St Mirren v Queen of the South Championship 7/1/17

shull

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but opinions, and how they are expressed, can be damaging and corrosive (and also f**king tedious, to be blunt).  What irks is that fact that a small minority seem to be basking in our decline.  I'll call that out because I think it deserves to be.

Aye, ok, as I like to point and laugh at the futile and delusional.

Whatever floats your boat. :byebye

PS You really think stupid posts on a forum are "damaging and corrosive"? :lol:

Away and have a wine.

Edited by faraway saint

My uncle stopped Jack Ross from going right into the crowd.He said Ross raging at the abuse he took.
On a completely different topic..........I hope Gilmour and Co can sleep at night.This situation is entirerly down to them.

Oh yes. Talk about taking your foot off the pedal completely. They are certainly culpable for where we are now. SG cried at the cup final. I wonder if he feels our seethe now

My uncle stopped Jack Ross from going right into the crowd.He said Ross raging at the abuse he took.
On a completely different topic..........I hope Gilmour and Co can sleep at night.This situation is entirerly down to them.

Listening to Ross talk and he does speak well. He is articulate and passionate. Hope he finds a blend very soon. This club is teetering on the brink and I just hope he does this for the club. We can only hope.

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

Indeed.

Ross wasn't my pick for new manager (I wanted Hughes in but he knocked it back). That said, like most, I have backed JR in what has been an invidious mission to turn a wretched season round with what has amounted to a largely hopeless squad of players - albeit, he has clearly made plenty of mistakes.

Others, it seems, are relishing the fact that it hasn't worked out as we'd hoped.  A smug satisfaction is apparent that suggests that their own conceit rates higher than their concern for the club. That says a lot more about them than it does about Jack Ross, JJ, or anyone else, I'm afraid. Its pathetic, really.

As far as the squad of players goes, it is largely the same squad of players that finished 6th in the same league last season.

Langfield, Naismith, Webster, Baird, Irvine, Quinn, Mallan, Morgan, Clarkson, Gallagher, Shankland were all regulars when fit last season and McAllister was given his debut aged 16 by Rae.

We are missing Keith Watson and Jim Goodwin from last season's squad but no one else unless you make a case for Sean Kelly also being a miss.

Last year's squad finished 21 points clear of Alloa largely by grinding out results against the teams we had to beat (Rae won most of his games against Alloa and Livi), this season we just look like we are going to finish with around the same points total as Alloa (21) with the same guy in charge. Whatever their limitations as players, and however despised he was by St Mirren fans like the Lawthers on facebook, Alex Rae seemed to get more out of Langfield, Webster, Baird, Irvine, Quinn, Mallan, Clarkson, Gallagher and Shankland than Jack Ross has. Which just leaves Naismith who didn't play under Rae last season due to his injury and Morgan who you could say have fared better under Jack Ross.

While I hear we are playing better under Ross, the bench today looked poor, and so far out of the view names linked with us for January moves they seem largely to be U20 players on loan or part time guys, not a hint of a senior pro with any track record of being a leader. Last week we were 1-0 up at Morton at home, and 1 man up, 30 minutes to play and with the option of up to 3 substitutions to make. Ross has to take some responsibility for the poor substitutions and for deciding for reasons known only to him why Tom Walsh was ejected totally for the first team picture when he had until that point been one of our more effective options from the bench. Today I have the same issue with Ross's substitution decisions... first guy brought on, Clarkson again. It hasn't worked all season but let's give it a go again today. 

While I am always open to going 3 at the back when chasing a result I found it odd it was a centre half who was removed. I'd also say the fact that he only made 2 subs doesn't show too much faith in the rest of the bench (as does always selecting Clarkson every week). People pointed out Sutton on his own wasn't working and besides Clarkson until Ross sent Hardie and Walsh he had two guys with a bit of speed and an eye for goal who he could have brought on, and even today could have thrown McLear or Gallagher on to partner with him or play just behind him.

No fight, no desire, no pace in our play, no chance of avoiding the drop.... no f**king good enough!

You only need to look at our captain, negative in every piece of play he's involved in, he's Kyle Huttonesque, every pass is either sideways or backwards - shite!

We don't have a good team barring the 3 young players, the rest aren't good enough. Bringing on Clarkston when chasing the game, Christ we've got no chance.

Would need more than a miracle to not end up bottom come the end of the season.

Very worrying times ahead.

We must have the worst 'experienced pros' of any team ever assembled, and some actually have he a decent career up to this point.

Quinn is an absolute pretender

I've never seen 2 centre halfs misplace as many passes as Webster and MacKenzie did today

Irvine just doesn't close down or tackle his man

Clarkson is finished

Both keepers are dreadful

We have no players in their peak at all.

Alex Rae should never be allowed to manage another football club for signing up these diddies.

Onto today... hard to see anyway out of this mess now. I actually have no idea what we were attempting to do, there was absolutely no shape or fight about us at all. Stephen Mallan is in desperate need of a rest and we are far too reliant on a 17 year old boy to spark us into life.

We are a shambles, it's been a consistent decline over past 4 years. For that reason, and I appreciate I'll be in the minority, I wouldn't get rid of Jack Ross even on relegation. Which would be absolute failure on his part, I just think the sacking culture needs to stop.

Fans have been pretty good the past few years, STs have stayed the same despite relegation from the premier and a dismal 2 years in the first, think season tickets will plummet next year sadly

31 minutes ago, Svard svard said:

Mclean came from the old blue team.

He signed for us at 14 though did he not. He was in our youth set up for a few seasons before breaking into the first team would be my point, and however disappointing the fee was, considering it was in his final 6 months of his contract and to another non-OF club in Scotland probably as much as could be expected.

Thought we were doing alright in the first half, then we lose a stupid goal right on the whistle. Sutton and Quinn ballsed it up.  Second half dreadful. We huffed and puffed and looked like we didn't have a clue.  Mostly aimless punts other than a few decent crosses by Naismith that no one could latch on to, and a decent shot by one of the youngsters.  Mallan was utter sh*te - he needs to learn that there's more to being a player than wee tricks and flicks. Where has the good player in him gone?  Webster is past it, Irvine is never a full back, Quinn disappeared after his normal 60 minutes, Clarkson is an imposter and Shankland's arse is so big he could declare it as a sovereign state. The young boys are good but need experienced cool heads to guide them through the game.  Heading down, I'm afraid, as I can't see anything positive at the moment.

20 minutes ago, HSS said:

Last season Gilmour and co chose a manager who came in a steadied the ship and got us safe, who was then told he had no future by GLS and got rid of so we could appoint someone to get us playing attractive football and get the crowds back. Billy Davies, John Hughes etc all said no thanks (if they were ever asked in any seriousness) and we appointed someone with 7 or 8 months experience (including 1 relegation) who had gone 8 matches unbeaten in the league below us.

Jack Ross may come good for us in the long term if he is given time but I don't think he has got enough out of an OK squad. The only young player he has brought in who was out the picture under Rae is Magennis. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ross climbed into the main stand to have an argument with a fan after the game. Lasted a good two minutes. Perhaps if his team showed half that sort of passion we'd have done something.

Today was the worst display I've seen since he came in and the tactics and substitutions were baffling. Been willing to back him and give him the benefit of the doubt before today but even at 1-0 we looked clueless.

Still, we have the transfer window to come and we've been very active so far, especially compared to our rivals, so I'm sure we'll be fine if we give him time.

The fan in particular was an older guy who was giving Ross and the team pelters all game and he wouldn't give it a rest, no need for that abuse, some of it well over the top and I would of done the exact same as Ross had it been me.

The fan in particular was an older guy who was giving Ross and the team pelters all game and he wouldn't give it a rest, no need for that abuse, some of it well over the top and I would of done the exact same as Ross had it been me.

Jack spoke to him very calmly and the other fans rounded on the mouthy old guy who, I'm told, spouts this kind of pish week-in, week-out, win, lose or draw.

Just now, dwriley65 said:

Jack spoke to him very calmly and the other fans rounded on the mouthy old guy who, I'm told, spouts this kind of push week-in, week-out, win, lose or draw.

Ross done absolutely nothing wrong and all fans round about sided with Ross as this tosser of a guy wouldn't shut up, gave the teams dogs abuse from start to finish.

Ross done absolutely nothing wrong and all fans round about sided with Ross as this tosser of a guy wouldn't shut up, gave the teams dogs abuse from start to finish.

Wasn't saying e did anything wrong, it was probably the highlight of my afternoon. Just a shame his side didn't show that sort of commitment.

Really disappointed today and I thought some of  the senior players really let us down. Thought Webster and McKenzie's distribution from the back was woeful and I also thought John Sutton was pretty non-existent. It is expected that young players will be hot and cold but the older guys should be showing more focus and commitment.

6 minutes ago, Frank McGarvey' wonky legs said:

Total tactical clusterf**k today, We moved Magennis wide left and Morgan somewhere else (what he did or contributed god knows) it went from bad to worse when the first went in.

I couldn't understand a lot of the "tactics" but that one really was strange. Big target man who can score from crosses. Two young, fast wingers who can whip in a cross. Aye. Let's switch them so they cut inside. That's what any good manager will do...... NOT!

12 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Apparently we were in for him as well but QotS offered a better deal.

How they are able to offer better deals than us is beyond me.

This transfer window should of been an indicator to show just how much Gordon Scott wanted to remain in this league, it doesn't look good. 

Relegation is going to set this club back years and there is a chance we may not recover from it, who knows.

The lack of intensity in our play is woeful for a team in our position.

The atmosphere in the first half was almost relaxing, and that was being driven the slow motion play on the park.

The points gap and number of remaining fixtures aren't the problem. It's continually finding ways to ship points, when three are there for taking, that will be our undoing. The variety of ways with which we have managed to shoot ourselves in the foot is unreal.

Unless we have a startlingly good remaining transfer window, it's hard to see where the answers are coming from.

Jack spoke to him very calmly and the other fans rounded on the mouthy old guy who, I'm told, spouts this kind of pish week-in, week-out, win, lose or draw.

Yup another Main stand blow hard. We seem to have a disproportionately high number. My son usually asks if we can move when these arses start their weekly bile tossing.

Really disappointed today and I thought some of  the senior players really let us down. Thought Webster and McKenzie's distribution from the back was woeful and I also thought John Sutton was pretty non-existent. It is expected that young players will be hot and cold but the older guys should be showing more focus and commitment.

Why are we asking central defenders to distribute the ball? They won every header that came their way, which is what I want from a central defender.

Where were Mallan and Quinn? Gutless performances from our midfielders today.

Apparently we were in for him as well but QotS offered a better deal.

He took a pay cut to go to Queens, or so they claim anyway. We should have used the extra SMiSA money to get him, would have been good PR to say the extra cash was used to bring in a guy like that. Could be he chose them over us due to footballing reasons. Wouldn't surprise me.

I can see this being a transfer window similar to two years ago with a load of kids, cast offs and the odd half decent loan. If that is what happens it'll create quite the seethe fest, especially from SMiSA members.