Forever Pure

Bud the Baker

Just finished watching a BBC4 documentary about Israeli football club Beitar Jerusalem whose fans proud boast is that of the thread title - they've never had an Arab player. About 10 years ago they were bought by a Russian billionaire who tried to use the club as an entry to Israeli politics (their fans are courted by right wing politicians) and when it failed did the unthinkable and signed two Muslims. I won't spoil it by revealing too much but it was truly shocking. I've copied a URL for the program and a magazine piece giving a little more info.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b084xppx/storyville-forever-pure-football-and-racism-in-jerusalem

7ca100ca122f83f40ff0d0d35d387036.jpg

Edited by Bud the Baker

12 hours ago, shull said:

We have a Club here  whose fans who use the Title " We Are The People "

Perfect 2 Clubs for twinning maybe.

I'll give that a watch.

Beitar Jerusalem played Rangers (original flavour) in the 1998-99 Uefa Cup, must have been a real meeting of minds for the supporters.

Guest TPAFKATS

I watched this the other day following a couple of recommendations.
For first 15 or so mins I couldn't understand what the controversy was...

From that point on, couldn't stop watching

Jeez, MoJo signing for the deid club....that takes me back.

I was at the old Anderson Bus Station the night the signing was announced. I watched a pissed eejit buy the entire bundle of early edition Sun and Record n/papers fae the boy selling them (upward of 100 papers according to the lad) then sit on a bench and proceed to rip MoJo's picture off the front page of every paper!