The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

51 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray down 2-1, all going wrong, IF he wins a 5 setter is the last thing he needs.

At this point he's looking like he's out, the German is hitting the ball out of the sweet spot almost every shot, but the beauty of tennis is it can change very quickly.

The delay to allow the roof to be be closed has worked in Murray's favour again.

At that point he was struggling to hang onto the German, since then, upped the pace and is looking like taking the 4th set.

Murray up 5-2, Otte to serve. 

7 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Murray wins again 😂😂😂

That was simply magnificent sport.

Unbelievable that he can perform like this with a metal hip.

It really is incredible.

Anything else he does in this tournament is a bonus but it's a joy to watch him back on court.

And that's Cameron Norrie also into the 3rd round to face Federer or Gasquet.

Evans has a great chance to follow them both later.

Less sure about Raducanu as she's only 18 and has her 2nd round match today.

Getting 4 players into the 3rd round would be a good achievement.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:46 AM, Long John Baldy said:

The 20 year old Canadian wins easily 6-2, 6-3, 6-4.

No surprise, as I said, he's not even close to the same Murray that he once was.

Can he EVER be.....................unlikely IMO. 

IF you'd watched him over the last few months you would have seen he doesn't have the same mobility and strength he once had.

Despite some people thinking he's the Bionic Man it's not all about his hip.

Not playing for that length of time see's a deterioration in all the other key muscle areas, especially the brain. :rolleyes:

This from Murray himself..................

"Physically, I actually did pretty well I thought in the first round. But I think the more tournaments that you play, the more matches that you play, you build up that sort of robustness in your body which right now I don't really have."

THIS was the last time Murray played Shapovalov, I, unfortunately, expect similar tomorrow. 

Murray, some 10 months later, still hasn't managed to get many matches under his belt which, as HE says, means he hasn't the robustness in his body for Slam matches. 

The only difference is tomorrows match is on grass, which is probably in Murrays favour. Shapovalov hasn't had much success on the grass at Wimbledon.

And that's 18 year old Emma Raducanu through to the 3rd round beating the 2019 French Open runner-up on the way.

Not bad for someone who has just sat her A levels.

So 4 Brits in the 3rd round - Murray, Evans, Norrie and Raducanu.

Very tough draws for all of them as you'd expect at this stage.

Evans looks to have the best chance of getting through and will play a lower ranked player in the 4th round if he does so. He looks a pretty good bet for the quarter finals.

Anything else will be a bonus but all 3 remaining players are clearly fighters so who knows.

If they had been fit and free of covid, we could reasonably have expected both Konta and Kyle Edmund to have been in the 3rd round with them. On the whole, British tennis is looking pretty good at the moment.

Edited by oaksoft

13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

THIS was the last time Murray played Shapovalov, I, unfortunately, expect similar tomorrow. 

Murray, some 10 months later, still hasn't managed to get many matches under his belt which, as HE says, means he hasn't the robustness in his body for Slam matches. 

The only difference is tomorrows match is on grass, which is probably in Murrays favour. Shapovalov hasn't had much success on the grass at Wimbledon.

No it wasn't, ya dumpling. :lol:

It was another Canadian, FelixAugerAliassime, wrong person answer. :rolleyes:

Never played each other before so NO history, although that doesn't matter according to Oaky.

If I was to put money on it, Murray to lose in 4. 

11/4 on offer for this. 

As I mentioned over in the latest scores thread, a conflict between this match is likely with the Belgium v Italy game.

Edited by faraway saint

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No it wasn't, ya dumpling. :lol:

It was another Canadian, FelixAugerAliassime, wrong person answer. :rolleyes:

Never played each other before so NO history, although that doesn't matter according to Oaky.

If I was to put money on it, Murray to lose in 4. 

11/4 on offer for this. 

As I mentioned over in the latest scores thread, a conflict between this match is likely with the Belgium v Italy game.

Had a wee bit of this I'm afraid but I'll probably watch the Murray match rather than the football, could be his last game at Wimbledon, I've seen every other game, wouldn't want to miss this one.

Be prepared for tears at the end. 

Edited by faraway saint

Murray 1-2 other guy, way too hard to spell that every time, early break to the Canadian.

Until the 3rd game Murray was playing the better tennis.

This you guy's no mug, not so many cheap points for Murray and he'll hit more winners than the German did on Wednesday night. 

PS O should add, WHAT a backhand this guy's got. 

Edited by faraway saint