Day Out At Old Trafford

Stuart Dickson

Yesterday I enjoyed a trip to Old Trafford courtesy of my step daughter who had gifted tickets me my two sons and me for the Man U v Sunderland match. It's an expensive place to watch football bit I loved every minute of it. We were in the Stretford end at the front and had a superb view of "that" goal yesterday. My son and I also encountered no issues when Borini scored his wonder goal and we rather exuberantly applauded whilst surrounded by Man U fans.

75,000 in attendance, two highly skilled football teams - Defoe's first touch is a thing of beauty I have to say - and beaming smiles on our faces despite the result. It's hard to be gutted when a your team has put on a real show and only been beaten by brilliance.

Paisley on the 31st.....wonder if the experience will compare.

15 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yesterday I enjoyed a trip to Old Trafford courtesy of my step daughter who had gifted tickets me my two sons and me for the Man U v Sunderland match. It's an expensive place to watch football bit I loved every minute of it. We were in the Stretford end at the front and had a superb view of "that" goal yesterday. My son and I also encountered no issues when Borini scored his wonder goal and we rather exuberantly applauded whilst surrounded by Man U fans.

75,000 in attendance, two highly skilled football teams - Defoe's first touch is a thing of beauty I have to say - and beaming smiles on our faces despite the result. It's hard to be gutted when a your team has put on a real show and only been beaten by brilliance.

No comparison for me - I'm a St Mirren supporter . I don't do prawn sandwich football .

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The experience will compare exactly. In both games you'll be able to watch shite away sides from shite towns have their arses handed to them on a plate by superior home outfits.

Enjoy.

Edited by pozbaird

6 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Glad you enjoyed your day but it's quite a contrast to what I experienced a few years ago in the very same stadium.

I've been in the away end when Everton visited Old Trafford. My Scouse mates described it as the most hostile atmosphere they've ever encountered. I agree.

We arrived by train from Liverpool, the train station was like a war zone with battered Man U & Everton fans all over the place.

We were sat next to the divide and it was quite unnerving have the Man U fans on the other side of it, not watch the football but abuse & threaten the Everton fans from the 1st minute to the last and that was just the women (I wish that last bit was the joke but it isn't).

Living in England, I've been to many matches, greatest atmosphere was the Everton v Liverpool cup semi final a couple of years ago and I've been to FA Cup finals too (Man U v Everton in 1995 and more recently, Chelsea v Portsmouth), been to Highbury, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, The Valley, Boleyn, London Stadium and The Emirates. None of them compare to going to watch St Mirren. The quality of football in Scotland is hugely inferior in comparison to the Premier league but watching another team that is not your own, is hugely inferior too.

Each to their own I suppose Stuart but I would give up every single other match available to go watch St Mirren (regardless of what Division they are in)

Jermain Defoe to West Ham in the transfer window looks a good bet.

5 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

Glad you enjoyed your day but it's quite a contrast to what I experienced a few years ago in the very same stadium.

I've been in the away end when Everton visited Old Trafford. My Scouse mates described it as the most hostile atmosphere they've ever encountered. I agree.

We arrived by train from Liverpool, the train station was like a war zone with battered Man U & Everton fans all over the place.

We were sat next to the divide and it was quite unnerving have the Man U fans on the other side of it, not watch the football but abuse & threaten the Everton fans from the 1st minute to the last and that was just the women (I wish that last bit was the joke but it isn't).

Living in England, I've been to many matches, greatest atmosphere was the Everton v Liverpool cup semi final a couple of years ago and I've been to FA Cup finals too (Man U v Everton in 1995 and more recently, Chelsea v Portsmouth), been to Highbury, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, The Valley, Boleyn, London Stadium and The Emirates. None of them compare to going to watch St Mirren. The quality of football in Scotland is hugely inferior in comparison to the Premier league but watching another team that is not your own, is hugely inferior too.

Each to their own I suppose Stuart but I would give up every single other match available to go watch St Mirren (regardless of what Division they are in)

Jermain Defoe to West Ham in the transfer window looks a good bet.

I can't see it but you never know. Sunderland have banked on Defoe's goals to get them out of the relegation dogfight. Survival in the Premiership would be worth way more than either West Ham or Crystal Palace could offer. Stranger things have happened I guess but I'd suspect that Sunderland will be working far harder offloading a number of players Moyes clearly doesn't fancy to free up some money for new deals. From what I've seen and heard Joel Asoro will be a ready made replacement for Defoe but at 17 it's a bit too much for him just yet. 

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

I'm guessing this is yet another look at me I think I'm great type post.

He has actually tried to compare his experience at the biggest club in the world with that offered by our own club.

He couldnt even enjoy a day out with his kids without having a dig,

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

He has actually tried to compare his experience at the biggest club in the world with that offered by our own club.

He couldnt even enjoy a day out with his kids without having a dig,

Last season I compared an afternoon out at Greenhill Road with an afternoon at Benburb. St Mirren came up short back then too. It's all relevant Oaksoft - the club isn't going to reach it's £5m per annum turnover target without improving the match day experience dramatically. What was so good about the day at the Bens? Well I was able to turn up at the ground 45 minutes early, park in their car park, go to their social club without being signed in, where I could buy a soft drink and a pie for less than £2 - and shhhh don't tell anyone else on here, but they even had the club kit on sale for those who wanted to buy one.  They were playing against Newmains - the club Kenny Morrison used to advertise to female shoppers at Asda :rolleyes: - so the opposition wasn't of a particularly good standard, but the match was enjoyable enough especially  given the admission price was around 25% of that at Greenhill Road. 

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Last season I compared an afternoon out at Greenhill Road with an afternoon at Benburb. St Mirren came up short back then too. It's all relevant Oaksoft - the club isn't going to reach it's £5m per annum turnover target without improving the match day experience dramatically. What was so good about the day at the Bens? Well I was able to turn up at the ground 45 minutes early, park in their car park, go to their social club without being signed in, where I could buy a soft drink and a pie for less than £2 - and shhhh don't tell anyone else on here, but they even had the club kit on sale for those who wanted to buy one.  They were playing against Newmains - the club Kenny Morrison used to advertise to female shoppers at Asda :rolleyes: - so the opposition wasn't of a particularly good standard, but the match was enjoyable enough especially  given the admission price was around 25% of that at Greenhill Road. 

Of course Saints came up short when compared to Benburb. You wrote the comparison and everybody knows about your pathetic 20 year grudge.

You could compare Saints with Auschwitz and still claim Saints fell short.

10 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Benburb!

those bastards!

fine if you want enjoyable enough football, but they widnae know a community effort if it smacked them in the puss.

And I've no idea if they have the right number of committee members!

Edited by antrin
Readies for Ton

7 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

So this is your big idea is it? All the months of bluster and bullshit and you finally admit that your big plan to save St Mirren from oblivion and to get turnover pushed up to £5m per year is to drop the price of a pie and juice to under £2. Why did nobody think of that before? Oh that's right. It's a stupid idea. It' the very definition of pissing about with the tinsel when the tree is on fire.

FFS behave yourself. :lol: You have a helluva cheek pulling up,others on their shortcomings.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

So this is your big idea is it? All the months of bluster and bullshit and you finally admit that your big plan to save St Mirren from oblivion and to get turnover pushed up to £5m per year is to drop the price of a pie and juice to under £2. Why did nobody think of that before? Oh that's right. It's a stupid idea. It' the very definition of pissing about with the tinsel when the tree is on fire.

FFS behave yourself. :lol: You have a helluva cheek pulling up,others on their shortcomings.

^^^^^^^^ Close to another meltdown. :lol:

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Oh dear. And here your business acumen shows itself up yet again. 

First off it's not the sole item on my list of improvements i'd make. It's not even one of them. However if we take what you have just said and look at it from the perspective of increasing turnover it's not that stupid an idea at all. See currently, if I am reading the accounts correctly, St Mirren take in a maximum annual income of £16,400 for the catering operation at the club. This assumes that the stories about the club shop are correct and that St Mirren have never made a penny in rent, commission or licensing from the club shop operators. Now to achieve a turnover that equates to this the club would have to sell just 455 pie and juice packages per home league match at £2.00 each to increase turnover. I'm certain that would be easily achievable. Of course a bigger challenge would be to make that profitable - but I don't need to worry about that here since you are trying to point score using the turnover figure as the target. :rolleyes: 

6 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is the catering not still contracted out? If it is, then they could sell 2, 200 or 2 million pies and it would make no difference to the income.

If they sold 2 million it would make a huge difference it would mean that there were millions at the game.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Is the catering not still contracted out? If it is, then they could sell 2, 200 or 2 million pies and it would make no difference to the income.

Yup and thats leaving out the bit where he confuses turnover and profit by comparing the profit we get from the catering company and the number of pies we would need to sell to match that in turnover alone. The man is a buffoon. No wonder the club dont want to talk to him.

Yup and thats leaving out the bit where he confuses turnover and profit by comparing the profit we get from the catering company and the number of pies we would need to sell to match that in turnover alone. The man is a buffoon. No wonder the club dont want to talk to him.

By f**k you are thick. If you get a single payment from the catering company that is your turnover and your profit. If you sell the pies yourself you increase turnover but not necessarily profit. There's no confusion on my part but your ear biting response shows your ineptitude. Pathetic really.

33 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

By f**k you are thick. If you get a single payment from the catering company that is your turnover and your profit. If you sell the pies yourself you increase turnover but not necessarily profit. There's no confusion on my part but your ear biting response shows your ineptitude. Pathetic really.

What bit part of "we are not interested in you or your hairbrained pish" do the club and smisa need to clarify for you?

I might be wrong.... I failed accounts... Twice!

but is a single payment in not simply classed as income?

Income and expenditure combined the turnover?

And the difference between income and expenditure the profit or loss?

As I said... Never sat it at school then failed it at day release and again at night classes, so not my strongest subject.

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

As I said... Never sat it at school then failed it at day release and again at night classes, so not my strongest subject.

But you passed "wine drinking", much more useful. :clapping

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

You will need to be patient.

He wont be able to answer you until he has worked it out using Google and Wikipedia. :lol:

I'm fully with Stu D on this one - although like others my experience of Old Trafford isn't the sanitised version he portrays.

As a stadium its match day experience is a ten times better than Greenhill Rd - but having sat with "Man Utd fans" in the upper third tier with the players only slightly visible it's not what I want from my weekly football fix

it's also the place where a section of the hard core support do their utmost to terrorise and abuse the "regular visiting away fan" again this is just my experience on the number of times I've been 

But Stu D is right and I think exposes the blinkers some of us as Saints fans have.

our Greenhill setup could be vastly improved - the match day experience is poor - the quality of football on the park is at times desperate - As customers we are short changed at almost every opportunity- I don't need to list all the faults as they have been discussed ten times or more before 

A trip to many an away ground be it in England or Scotland will have better parking / warm and inviting social clubs for all fans - well stocked club shops - higher standard catering. And you don't need to be a Champions leagues outfit - come and visit me in Warrington and you can watch Warrington town who are currently in the 7th tier of the football pyramid and only 13 miles along the Ship canal from Old Trafford- where your  match day experience will allow you to watch similar quality of football to St Mirren - whilst enjoying tasty food from the snack bar - visiting the fan zone shed stocked with club apparel- whilst mixing freely with the visiting fans with a pint in your hand.

i agree with Stu - St Mirren could get it so much better!

Edited by Liverpool Bud