bullying and abusing a player shows no class. Seriously, what are any of these people getting from coming on a Saturday? We're in a mess but with fans backing the team or maybe just stopping abusing individuals like Mallan, Shankland, Webster hopefully we can march on together- COYS!!!

No doubt fueled up with alchol from hospitality. Its cringing listening to your own fans abusing our own players. Obviously these morons dont understand what a positive response in their support would mean. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

On the red card. The tackle from behind was outlawed in football just prior to the 1998 World Cup. It's not a new one. See Craig Burley's red card in that tournament, for example.

You're right, but they actually changed the wording in the official rules a couple of years back, and the tackle being from behind is no longer explicitly mentioned. I can't remember the exact wording now without looking it up, but it is to do with being intentional, reckless or out of control. I weirdly heard quite a few people debating it yesterday on the basis of if it was or wasn't a goal scoring opportunity, even though it doesn't have to be for a referee to decide it's a sending off.

I have to admit, I thought it was a red initially due to the clear intention, but replaying it in my mind I thought maybe it was a bit harsh. Undecided.

2 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

The RR player?

Everything else emoji106.png

Oops. :)

ta.  

I was thinking (as I typed) that, "this post's wording is similar to the one I made about the RR penalty claim last week"....

The salient point being that the ball was far from the infringement, if any...

We were by far the better team yesterday in all bar the first 10-15mins of the second half.

We looked in control, played better football, had some lovely interchanges of play, typified by the move that led to the penalty, and really should have taken 3 points.

It is easy to see how Ayr have the points on the board already with their compact style and ability to soak up pressure and then make the most of a few chances.

Sadly we still seem unable to avoid basic mistakes at the back and therefore we have to be far more clinical up front (harking back to Tom Hendrie's 'we'll just score one more than them' promotion season).

That said whilst I accept it was 2 points dropped, that's three league games without a defeat, 7 points from 9, sustained progress in terms of performance (from middle to front) and all together there is much more positivity around the place than there was 2-3weeks ago.

If JR can sort out the frailties at the back, we are onto something. If we perform like that every week from here on in we should be fine. Sadly the fact Ayr, Dumbarton and Dunfermline all have the points on the board makes things a lot more challenging but if the same effort and application can be maintained, we'll get there...

Another downside of yesterday was the aggro in the car park after game. Appeared to be an Ayr supporter bus parked near exit. Disappointing to see a number of our supporters, some carrying small children getting involved in heated abuse. Police took an age to intervene. Brings into question the quality of security when allowing opposing fans to sit and exit from west stand.

17 minutes ago, Bart Simpson said:

We were by far the better team yesterday in all bar the first 10-15mins of the second half.

We looked in control, played better football, had some lovely interchanges of play, typified by the move that led to the penalty, and really should have taken 3 points.

It is easy to see how Ayr have the points on the board already with their compact style and ability to soak up pressure and then make the most of a few chances.

Sadly we still seem unable to avoid basic mistakes at the back and therefore we have to be far more clinical up front (harking back to Tom Hendrie's 'we'll just score one more than them' promotion season).

That said whilst I accept it was 2 points dropped, that's three league games without a defeat, 7 points from 9, sustained progress in terms of performance (from middle to front) and all together there is much more positivity around the place than there was 2-3weeks ago.

If JR can sort out the frailties at the back, we are onto something. If we perform like that every week from here on in we should be fine. Sadly the fact Ayr, Dumbarton and Dunfermline all have the points on the board makes things a lot more challenging but if the same effort and application can be maintained, we'll get there...

SPOT ON

Without a doubt, definitely the correct decision for the red card. 

Ayr fans should actually be fuming at their player's stupidity   as we were with Baird for his sending off at Falkirk.

Professional Foul all day long.  

15 hours ago, R1877 said:

Trying times for us but wish the 'fans' up the back of the main stand would either shut up or maybe take a wee break from it all- constant abuse towards whatever player they decide- today, of course, it was Shankland, but they didn't miss the young players either when they were shooting- we're all hurting and to cheer loudly at a substitution after bullying and abusing a player shows no class. Seriously, what are any of these people getting from coming on a Saturday? We're in a mess but with fans backing the team or maybe just stopping abusing individuals like Mallan, Shankland, Webster hopefully we can march on together- COYS!!!

Yep agree - my son and I sit in the main stand and there do seem to be a lot of folk who are constantly negative; good play is met with silence, mistakes are met with crashing abuse. As you say - what is abusing these young players (or any players for that matter) going to achieve?! Everyone has an exasperated response to a mistake form time to time but constantly haranguing players will grind their confidence down and/or impact their attitude in a negative manner so that we play worse. It's so self defeating.

I mentioned a few weeks ago the abuse that Langfield got at full time after the Dumbarton game as disgraceful - irrespective of the mistake he made.

These people need to get a life, calm down and support the team, because, like it or lump it, we are all in this together.

1 hour ago, Bart Simpson said:

Totally agree with this. The whole vibe around the first team is much more positive (apart from some of the fans as mentioned in other posts).

7 out of 9 is a good return in any season and while it meant we didn't make up any ground yesterday - we now have three teams within 6 points and we only have to catch two.

Was yesterday a setback?  Yes.

Was it fatal? Absolutely not. I think we can claw this back in January (perhaps after a couple of inspired signings :))

Watched the highlights.  Great header from Sutton , McKenzie very unlucky with his. The work rate & invention from the young guns was incredible.

Still not sure about the sending off though, defo yellow but id have been screaming if it had been one of ours who got the red.

Overall , massive improvement from the AR time but lets not kid ourselves , we still have a massive job on our hands.

COYS

Watched the highlights.  Great header from Sutton , McKenzie very unlucky with his. The work rate & invention from the young guns was incredible.
Still not sure about the sending off though, defo yellow but id have been screaming if it had been one of ours who got the red.
Overall , massive improvement from the AR time but lets not kid ourselves , we still have a massive job on our hands.
COYS

Agree with there. Still an awful lot to do. It is a bit of a downer the draw, but JR has put the right spin on it with post match comments (wanting to repeat 7pts out of 9 each 3 game cycle).

The last three games are a massive step in the right direction. Still problems to solve but looks like we have a fighting chance now...

Dissapointing to only draw but the main thing for me was that we created alot of chances, something we weren't doing at the start of the season. On another day we could have had 4 or 5.. missed pen, header off the line, several mallan shots just wide or saved, hardie hit the bar and plenty more half chances.

Some of the abuse Shankland was getting was a joke, he played ok first half linking up with the midfielders  and yes there's no excuse for missing the target with a penalty but it happens to much better players than him. After the penalty he was obviously low on confidence and could clearly hear the abuse he was getting from the some of his own fans.. what good is that doing? If he'd stayed on and scored the winner the same fickle fans would have been singing his praises.

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

Dissapointing to only draw but the main thing for me was that we created alot of chances, something we weren't doing at the start of the season. On another day we could have had 4 or 5.. missed pen, header off the line, several mallan shots just wide or saved, hardie hit the bar and plenty more half chances.

Some of the abuse Shankland was getting was a joke, he played ok first half linking up with the midfielders  and yes there's no excuse for missing the target with a penalty but it happens to much better players than him. After the penalty he was obviously low on confidence and could clearly hear the abuse he was getting from the some of his own fans.. what good is that doing? If he'd stayed on and scored the winner the same fickle fans would have been singing his praises.

No, some would simply shut up and jump on his back at the next opportunity. <_<

Some cretins will never accept that abusing our own players (especially the younger lads) will only be counterproductive. Frustration is fine, and no-one is going to call someone out for expressing this from time to time, but directing slabbering vitriol at our players is errant stupidity, and pretty embarrassing, too.

Shankland had an off day. He played very well last week. That inconsistent form is typical with young players in particular.

Just back in and was talking to one of my Ayr U. supporting mates - he said they were happy to sneak a draw but felt that they were due a break against us.

He agreed it was a red card for their player but mentioned that their keeper had "saved" 12 of the last 14 he'd faced (not sure if this includes Saturday's) and wondered if that was the reason Shankland missed the target, trying to hard to get it in the corner of the goals.

Anyway we were able to smile about things and I'm sure my Empire Biscuit will be delicious - as ever! :)

Edited by Bud the Baker