We Have Something Very Special

11 hours ago, shull said:

Combe - Shite Goalie

Baker - Great left back

Fullarton - Shite

Lavety - Legend

Gillies - Kenny shite, Ricky should have played in the English Premiership.

Everything black or white in your eyes Shull.

Is there ever the potential for just a wee shade of grey now and again?

42 minutes ago, Brian1877 said:

:blink: Really!! He was such a success at Aberdeen and his numerous caps for his Country??? Surprised Man u never picked him up

Take the blinkers off re Fullarton

Gillies is one of those "if only" players, I feel the talent was there but not the killer instinct, I remember the 2000/01 season in the SPL and Colin Cameron of Hearts was the only Scottish player to score more than him and he played in a much stronger team. Cameron went on to play in the Premiership and purely in terms of talent I think Gillies could have too, however he decided to stay with us and his career dwindled away along with the clubs fortunes at the time. Perhaps he was too nice........................

Perhaps...my recollection of him was he was more influential when he broke into the team at 16/17(?) when he played like a 16/17 year old ie he got about the pitch as well as having good technical ability but as time passed by and especially on his return he played like billy big time and strolled about not doing that much.  That might not be that fair but its how i remember it.

KEY word here is build

Something we haven't done in years. To busy sacking to have any foundations.

I was near a boo boy Sat, told him to shut the door on his way out. No swearing as kids there

Everyone at the club is just starting to recover after our nightmare over last 4 months, JR is likeable .

Just thought I would get back on subject as you woman above are lost in the past as per  

5 hours ago, Brian1877 said:

Combe had his moments...he was a good shot stopper but i remember the trundler that crawled between his legs at Somerset

If i remember correctly, did he not try and trap the ball from a long distance Rajamaki shot at Love street and the ball rolled under his studs into the net?

Back in the day before designated goalie subs, can anyone remember any of our outfield players who were the ones who went in goal? I seem to remember Frank McAvennie being one? Might be wrong. The classic footage of course is Fergie going in goals for the dead club after the Mad Monk dislocated Chris Woods' shoulder at Ibrox. Daftie Fergie wants Woods to take off his goalie jersey for him to wear - as Woods stands in agony with a dislocated shoulder. Makes me smile every time I see it. Just like the ballboy getting wiped out at Cappielow after giving Fergie the vicky, or Santaponsasaint hurtling down the Tannadice terraces in celebration in the 'ooh that's a honey of a goal!' game.

Ah, the days when Scottish football wasn't completely shite and ruled exclusively by the uglies.

Who was the keeper who after losing a goal,against Stirling Albion I think,blamed it on a toilet roll thrown from the crowd? :lol:

That was Comb. It wasn't even an away fan who threw it. It was my pal who must have been about 7 at the time. He threw it from the old terracing at Love St where the PDX would go.

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

That was Comb. It wasn't even an away fan who threw it. It was my pal who must have been about 7 at the time. He threw it from the old terracing at Love St where the PDX would go.

Wrong end.

It came from the new Cally stand but it was Saints Fans who were in there that day.

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Back in the day before designated goalie subs, can anyone remember any of our outfield players who were the ones who went in goal? I seem to remember Frank McAvennie being one? Might be wrong. The classic footage of course is Fergie going in goals for the dead club after the Mad Monk dislocated Chris Woods' shoulder at Ibrox. Daftie Fergie wants Woods to take off his goalie jersey for him to wear - as Woods stands in agony with a dislocated shoulder. Makes me smile every time I see it. Just like the ballboy getting wiped out at Cappielow after giving Fergie the vicky, or Santaponsasaint hurtling down the Tannadice terraces in celebration in the 'ooh that's a honey of a goal!' game.

Ah, the days when Scottish football wasn't completely shite and ruled exclusively by the uglies.

The torn faced ball boy at Hampden 87 after Fergie scored the winner as bedlam ensued all around him. 

He was maybe a Queens Park ballboy and was remaining professional and neutral. 

32 minutes ago, HSS said:

Who was the keeper who after losing a goal,against Stirling Albion I think,blamed it on a toilet roll thrown from the crowd? :lol:

That was at the Caley end and pretty sure it was Combe. There were hundreds of schoolkids in there in on freebies. He hurled it back into the stand I seem to remember!

56 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Did Walter Borthwick not play in goals for us once after an injury to a keeper? Seem to remember he did very well but perhaps I am making this up.

Edited by Sonny

31 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Did Walter Borthwick not play in goals for us once after an injury to a keeper? Seem to remember he did very well but perhaps I am making this up.

Walter Borthwick. What a great name from the past. Can't beat a bit of nostalgia as we head into the Christmas festivities.

2 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

That was at the Caley end and pretty sure it was Combe. There were hundreds of schoolkids in there in on freebies. He hurled it back into the stand I seem to remember!

It was Combe the roll fecked him on back of his heid

Aye plenty of freebies the biggest cheer was Oldco half time scoreline as they were thrashing someone

The mad monk went in goals twice up at tannidice

Neil Cooper in a 1/4 final at tynecastle where we ended up pumped 4-1