The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

Murray surprised me. He is looking fitter than I expected and, let's be honest, his opponent didn't put a foot wrong and only two poor games made the difference. Andy also looked fresh enough to continue if another set was required. Maybe not quite time for the slippers.

7 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Murray surprised me. He is looking fitter than I expected and, let's be honest, his opponent didn't put a foot wrong and only two poor games made the difference. Andy also looked fresh enough to continue if another set was required. Maybe not quite time for the slippers.

100% this. 

52 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Draper, GB, just won the 1st set against the 19th seed De Minaur.

Draper's got quite an all round game to go far, not so much this year but one to watch.

1-1 in sets, the Australian won the 2nd set tie break 7-0, don't see that very often. 

There's not much of De Minaur but he can hit the ball.

Not a lot of finesse from either player TBH. 

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1-1 in sets, the Australian won the 2nd set tie break 7-0, don't see that very often. 

There's not much of De Minaur but he can hit the ball.

Not a lot of finesse from either player TBH. 

Draper getting a lesson, being out hit, 2-1 down in sets and 1-3 down in the 4th.

Needs to vary his game, blasting the ball on almost every shot won't work against the better players.

A lesson learned.

I'm bailing out, roll on tomorrow, Norrie back on court. 

40 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Norrie currently winning, with some to spare.

2-0 in sets, be a massive surprise of he loses this from here, the American isn't great TBH. 

At the same time Norrie hasn't been outstanding, Murray, IMO, would probably beat both of these guys. 

Norrie easily through against a very disappointing American who's head seemed to go down early in the 2nd set.

Anyhow, Norrie sails through, TWO players into week two, I never seen that coming, only thought Norrie had a chance.

First up today, at 11:00 is Miss Tan against the GB player Boulter.

Hoping for a good game.

Liam Broady up against Boulters boyfriend De Minaur who defeated another Brit on Thursday night.

De Minaur seemed very one dimensional, hard hitting, lots of baseline rallies with little finesse. 

Not seen much of Broady so not sure how this will go.

After this match, the main event for me, Kyrgios v Tsitsipas. :thumbs2

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

First up today, at 11:00 is Miss Tan against the GB player Boulter.

Hoping for a good game.

Liam Broady up against Boulters boyfriend De Minaur who defeated another Brit on Thursday night.

De Minaur seemed very one dimensional, hard hitting, lots of baseline rallies with little finesse. 

Not seen much of Broady so not sure how this will go.

After this match, the main event for me, Kyrgios v Tsitsipas. :thumbs2

Broddie out gunned, 3-0 to De Minaur, who I've probably been a wee bit hard on, he is a hard hitting baseline slugger but he is very consistent and generates some power for a guy with a slight build.

Looking forward to the Kyrgios game, more variation guaranteed. 

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Looking forward to the Kyrgios game, more variation guaranteed. 

Well, the Kyrgios match certainly provided entertainment.

Over the top at times, especially from Kyrgios, some outstanding tennis but the antics will be the major talking point.

Anyhow, that will be detailed elsewhere, Kyrgios wins in 4 sets. 

Big day for the last remaining Brits.

Wee Heather first up on Centre Court just after 1:00pm with Norrie on Court No 1 sometime later.

Watsons opponent is ranked 97th, Watson 121, both must see this as a chance in a lifetime to reach the quarters, although the German is still only 22.

Norrie's opponent is ranked 32, Norrie 12.

After yesterday's show today will be more focussed on the tennis.