The St Mirren Club Shop

shull

18 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I think Ayrshire Saint might be struggling with the idea of having a full time commercial operation working to raise capital within the business to pay for a part time playing squad Shull. I don't think he's quite grasped the most important of business equations - that MONEY IN > MONEY OUT. Sadly he's showing the kind of logic that has led to the demise of several football clubs. 

The only concept I was struggling to grasp was the creation of Shull's facility in one of the corner voids. The club couldn't afford the supporters bar never mind a museum /shopping /cafe complex ! Do any if the part time clubs in Scotland run full time commercial operations ?

47 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

If you were you would have seen their e-mail asking for any questions relating to the clubs annual accounts. I responded with my question several days before resigning my membership. 

And of course you answer a different question to the one I asked. <_<

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

The only concept I was struggling to grasp was the creation of Shull's facility in one of the corner voids. The club couldn't afford the supporters bar never mind a museum /shopping /cafe complex ! Do any if the part time clubs in Scotland run full time commercial operations ?

The club barely sells 400 tickets on a matchday! - What chance of profiteering on a 50 hour (min) retail outlet?

21 minutes ago, dastardly77 said:

the club shop earns the club nothing, at least with Carrs the club get a payment, the arrangement with the shop would put mike ashley to shame.

Hmmm, thats the second time I've heard this since I posed the question to Div. No rent, no licensing fee, nothing. I'm sure, if this is true, supporters who have been buying up official merchandise thinking that at least a portion of their money was going to the club will be mightily disappointed I reckon. Imagine a football club having signed away all income from official merchandising sales, then approaching the supporters association looking for a hand out to help pay wages. You'd think someone running the club would ensure all the clubs internal business was operating efficiently before going to the fans with a begging bowl - wouldn't you? 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

6 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

You'd think someone running the club would ensure all the clubs internal business was operating efficiently before going to the fans with a begging bowl - wouldn't you? 

you would think so, instead of the shop seen as an asset with revenue raising potential it is seen as a burden.  The shop in its present format earns the club nothing, i wouldnt be surprised if it actually costs the club money in heating/electricity etc.  

I always found the merchandising arrangement when Alan Provan was doing it to be confusing. I never knew the detail, but it appeared to be a deal worked out between AWP and the club similar to that of a golf professional running a shop attached to a particular golf club. It was really the professional's shop, it just happened to be attached to a club, and some sort of retainer was paid, some sort of deal was in place. Something along those lines anyway.

All I know for sure is that the Final Chapter book was nothing to do with the club. AWP took all the risk and reward, as he should for really coming through for us by completely under-writing the whole affair. If it flopped and boxes of unsold books remained, he stood to lose a fair whack of cash. We only stood to be a bit embarrassed by being involved in a flop. The club stood to lose nothing whatsoever, nor make any profit from what we were convinced would be a profitable and worthwhile venture. Credit to Campbell Kennedy for allowing us to simply crack on and for giving us access to take the necessary photos, but at boardroom level, only Gordon Scott wanted to proof-read his page in the book, as did Chick Young with his.

The current shop at the stadium is a well-stocked shop that looks full of stock and is a good place to buy St Mirren merchandise. If it transpires that the folk who took it on are running it as their own business with all the risk and reward going to them - with nothing for the club - then good on them. Well done for being the ones to step up and turn around what was an utter shambles from the day AWP left. If the old BoD displayed the same 'fcuk it can we wash our hands of this and let someone else do it' attitude as they appeared to display in many other spheres, then that's no fault of those who are running the shop and providing St Mirren fans with a good service.

My only 'issue' with the folk running it is that unlike AWP, they are extremely low-key, to the point that I don't even know who they really are. Aside from an initial bit when they took over saying they were working towards improving the stock incrementally, they never seem to have a presence in the St Mirren supporting community. AWP was on the forum with news of deals he may be running, and he was well-known amongst the support. Not a criticism really, more an observation. Bottom line though - well done to them for doing what they do. The club very clearly couldn't / wouldn't / didn't.

Edited by pozbaird

I think it would be a fair shout from all Saints fans to expect that spending money in the club shop would help the club rather than a private individual. Perhaps now that there is a new board then all commercial arrangements would be up for review ( as is healthy and normal business practice) 

ln the meantime for those who want to buy someone a Saints gift where ALL profit goes to the St.Mirren F.C., then - my shout would be to buy a brick on the stadium wall - a gift for life :) 

Edited by 1877SMFC
Spelling

4 hours ago, dastardly77 said:

you would think so, instead of the shop seen as an asset with revenue raising potential it is seen as a burden.  The shop in its present format earns the club nothing, i wouldnt be surprised if it actually costs the club money in heating/electricity etc.  

You seem to be in the know... please share what you know and sources please...

You seem to be in the know... please share what you know and sources please...

I've heard it from a couple of people from within the club now Vambo. I don't know names, just web aliases and I'm not going to disclose what ones they were either. The thing is though the accounts Im hearing are so similar they are either 100% true or the same person with multiple aliases is contacting me.

6 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I've heard it from a couple of people from within the club now Vambo. I don't know names, just web aliases and I'm not going to disclose what ones they were either. The thing is though the accounts Im hearing are so similar they are either 100% true or the same person with multiple aliases is contacting me.

Not heard but told profit on each item is 500% profit that the club pay the owners  £1.000 a week to keep the shop open. The owners only have to pay the full electricity biil for the club each quarter along with soft toilet roll for all stadium toilets. Hope this helps you making up pish. 

• 3 weeks later...