The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

On 9/1/2020 at 10:02 PM, oaksoft said:

I can't believe he got through that.

Given the metal hip, that has to be the best comeback in the history of the sports

I don't understand why you think be a his perfectly formed metal hip joint should be a limitation. It will, in the short term, be an absolute plus for him. The science is well advanced.

29 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

Murray DOESN'T have the same mobility he had, he's lost a yard in both his thinking and physical ability.

The injury affect is mental as well as physical.

He will never be close to the standard he was, unfortunately,

He got pumped by Raonic the other week a player he used to eat for breakfast.

He'll, despite as many ice baths as physically possible, still be feeling the affects of his marathon match on Tuesday. 

I've watched his next opponent about a dozen times, I expect him to beat Murray and that should be the end of him trying to compete in the US open. 

Thanks for the memories, his victory over Djojkovoc was one of the sporting highlights of my life, even although I had to get up for work the next morning. 

Time will tell if he has lost it for good. His new hip shouldn't affect his ability and agility around the court. I believed he was finished before his surgery and didn't think he'd make it back onto the circuit. His determination to succeed may just turn things around and make me eat my words. My heart hopes for a Scot's double with Murray winning Wimbledon and the returning Hendry winning the Snooker world championship. I can but dream.

Djokovic disqualified for hitting a line judge with the ball.
Totally accidental and a complete over reaction from the officials.
With the other big players not attending the US Open it's anybody's tournament now. 
I don't think anyone contested it not being accidental.

All he needed to do is not lose his temper and lash out. If you are not able to do that then you know the consequences if it results in someone getting hit.

Seen it a number of times and the one thing I've noticed is that there is consistency in the decision regardless who the offender is. [emoji106]

Djokovic disqualified for hitting a line judge with the ball.
Totally accidental and a complete over reaction from the officials.
With the other big players not attending the US Open it's anybody's tournament now. 
Seems harsh but them's the rules.

There doesn't have to be intent.

The act itself is now deemed worthy of disqualification.

21 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Seems harsh but them's the rules.

There doesn't have to be intent.

The act itself is now deemed worthy of disqualification.

it has always been worthy of disqualification

Henman got pumped out of Wimbers for more or less the same thing a few years ago

then there is the guy who kicked over the logo at Queens and cut the line judge's leg

Not one was an attack on the official, however the offence was to abuse the equipment

I don't think anyone contested it not being accidental.

All he needed to do is not lose his temper and lash out. If you are not able to do that then you know the consequences if it results in someone getting hit.

Seen it a number of times and the one thing I've noticed is that there is consistency in the decision regardless who the offender is. [emoji106]
That's what I get for reading about the incident Instead of watching it. I don't believe he lost his temper as I had read, he was just hitting it back to the ball boy/girl.

1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:

Indeed.

I watched it a few times this morning, exactly as you say, hitting the ball towards the back of the court, and not even hard.

The linesperson was acting as if she'd been hit with a karate move.

Dreadful decision, no wonder he didn't attend the required interview after the match. 

Just watched it. That is a hilarious over-reaction from the line judge.

"Left her struggling to breathe". Oh come on FFS.

They were right to disqualify him though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...