St Mirren v Queen of the South Championship 7/1/17

shull

7 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Here's a sign of how bad we are. After 5 games Hibs had 15 points and Queen of the South had 13 points. After 20 games we still haven't matched those totals 15 games later.

stop it,stop it,,,9th spot best we can get,and even that abysmal,after pars pump us,they b out o sight so down to catching Dumbarton n Ayr,which is a no giving right,this is much more scary than forthbank,we had sir Hugh Murray that day

hopefully his resignation,and for guys bombarding a old guy for speaking the truth,what's wrong Wi that,wish we could let 11 fans into dressing room and tell them what it means to b playing for jersey,and a can tell u another think if that was my dad who longer here getting picked up there would b a few split lips,this old man probably been following us for over 50 years and now watches this pathetic dross,give him a break

You know what he said? He wasn't 'speaking the truth' or complaining about the performance, he was verbally abusing players & manager. I don't care how old he is or how long he's been following the team, that doesn't give him or anyone else a free pass to hurl personal abuse. Ross was very respectful when he spoke to him, the other supporters only said that he comes out with the same pish week after week and THEY are sick listening to it.

Some fair points.

Whilst I didn't mean the old board are mainly to blame I do feel some lies with them.

The uncomfortable truth is that Tony Fitz should not be Chief Exec (not sure what his exact job title is...), it wouldn't happen in any other industry bar football where the old pals act counts for more than experience and knowledge. I feel harsh saying this as they guy is a legend as a player and has helped us out in more than one occasion but if Gordon is as ruthless as he has been painted then this needs to be reviewed, as the old board made this appointment as an attempt to appease fans

The appointment of TF was bizarre, they can have some blame for that. Tony had been on record saying something like he would never be back as long as SGG was there. Can't help but feeling he knew that the ownership would be changing when he took the role, and perhaps that's why he did.

As you said, Tony's a great guy and a club legend and should be retained in some kind of ambassadorial role.

Sadly, he is never in a million years a chief executive.

This is a wind up, right?

They took over the club when they were midtable in the second tier and that's where they left us.

In the mean time we got a new stadium, a new training ground, cleared the debt, won two second tier titles and won a national trophy.

Of course they made mistakes along the journey, but none of them are affecting the club now. Apart from the appointments of Rae and Fitzpatrick.

How we have adjusted our aspirations as this season has progressed (regressed?).

No-one realistically believed we would win the Championship outright but most of us thought a play-off spot was not out of the question.

We then talked of mid-table safety and then after that it was steering clear of the bottom.

Now most of us are resigned to relegation to the third tier of second-rate Scottish football.

We have seen very little this season to make us believe we are not where we deserve to be and are seriously asking when will the rot stop?

What is perhaps more pertinent is to ask when did the rot start and who saw it coming?

The answer to that is April 2013 and many of us were baffled by the sweeping clear out of the cup winning team over the following season or so and were concerned at that time by their replacement by second/third division players rather than using the nucleus of the 2013 team and building on that. Instead the BoD pursued a policy of harikari in the interests of protecting their investments. Who can blame them?

56 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

The old board are 100% to blame for this current mess, I agree it was time for a change when they replaced Lennon but replacing him with Tommy Craig was the start of this train crash and then things just went from bad to worse.

Having Fitzpatrick as the CEO is an absolute shambles as well, he's a nice guy and all the rest of it but he's absolutely clueless, If I was Gordon Scott I would be on the fone begging Caldwell to come back, we miss him massively and he was responsible for a lot of players picking us over other clubs.

Not quite 100% to blame. The old board didn't appoint Jack Ross as manager when it was blindingly obvious that the last thing we needed was an unproven rookie in post. 

3 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Not quite 100% to blame. The old board didn't appoint Jack Ross as manager when it was blindingly obvious that the last thing we needed was an unproven rookie in post. 

and you could also argue that Alex Rae and Davie Farrell got on fine with the old board but seemed to think the game was up for them when GLS took over.

13 minutes ago, TopCat said:

They took over the club when they were midtable in the second tier and that's where they left us.

In the mean time we got a new stadium, a new training ground, cleared the debt, won two second tier titles and won a national trophy.

Of course they made mistakes along the journey, but none of them are affecting the club now. Apart from the appointments of Rae and Fitzpatrick.

:lol:

How they are able to offer better deals than us is beyond me.
This transfer window should of been an indicator to show just how much Gordon Scott wanted to remain in this league, it doesn't look good. 

Relegation is going to set this club back years and there is a chance we may not recover from it, who knows.

We will do very well if we can attract any player to our club under our current situation unless its a young player coming in on loan on the fringes at their parent club.

2 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

I must admit I'd never in my wildest have considered CEO and Fitzpatrick in the same sentence. A truly baffling decision especially if CEO is assumed to be an abbreviation of Chief Executive Officer.

He should never have been CEO. What probably appealed to the board that as Tony loves the club, he would work on the cheap and be prepared to work long hours (effectively unpaid overtime). Great ambassador for the club but shouldn't have been in a role like that.

Something I'd blame the old board for which has hurt us this season is this absolute insistence on not setting budgets and the like until we're officially safe from relegation. Fair enough in the SPL, when we were usually still in a fight in the final couple of games, however last season we were as good as safe with about six games to go. Instead, the board waits - hardly a ringing endorsement of the management team - until we're officially safe, which was with three games left. Even then they only had a meeting to decide the budget, rather than saying to Rae straight away what he had to work with.

Rae later said this delay stopped him signing players as they'd already been tied down by their clubs. Now, the delay might have stopped him signing more dross but it may also have let him build a better squad - or at the very least do some damage to other Championship clubs by pinching/unsettling their better players.

Mallan has been absolutely dreadful this season. He's been living off a few spectacular goals last season and if we had more midfield options he would have been dropped. Plenty of ability for this level but he doesn't seem to have the desire quite honestly.

He'd probably be better in a team that was technically better than we are so he might well make it at a higher level. Not someone to stand shoulder to shoulder with you in the trenches though which is what we need at this moment in time.

2 minutes ago, juan sanshoe said:

Games like today when we need the three points we have to go 2 up front, Sutton looked too exposed at times as the midfield were too far back, in truth we never really looked like scoring as their keeper never had a save to make.

I said that earlier today in the match day thread before a ball was even kicked, Sutton up top on his own is hopeless, too isolated and the midfield don't push up forward enough to support him.

Ross done absolutely nothing wrong and all fans round about sided with Ross as this tosser of a guy wouldn't shut up, gave the teams dogs abuse from start to finish.

I've seen a headline and a short video clip. The headline makes it sound horrendous, the clip shows JR speaking fairly, calmly and firmly talking to someone. Nothing to see.

But we were shite today.

last two results have been absolute sickeners, for first time this season i now accept relegation is more than a possibility. what i dont understand is why a lot of us are blaming gs or smisa and to a certain degree jack ross for this predicament i think off the park things have been improved greatly its just been our shocking on field performances that have brought the place down if we were in the top few in the league we would be hailing them. If we are honest barring miracle january signings we are probably going to 3rd tier but we will come back stronger that i am sure of!

3 hours ago, bender rodriguez said:

last two results have been absolute sickeners, for first time this season i now accept relegation is more than a possibility. what i dont understand is why a lot of us are blaming gs or smisa and to a certain degree jack ross for this predicament i think off the park things have been improved greatly its just been our shocking on field performances that have brought the place down if we were in the top few in the league we would be hailing them. If we are honest barring miracle january signings we are probably going to 3rd tier but we will come back stronger that i am sure of!

Let's look at some of the off the field decisions since GLS took over:

Manager and assistant sacked after 6 league games. We take 3 weeks to appoint Ross and he tells us he'll come after managing Alloa for 1 more game.

GLS announces in October the new manager inherits a shambles of a squad.

JD Sports have ended their kit and sponsorship deal with the club with it being their choice rather than the club's.

USH not working and not repaired until recently.

Despite our league position it is clear Ross has been told there is no money being made available by the new board to sign players (excepts SMISA members' cash!) and as usual new January signings will be funded by returning loanees (to be replaced by other loanees and players without clubs) or terminating contracts and releasing players to free up money for wages for new players coming in.

As usual we are going to spend January haggling over wages and missing out on most of targets. 

For me GLS's biggest gamble was sacking Rae who had 3 or 4 season's experience of being fine at Championship level and taking a punt on Jack Ross coming good and it looks like the gamble has backfired and he won't even back his man in the transfer window.

The game?

Yesterday we had the best of the first half and lost a goal right on 45mins against the run of play. Second half we just capitulated. Dreadful, gutless, heartless, relegation type performance.

The rest?

Make no mistake. This game puts the final nail in our coffin. And for those who believe we will fair better in the next league down,. Remember some people were almost looking forward to the drop to the championship as they were fed up getting "pumped" in the premiership. (Oh for those heady days).We will cut our cloth to suit and I doubt there will be a quick return under this fans buy out system. Unless one fan comes in with a hefty wad to give for nowt. In fact, I am not sure there will be a Saint Mirren if we go down. This is as serious as it could get and if GS is serious about protecting our club he needs to find more than 8 grand from somewhere.

It's not looking good - but to be honest I would rather go with young guys like Magenniss, Morgan and McAllister rather than watch our senior pros go through the motions as they are dragging our club down. No urgency at all and it is gut wrenching to watch.

Think we have no option but to go with youth and if (or maybe that should be when) we go down then we keep building and come back stronger. Final word for the Saints fans - the last couple of seasons have been horrific but we have stuck by the team and the hard core will continue to do so. KTF guys we are hopefully at the bottom of our decline ...... the only way is up ...... hopefully !

The game?

Yesterday we had the best of the first half and lost a goal right on 45mins against the run of play. Second half we just capitulated. Dreadful, gutless, heartless, relegation type performance.

The rest?

Make no mistake. This game puts the final nail in our coffin. And for those who believe we will fair better in the next league down,. Remember some people were almost looking forward to the drop to the championship as they were fed up getting "pumped" in the premiership. (Oh for those heady days).We will cut our cloth to suit and I doubt there will be a quick return under this fans buy out system. Unless one fan comes in with a hefty wad to give for nowt. In fact, I am not sure there will be a Saint Mirren if we go down. This is as serious as it could get and if GS is serious about protecting our club he needs to find more than 8 grand from somewhere.

I only ever want to see St Mirren spend what they bring in. We have to live within our means, whatever league we are in. Sadly sponsorship will all but disappear in league One.

Unfortunately as a club we have made one bad appointment after another from managers to players and hard to say but CEO.

This is probably the most testing period the club has ever been in on and off the field. We have next to no players in the squad who are showing they are leaders. Webster has been one of the poorest signings I can ever remember. Millen, McGowne and Turner were all ageing defenders when they arrived and played for lesser clubs than Webster but boy did they lead and organise when at our club.

I think league One beckons unless something dramatic happens at the club but the players appear to have chucked it based on our 2nd half performance yesterday and the 2nd half performance against Morton. They were all over the place.