The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

Well done Murray, a quarter final and two good victories to get there. 

Former world number one Andy Murray said he is seeing signs of improvement in his game after reaching his first ATP quarter-final in two years on Wednesday with a comfortable victory over Canada's Vasek Pospisil at the Moselle Open.

The 34-year-old Briton, who had hip surgeries in 2018 and 2019, has not been able to get back to the kind of form that helped him win three major titles and two consecutive Olympic singles gold medals in London and Rio de Janeiro.

Murray, who has slipped to 113th in the rankings, showed glimpses of his old self on Tuesday when he rallied to beat world number 26 Ugo Humbert of France -- the highest-ranked opponent he has defeated this year.

He then beat world number 66 Pospisil 6-3 6-3 to reach the last eight stage at an ATP tournament for the first time since winning in Antwerp in October 2019.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:25 PM, faraway saint said:

Well done Murray, a quarter final and two good victories to get there. 

Former world number one Andy Murray said he is seeing signs of improvement in his game after reaching his first ATP quarter-final in two years on Wednesday with a comfortable victory over Canada's Vasek Pospisil at the Moselle Open.

The 34-year-old Briton, who had hip surgeries in 2018 and 2019, has not been able to get back to the kind of form that helped him win three major titles and two consecutive Olympic singles gold medals in London and Rio de Janeiro.

Murray, who has slipped to 113th in the rankings, showed glimpses of his old self on Tuesday when he rallied to beat world number 26 Ugo Humbert of France -- the highest-ranked opponent he has defeated this year.

He then beat world number 66 Pospisil 6-3 6-3 to reach the last eight stage at an ATP tournament for the first time since winning in Antwerp in October 2019.

Murray out, put up a fight in the first set, faded in the 2nd.

Oh well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • shull changed the title to The Evonne Goolagong Appreciation Thread
On 10/18/2021 at 6:45 AM, Scott-Leeds said:

He has reached 6 finals this season

Winning 47 matches

I don’t think anywhere near the same league as Murray, but certainly gives us someone to keep an eye on

Add in Emma Radacanu , then been enjoyable recently for British Tennis

A South African and a Canadian  player. So Norrie is British because he has a Scottish dad and Welsh mum who moved to South Africa where he was born, then New Zealand and Emma is British because, well, she was born in Canada but her Romanian dad and Chinese mum moved to England. Talk about wanting it all ways.

Edited by stlucifer

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

A South African and a Canadian  player. So Norrie is British because he has a Scottish dad and Welsh mum who moved to South Africa where he was born, then New Zealand and Emma is British because, well, she was born in Canada but her Romanian dad and Chinese mum moved to England. Talk about wanting it all ways.

It's quite common in all sports, no big deal, except for you seemingly.

Anyhow, back to the tennis, Murray comes through a mammoth 3 set match, almost 4 hours, against Tiafoe in Antwerp.

Brilliant victory against Tiafoe, the World No 48.

I'm looking forward to seeing Murray, and Norrie, in Aberdeen in December. :thumbs2

Murray has another very good win against the 10th player in the world.

I watched a 15 min, not a lot granted, highlights video, he, and I don't want to tempt fate, seemed to be moving very very well.

He's had quite a few stand alone victories but can't seem to get a run of 2 or 3 games to get deeper into the tournament.

image.png.fc3a076a20d03b844f46fe44bfb4c7a1.png

Up next, Spanish guy, no 38 in the world. 

image.png.a08dd7f21c16909e746d35beec658ccd.png

His serving is shockingly bad these guys don't need to do much to beat him just wait on him putting it into the net as for his second serve does he actually win any points on it.Hes going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons if he doesn't quit this year .

3 minutes ago, elvis said:

His serving is shockingly bad these guys don't need to do much to beat him just wait on him putting it into the net as for his second serve does he actually win any points on it.Hes going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons if he doesn't quit this year .

He won 58% of his points on his first serve, his opponent 59%.

He had 2 double faults, his opponent had 1. 

His 2nd serve looks like a weakness right enough, well down compared to his opponent, that's the big difference in tonight's game.

I'll see him in December in Aberdeen I'll have a word. 

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

He won 58% of his points on his first serve, his opponent 59%.

He had 2 double faults, his opponent had 1. 

His 2nd serve looks like a weakness right enough, well down compared to his opponent, that's the big difference in tonight's game.

I'll see him in December in Aberdeen I'll have a word. 

Yes tell him he needs to chuck it.