Jason Naismith

Stockholmbud

Looked almost back to his best last weekend. It's a critical area (they all are), but I suppose we could swap Irvine over to the right. Stewart on the left?

Would be a risk to upset the balance of a team that is finally looking like a cohesive unit, though. What would we we get in return?

Certainly hope this a no go - we need to be able to keep good players and a returning-to-form Jason Naismith is certainly one of those.

I guess the problem is that we are now a minimum of one additional season away from the top league and he may not be willing to wait.

If he goes though, we certainly can't blame him - I'd wish him all the best.

Jason is still relatively young. How long has he got left on his contract? Money talks of course, though Ross County are not exactly a step up.

I would hope sentimentally he would be willing to stay longer and move further down the line if a decent offer comes in. A move to England though is always favourable though for a change of scenery and better standard of football.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Would that prevent the current "need" for SMISA to bail out the team and let the forum return to a happy place..................................................:rolleyes:

I'd put it all into one pot . Ian Murray , Craig , Rae etc all got funds to form their own squad . So far Jack Ross hasn't . 

Happy forum ? I don't understand ? Is this possible ? 

29 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

It won't be the last. Financially we are now a "small" club. Sadly, any club with a stable major investor will be able to outbid us both with fees and wages.

Right now, Saints would be mad to sell any first team player considered vital to keeping us in this division and I don't see this happening unless Jack Ross has a replacement up his sleeve.

If we could move Jason on and bring in a left back , a holding midfielder and someone experienced in playing just behind the striker then I think it could work out as a good piece of business , Jason is coming back onto form , and whilst he is being linked with a move to Ross County just now , I think his agent may have leaked that info to see if any other clubs are interested . Keep an eye out for Mansfield town coming in with a bid , now managed by Steve Evans who showed interest in Jason when he was with Mansfield.

Aberdeen as well
Before his injury a few English teams were interested
Confidence starting to come back hence the improved form

I believe Aberdeen interest was before he got injured last year. He will certainly be playing some where else next season.

It appeared on the Record's live transfer blog the other day. No idea how that reliable is.

Naismith is out of contract in the summer I think. We might get some compensation if he leaves in the summer, although probably not much.

12 hours ago, Drew said:

Ross County....
FFS

Ross County are only one of, oh, a million clubs who, if they want any of our players, can poach them away in a heartbeat. Lower league English clubs who could double a St Mirren players wages, Ross County, Hibernian, Dundee, Aberdeen....just about anyone bigger or even marginally bigger than us.

Contracts are best written on cheap lavvy paper for all they really mean these days. McLean would have been away sooner than he was had he not picked up an injury and saw form drop. If Mallan had kicked on from that wonder goal at Dens Park and put together ten games on the spin of superb play he'd be in an Aberdeen or MK Dons shirt right now.

I said it on the thread featuring the archive pic of the 'twin stripe Adidas kit' Saints team that featured Fitzy, MacDougall, Somner...

The days of us keeping a really good team together are long gone. Not just a really good team either - any really good individuals will be offski in the blink of an eye too. 

Depressing isn't it. The reality of our place in the post-Bosman pecking order. Lube up guys, prepare for the next arse-raping and St Mirren taking one step forward and two back for... (insert choice of five years / ten years / forever)

Yo ho fcuking ho, merry Christmas.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Pozabaird.

You describe what is the reality for almost every club in Scotland and probably much more widely than that.

A reality check.  Maybe not what we want to hear but certainly what we need to know.

Indeed. Sellik were just a shop window stopping off point for Fraser Forster, Victor Wanyama, Virgil Van Dyke...

My only remaining interest in Scottish football are St Mirren though, so it is painful to witness an era where we have slipped well below the likes of Ross County, Dundee, Partick, Kilmarnock.... Losing our players to bigger clubs always happened, now there's a whole new strata of club who can look down on us. Depressing that we are so low in comparison to clubs I always regarded as being our equals - Christ, we were always 'bigger and better' than many of these chunts...