Black Shorts

I think the black shorts are certainly an improvement.

My only moan would be that I (like many other saints parents) have just splashed out on the all white home kit for my son - so to keep the wee one up to date we would have to shell out for the black shorts as well.

A little bit naughty by the club if the black shorts now become defacto home kit.

6 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I think the black shorts are certainly an improvement.

My only moan would be that I (like many other saints parents) have just splashed out on the all white home kit for my son - so to keep the wee one up to date we would have to shell out for the black shorts as well.

A little bit naughty by the club if the black shorts now become defacto home kit.

I think it more likely it's the players who would have asked to keep them as, by and large, they're a superstitious lot.

ETA. Keep them. They seem to be working.

Edited by stlucifer

Does anyone know why on Saturday were Raith allowed to wear very very very very dark blue shorts whilst we were wearing our black shorts. Not to mention the refs black shorts and Raiths top which was primarily white fronted iirc. It seems that sometimes "kit clash law" is rigorously enforced, whereas other times it doesn't matter...

On 12/11/2016 at 5:03 PM, Slash said:

IMG_0242.JPG

Look at the guys in black shorts..Lex Richardson, John Young, Dougie Somner, Tony Fitzpatrick, Alan Logan, Ian Scanlon, Billy Stark, Billy Thomson, Campbell Money, Mark Fulton, Billy Abercromby, Frank MacDougall, Alex Beckett, Jack Copland, Jimmy Bone and John McCormack. Add in red shirts such as Gardner Spiers, Stuart Munro, Frank MacAvennie, Bobby Reid and Andy Dunlop...that squad would win the current Premiership with ease.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Look at the guys in black shorts..Lex Richardson, John Young, Dougie Somner, Tony Fitzpatrick, Alan Logan, Ian Scanlon, Billy Stark, Billy Thomson, Campbell Money, Mark Fulton, Billy Abercromby, Frank MacDougall, Alex Beckett, Jack Copland, Jimmy Bone and John McCormack. Add in red shirts such as Gardner Spiers, Stuart Munro, Frank MacAvennie, Bobby Reid and Andy Dunlop...that squad would win the current Premiership with ease.

They wouldn't get the chance. Can you imagine how long we would be able to hold onto those names in this modern era? Just look at Dundee United over the last few seasons. Mackay-Steven, Cifci, Armstrong all snapped up by Celtic. Robertson and Gauld gone.... United relegated.

The chances of us, or anyone bar two certain clubs, being able to assemble (and keep), a team capable of winning our top flight are precisely zero. Zilch. Normal service has already been resumed. Celtic are in a league of their own and look who is in second spot. Aberdeen and Hearts know their place, and that place is at best third spot.

Scottish football is finished for me. I used to take an interest in happenings outwith our midden. Frankly, I no longer give a flying fcuk. Sportscene has been erased from my Sky planner, I never watch any live Scottish games, I don't even check the scores - unless like Saturday I was sitting in the car after our game and turn the radio on to let the car park clear a bit.

Edited by pozbaird

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

They wouldn't get the chance. Can you imagine how long we would be able to hold onto those names in this modern era? Just look at Dundee United over the last few seasons. Mackay-Steven, Cifci, Armstrong all snapped up by Celtic. Robertson and Gauld gone.... United relegated.

The chances of us, or anyone bar two certain clubs, being able to assemble (and keep), a team capable of winning our top flight are precisely zero. Zilch. Normal service has already been resumed. Celtic are in a league of their own and look who is in second spot. Aberdeen and Hearts know their place, and that place is at best third spot.

Scottish football is finished for me. I used to take an interest in happenings outwith our midden. Frankly, I no longer give a flying fcuk. Sportscene has been erased from my Sky planner, I never watch any live Scottish games, I don't even check the scores - unless like Saturday I was sitting in the car after our game and turn the radio on to let the car park clear a bit.

You're not wrong.  :(

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Although your not wrong , has this not always been the case in this country ? 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Although your not wrong , has this not always been the case in this country ? 

No.

It's only in recent decades, that all clubs kept their own gate money.

like in the cup, all gates were always shared.

this means that diddy teams had a bigger share of the pie.

the ugly sisters still mostly came out on top as they were involved in bigger gates more often than all others, but it was shared fairer.  Other teams could hire and keep their good players. Dundee won the league, as did Aberdeen and Hearts.  Saints were OK...

As Poz points out, this is now impossible.

many Celtic fans realise the game structured like this is slowly killing itself.  They'd like change - perhaps back to the way it was?  But there are too many dumbos who can't see the sense in a genuinely, honestly competitive sport.

the yanks, with their structure of their "football", have got it.  There is a fierce drive to ensure that big rich clubs don't get it all their own way every year.  They understand the draw of genuine sporting competition, not a winner takes all, every year, in every competition.

utter dominance is boring.

8 hours ago, antrin said:

No.

the ugly sisters still mostly came out on top as they were involved in bigger gates more often than all others, but it was shared fairer.  Other teams could hire and keep their good players. Dundee won the league, as did Aberdeen and Hearts.  Saints were OK...

many Celtic fans realise the game structured like this is slowly killing itself.  They'd like change - perhaps back to the way it was?  But there are too many dumbos who can't see the sense in a genuinely, honestly competitive sport.

the yanks, with their structure of their "football", have got it.  There is a fierce drive to ensure that big rich clubs don't get it all their own way every year.  They understand the draw of genuine sporting competition, not a winner takes all, every year, in every competition.

Since the start of the 60's there's only been 6 or 7 seasons where they haven't won the title. 

I agree , utter dominance is boring .

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Yup totally agree....................

Mind u SFA have played a massive part in this..................

Sportscene looks like an amateur You Tube Clip. Stadiums occasionally have bums on seats................

Everyone knows their place and I see Tic will have to play yet another quali because under the present SFA regime we have gone from 14th to 27th in coefficient . Hearts cant beat Malta, Tic lose to Gibraltar and Dundalk come within a few goals of final 32.......... We still don't have summer football...........

Its not all about money either, BUT, we have talent that now sits on benches, at the so called Big Clubs............

At least the above lot got good game time.....................

So yes Scottish football is total shite

14 hours ago, antrin said:

No.

Until the Old Firm gates explosion, starting with Rangers in 1986, keeping home gates actually benefitted the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Hibs (and St. Mirren), along with having a smaller top division.

The differential in gates wasn't huge in the late 70s and early 80s and so these clubs were able to compete more equally with the OF.

Of course, it also helped that freedom of contract didn't exist and clubs could build sides over a number of years and keep their best players.

Saints kept their top players for a number of years and were able to sell them for big money. Indeed, back in 1979 St. Mirren were able to outbid Celtic on both the transfer fee and the wages to sign Frank McDougall.

Impossible now of course.

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Look at the crowd there.Football was brilliant in those days.

I was at 4 games at Love St 77-78 with mad crowds

V Tic Score 3-3

V Gers Score 3-3

V Tic Score 3-1

v Liverpool lost pen

Now correct me if I am wrong but I am sure over 80000 attended those games

The product, the marketing, and the cost  has meant that for  most football is a TV sport..........

Impossible to fix its broken forever

On 13/12/2016 at 2:31 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I like this thread. And I like black shorts. I think we look stronger and play better with black shorts.

Can someone please name the red shirted players in the picture above for me? I recognise and remember a few of them mind.

V Tic Score 3-3
V Gers Score 3-3
V Tic Score 3-1
v Liverpool lost pen
The product, the marketing, and the cost  has meant that for  most football is a TV sport..........

Safe standing & pay at the gate would help.

Away from obvious things like the team playing well.

Sadly, we won't see the likes again.

6 hours ago, DougJamie said:

V Tic Score 3-3 17580

V Gers Score 3-3  24596

V Tic Score 3-1  13026

v Liverpool lost pen  18000

I thought there was more at all 4 Matches.