The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

Congratulations :clapping

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38467970

Andy Murray knighted in New Year Honours

• 6 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the sectionScotland
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/13568/production/_93180297_murray.jpgImage copyrightPA Image captionAndy Murray won a second Wimbledon title and retained his Olympic gold medal this year

Andy Murray has been given a knighthood in the New Year Honours list.

The tennis star rounds off a landmark year in which he won a second Wimbledon title, retained Olympic gold and finished the year as world number one.

Also honoured are Scottish rower Katherine Grainger, who becomes a dame, and wheelchair tennis player Gordon Reid, who receives an MBE.

Murray, who is a Unicef UK ambassador, receives his knighthood for services to tennis and charity.

He also became a father in February and was named BBC Sports Personality of the Year for an unprecedented third time.

The honour comes after Murray claimed he was too young for a knighthoodfollowing speculation he would be given the title earlier in the year.

Edited by shull

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, elvis said:

He is f**king rubbish how the f**k he ever got to number 1 baffles me .

Aye , thats right. Multi Millionaire, World number 1, Double Olympic Champion, Three times grand slam winner is f**king rubbish. 

Nice to see its not just football you spout negative pish about.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

29 minutes ago, elvis said:

He is f**king rubbish how the f**k he ever got to number 1 baffles me .

It's well documented you're stupid, majority of posts confirm that but to give you some credit he has been playing very poor THIS season.

How he got to world number 1 was because he was the best in the world throughout last year.

Run along, you must have goldfish to speak to. :byebye

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think he is struggling with the Number 1 ranking.

I remember McEnroe talking about how everything changed when he got there. Especially when Borg quit.

Well Bud, the only way is down..................

In saying that the British Press are a bit OTT, the guy worked his socks off, he is a true winner and tossers that sell print don't know what that takes...

Anyway Round 3 here we come

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think he is struggling with the Number 1 ranking.

I remember McEnroe talking about how everything changed when he got there. Especially when Borg quit.

Aye, that's quite common, the physical and mental effort to get there can result in a drop in mental strength, resulting in a slight loss in form and, as with Murray, injuries and illness add to the pressure.

Very fine margins with the guys at the top.

A stern test, especially with Wimbledon looming up pretty soon.

Every game/victory should slowly get him back to the form required to mix it with the big boys but he still has quite a way to go IMO.  

2 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Agreed plus he has had an elbow injury which even with my limited tennis knowledge is kinda important in a game that involves arms:whistle 

I mentioned injuries ya trumpet! :P

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, that's quite common, the physical and mental effort to get there can result in a drop in mental strength, resulting in a slight loss in form and, as with Murray, injuries and illness add to the pressure.

Very fine margins with the guys at the top.

A stern test, especially with Wimbledon looming up pretty soon.

Every game/victory should slowly get him back to the form required to mix it with the big boys but he still has quite a way to go IMO.