Bottom at Christmas

Just now, pozbaird said:

Clearly, the odds on a club being bottom at Christmas and avoiding relegation are slim - as the past 20 years show. Also clearly, none of those sides were the current St Mirren side, facing the sides currently in our division, so the 20 year statistics don't matter a fcuk. Also, according to some, the games we have already played do not matter a fcuk. 

Wow. I'm sold. A brand new season starts against Morton. Then another brand new one starts against Queens.

This is brilliant. Come on ye' Saints.

That's the spirit. :clapping

On Saturday at half time we will know the results from 2 of the bottom clubs games which have early kick offs.This hopefully will be defeat for both and will us on  to win against the ton.The following week our lovely neighbours will win and we defeat QOS.Thats how the dream goes in my house and the table looks a lot different.Believe peeps and give the team 100% vocal backing in every game.We MUST survive in this league.No ifs no buts and we can play our part.Come on you Saints.

10 minutes ago, northendsaint said:

On Saturday at half time we will know the results from 2 of the bottom clubs games which have early kick offs.This hopefully will be defeat for both and will us on  to win against the ton.The following week our lovely neighbours will win and we defeat QOS.Thats how the dream goes in my house and the table looks a lot different.Believe peeps and give the team 100% vocal backing in every game.We MUST survive in this league.No ifs no buts and we can play our part.Come on you Saints.

Thats basically it, club close the gap on Hogmanay and take it to the next game.

39 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Anyhow weren't Ross County in a much worse position than us when we got relegated and it was later on in the season with fewer games to go? I'm referring to when we beat them up in Dingwall with Arquinn being sent off and Mallan scoring our winner? Ross County escaped the play offs.

Aye, but see major reason below. 

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

They also had a billionaire chairman who invested a six figure sum of his own money in the playing squad in January. Unsurprisingly they improved from that point onwards.

We didn't and don't have that luxury.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Clearly, the odds on a club being bottom at Christmas and avoiding relegation are slim - as the past 20 years show. Also clearly, none of those sides were the current St Mirren side, facing the sides currently in our division, so the 20 year statistics don't matter a fcuk. Also, according to some, the games we have already played do not matter a fcuk. 

Wow. I'm sold. A brand new season starts against Morton. Then another brand new one starts against Queens.

This is brilliant. Come on ye' Saints.

Living with someone like you, LPM, Dickson and FS when things go tits up must be an absolute daily f**king drudge. Cheer up ya miserable old c**t. Misery martyrs are out in force tonight. :lol:

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Living with someone like you, LPM, Dickson and FS when things go tits up must be an absolute daily f**king drudge. Cheer up ya miserable old c**t. Misery martyrs are out in force tonight:lol:

Tonight? 

In the real world its morning. You still partying. :lol:

2 hours ago, Kendo said:

Anyhow weren't Ross County in a much worse position than us when we got relegated and it was later on in the season with fewer games to go? I'm referring to when we beat them up in Dingwall with Arquinn being sent off and Mallan scoring our winner? Ross County escaped the play offs.

No, they weren't. Seems to have become a myth this.

At their lowest points, Ross County were 7 points behind us with 3 games in hand (we had 13 left to play and they had 16) and then later they were 6 points behind us with 1 game in hand (we had 13 games left and they had 14). They then turned it around picking up 25 points out of a possible 27 in the next 9 games after signing Marcus Fraser, Craig Curran and Raffaele De Vita (and getting rid of Arquin to us!!)

We are 7 points behind with 18 games left. So similar I guess, but certainly Ross County weren't in a 'much worse' position.

Let's put it this way, if we do what they did and pick up 25 out of the next 27 points, I'm pretty sure we'll be fine!

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Living with someone like you, LPM, Dickson and FS when things go tits up must be an absolute daily f**king drudge. Cheer up ya miserable old c**t. Misery martyrs are out in force tonight. :lol:

The statistics on being a miserable cnut at Christmas and cheering up by New Year over the past twenty years are....  :P

In the last 20 seasons, the team bottom of the Championship/Division 1 at Xmas has been relegated in 16 of those.

In 2 of the 4 seasons where the bottom team at Xmas survived, those teams had been deducted points and so were in a bit of a false position. In another (2008/09), Airdrie were spared relegation due to Livingston's financial irregularities. So the 1 'standard' time the team bottom at Xmas has survived was 2012/13 when Dumbarton were 7 points behind but had 2 games in hand, they ended the season in 7th.

So, in the last 20 years (and for 'normal' seasons) no one has managed to survive after being 7 or more points behind and with no games in hand at Xmas..........but none of those clubs were the mighty St Mirren [emoji4]
Capture.PNG

I agree. Good post, however we have the benefit of being able to only finish 9th and then win the playoffs.

Have the playoffs been around for the last 20 years to cover all those 9th place relegations?

A lot of work to do but I think we will if we keep up recent progress...a win against Morton would go a long way to boosting morale...both on the pitch and on here...

I agree. Good post, however we have the benefit of being able to only finish 9th and then win the playoffs.

Have the playoffs been around for the last 20 years to cover all those 9th place relegations?

A lot of work to do but I think we will if we keep up recent progress...a win against Morton would go a long way to boosting morale...both on the pitch and on here...

The play offs have been around since 2005/06 so that's 11 of the last 20 seasons.

Yeah, so there were 2 seasons when the 9th placed team were relegated whereas today they would be given a 2nd chance in the play offs. Namely Morton in 00/01 and Alloa in 02/03.

It's not helped so far So not much chance of it helping now the stats above have convinced me that there is no chance of staying up and frankly we don't deserve to we are finally going to find out true level .

If we get relegated we find our true level?

I'm not sure how that works, does that mean we have been in a false position all through our history?