The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

• shull changed the title to Roger Taylor , King of the Court.
  • shull changed the title to The Mark Cox Appreciation Thread

9 years ago Andy Murray produced one of the greatest sporting moments in my lifetime.

The US Open final against Djokovic, 2 sets up, he was clawed back to 2-2 when Djokovic started to look like the winner he somehow produced winning tennis to win the tournament.

I sat up until almost 3:00am, with work the next day, and I was just buzzing.

Sport at it's best, two guys finding a way to produce excellent tennis and on court for almost 5 hours.

Tonight Raducanu can become an instant legend, at such a young age, the hardest thing is to sustain such a high level of tennis.

Murray certainly sustained it, the greatest Scottish sportsman in my lifetime.

Raducanu wins. :happyclapper
6-4 6-3
One of the best lady's tennis matches I've watched.
This girl could potentially be massive, and could fill the gap left by Murray being competitive in the slams for Britain.
Glad it didn't go to three sets. 
Night night from me. :byebye
I'd go further.

One of the best tennis matches I've watched.

That was sublime.

Two amazing young talents.

Don't really watch much tennis at all these days. Lost interest when the likes of McEnroe, Connors, Graf, Borg etc retired and personality was largely lost from the game.

However it was an entertaining match to watch, and a very good performance from both Canadian nationals.

However, I think it's more a reflection of the lack of high quality players in the women's game at the moment, that they were in the final. Although they were there on merit.

IMO if either of them had been up against either of the William's sisters in their prime, they'd have been handed a lesson in tennis. There's not that level of quality or consistency in the game these days.

However, the opportunity is there for both of them, if they can stay fit, to develop further and emulate the achievements of the aforementioned sisters.

I enjoyed the final mainly because I had a vested interest.

It was the same going back some years, liked watching Henman, Murray, well, that speaks for itself so I watched a lot of tennis.

Since Murray has slipped away not so much but Raducanu, and it's early days, certainly has reignited my interest. 

The hard work starts now, maintaining this level/standard will be a bigger test.