We Have Something Very Special

I'm trying to think when was the last time there was so many talented youngster's in the first team squad ? Cut me down here if I'm wrong , Fergie days ?  Fergie took a couple of years to get the gel right now I'm not saying Jack Ross is Fergie , however im very impressed Ross and his back team have a eye for talent and seem to be able to get the best out the youngest in our squad. Trust me i'm old enough to understand someone who can bring the best out in someone is not an easy find.  Was also impressed Ross had our under 20 coach  on the side lines. We will survive  this season , if the board have the foresight nest season could be very special. Hold onto the stars I beg you. 

Hi Ian , Fergie only used two youngsters on a regular basis in his first season ,Fitzpatrick and Reid , who were both already in the team before he arrived. He used/signed experienced players to steady the ship , and if we're to stay up this season , I would expect more experience to come into the squad in January ! If Ross lumps the responsibility for keeping us up on the youngsters shoulders , I would fear the worst !

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm trying to think when was the last time there was so many talented youngster's in the first team squad ? Cut me down here if I'm wrong , Fergie days ?  Fergie took a couple of years to get the gel right now I'm not saying Jack Ross is Fergie , however im very impressed Ross and his back team have a eye for talent and seem to be able to get the best out the youngest in our squad. Trust me i'm old enough to understand someone who can bring the best out in someone is not an easy find.  Was also impressed Ross had our under 20 coach  on the side lines. We will survive  this season , if the board have the foresight nest season could be very special. Hold onto the stars I beg you. 

FFS :blink:

Ian you have a very good point.I think what you mean is that Fergie succeeded with a blend of youth and experience when you think that in addition to Fitzpatrick and Reid he brought in Stark from Anniesland Waverley and the likes of McGarvey and Richardson from the junior ranks.His master stroke was signing Bone and Copland both experienced players.These were magical days.

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You dont get it Stuart no surprise there. Why should i even debate with a St Mirren nonexistent supporter? 

I don't get what? That you're a f**king mentalist either pissed or off your head on something else? 

The last time St Mirren had a squad full of youngsters was when Jimmy Bone and Tony Fitzpatrick were manager back in the 90's. St Mirren were rooted in the second tier despite much better talent than is at Jack Ross's disposal right now. And the current crop of kids you are so excited about has won two league matches out of 17 this season and are still rooted, firmly and somewhat adrift at the bottom of the second tier. 

We'll still do well to stay up, but by promoting the two Kyles JR has succeeded in doing a few things:

1. Immediately addressed the imbalance in the squad, without signing anyone (to the extent that Hutton could be sent out on loan).

2. Sewed seeds for a more successful team in the next couple of seasons.

3. Put out a side that is capable of playing good football.

Alex Rae scoffed at the standard in the 20's matches and filled the squad full of journeymen. One of the main reasons he got binned I believe.

I wonder if he'd still be in a job if he'd had the wherewithal to try the two Kyles and redirected the money spent on Hutton and Walsh.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Hi Ian , Fergie only used two youngsters on a regular basis in his first season ,Fitzpatrick and Reid , who were both already in the team before he arrived. He used/signed experienced players to steady the ship , and if we're to stay up this season , I would expect more experience to come into the squad in January ! If Ross lumps the responsibility for keeping us up on the youngsters shoulders , I would fear the worst !

I mind the day I used to disagree with all your posts. Either I'm getting old or you're getting sensible, but this is bang on for me.

The young players have been a brilliant revelation, and a welcome distraction in what has been another car crash of a season.

We shouldn't under estimate the size of the task that is in front of us to survive this season though.

We're 6 points behind, and the teams above us have all demonstrated that they are more than capable of gaining points. Next week we have Ayr & Dumbarton meeting whilst we go to Tannadice and then we've another difficult tie against an in form Morton side.

We will almost certainly go into January at least 6 points behind.

Looking at the run of games we have, particularly at the end of the season when we are away to Hibs, Falkirk and Dundee Utd sandwiched around a home tie with Raith we are going to have to really go some to finish clear of trouble. It's a hellish finish.

The kids will take us so far, but if we are really to get out of this, we need some good experienced additions to the squad.

58 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

We'll still do well to stay up, but by promoting the two Kyles JR has succeeded in doing a few things:

1. Immediately addressed the imbalance in the squad, without signing anyone (to the extent that Hutton could be sent out on loan).

2. Sewed seeds for a more successful team in the next couple of seasons.

3. Put out a side that is capable of playing good football.

Alex Rae scoffed at the standard in the 20's matches and filled the squad full of journeymen. One of the main reasons he got binned I believe.

I wonder if he'd still be in a job if he'd had the wherewithal to try the two Kyles and redirected the money spent on Hutton and Walsh.

Spot on .

48 minutes ago, div said:

I mind the day I used to disagree with all your posts. Either I'm getting old or you're getting sensible, but this is bang on for me.

The young players have been a brilliant revelation, and a welcome distraction in what has been another car crash of a season.

We shouldn't under estimate the size of the task that is in front of us to survive this season though.

We're 6 points behind, and the teams above us have all demonstrated that they are more than capable of gaining points. Next week we have Ayr & Dumbarton meeting whilst we go to Tannadice and then we've another difficult tie against an in form Morton side.

We will almost certainly go into January at least 6 points behind.

Looking at the run of games we have, particularly at the end of the season when we are away to Hibs, Falkirk and Dundee Utd sandwiched around a home tie with Raith we are going to have to really go some to finish clear of trouble. It's a hellish finish.

The kids will take us so far, but if we are really to get out of this, we need some good experienced additions to the squad.

Yesterday's display opened my eyes to how good these 4 youngsters (Mallan, Morgan, Magennis and McAllister) really are. The older, experienced guys in defence also did well IMO (which suggests to me that they have confidence in the youth that JR has promoted). Despite not winning the game I left the ground feeling genuine optimism about the way things are starting to shape up at long last ! However we have a fairly short window to turn this into genuine progress that will save us from relegation - just have a look at our final 4 or 5 fixtures this season, at least three of those are trips away to the likes of Falkirk, Hibs and Dundee Utd. We must turn this potential into points ASAP to get well clear of the danger areas before April or we will be sunk.

Just now, Brian1877 said:

jimmy bone team? Combe, baker, Fullarton, lavety, gillies

delighted he's playing the boys. Can only be good for the club

Combe - Shite Goalie

Baker - Great left back

Fullarton - Shite

Lavety - Legend

Gillies - Kenny shite, Ricky should have played in the English Premiership.

Have wrote for a couple of weeks that one spot above the play off position will be sucess the task must not be underestimated.  You also cannot expect these youngsters to play great every week. My point from the first post is we have something special with these youngsters that can be built on as long as the nuggets are not sold. Hopefully we are not relegated Ross can then build a team round these youngsters with the right blend we could have a great season next year. These young boys have got exceptional talent to have four at the one time is something you dont often see from our club. Jack Ross if backed will bring the good days back. 

15 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

1987 - Lambert, Winnie, Brian Hamilton, Cameron in the Cup Winning team plus Norrie McWhirter.

Happier days and who knows maybe this lot will help us return to the top flight - here's hoping!

Touching on the OF Colt team brouhaha (my word of the day!) hopefully this can re-establish us as a club that gives youth a chance.

As ever, onwards and roundwards! :wacko:

Have wrote for a couple of weeks that one spot above the play off position will be sucess the task must not be underestimated.  You also cannot expect these youngsters to play great every week. My point from the first post is we have something special with these youngsters that can be built on as long as the nuggets are not sold. Hopefully we are not relegated Ross can then build a team round these youngsters with the right blend we could have a great season next year. These young boys have got exceptional talent to have four at the one time is something you dont often see from our club. Jack Ross if backed will bring the good days back. 

Absolutely agree big guy, the Fab Four give us a terrific platform on which to build a great Saints side. Survival this season isn't going to be easy but if we can manage it then next season might just be one to look forward to and enjoy for the first time in what seems like forever.

5 minutes ago, Brian1877 said:

:blink: Really!! He was such a success at Aberdeen and his numerous caps for his Country??? Surprised Man u never picked him up

Take the blinkers off re Fullarton

At least you agree regarding.. 

Combe, Bakesy, Basher and Kenny.