The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray almost withdraws, injured, jeezo, great timing. 

Wimbledon just around the corner, not that he would have won it but on this form he could have got to the 2nd week, with a decent draw.

Carrying on but not looking great. 

Lost 6-3 in the 3rd.

Good tournament, just need to see what this injury is. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Lost 6-3 in the 3rd.

Good tournament, just need to see what this injury is. 

Thanks FS….been following your commentary from Charles de Gaulle Airport, the match wasn’t on any of the screens. Pity about the result, and the injury, but there’s no doubt Murray is making progress…..you have to admire his determination when many others would have retired on a great career.

Right, off to Yerevan and hopefully three points on Tuesday evening 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

28 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Thanks FS….been following your commentary from Charles de Gaulle Airport, the match wasn’t on any of the screens. Pity about the result, and the injury, but there’s no doubt Murray is making progress…..you have to admire his determination when many others would have retired on a great career.

Right, off to Yerevan and hopefully three points on Tuesday evening 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Hi mate, I had a bit of trouble finding a channel to watch it, eventually found it on an Italian channel, the commentary almost started to make sense by the end. :lol:

3 points and a decent performance to end the season on a wee bit of a high, all the best. 

Edited by faraway saint

• 2 weeks later...

Wimbledon starts on Monday, I'll be surprised if any of our ladies get to week two, (or past round 2 TBH) probably only a slight chance any of the men will get that far either.

Norrie the best hope with Murray struggling with an injury.

I miss the days when Murray was at his best, he created an atmosphere that's hard to beat. :(

Roll on tomorrow,  Wimbledon gets underway way, I need some decent sport, the last few weeks have been murder, nothing worth watching doubled up with summer TV being shite equals shit TV. 

As I've previously mentioned I don't hold out much/any hope the the Brits can reach week two.

Norrie seems to have went off the boil, Murray, well, if he was as fit as he could be might have made it, wee Emma, round 2, will lead the women to the annual early exit.  

Cannie beat Wimbledon.  💓 

Edited by faraway saint

Just now, Callum Gilhooley said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned previously but Wimbledon this year has been stripped of its ranking points because of its decision to ban Russian & Belarusian competitors . ☹️ 

Aye, I'd read something along them lines a while ago.

I don't agree with the decision, seems to have been a "knee jerk" reaction. 

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, I'd read something along them lines a while ago.

I don't agree with the decision, seems to have been a "knee jerk" reaction. 

Got to laugh though. The ATP say it’s discriminating against Russian athletes - such a principled stance and then you realise they (ATP) refuse to show the Russian flag on their own site rankings page . 🤷‍♂️  

I assume the US Open points will be removed also as they have said they will refuse Visas for Russian players 

Murray, always a crowd pleaser, on centre court tomorrow.

CENTRE COURT - 1:30PM

1. Novak Djokovic v Soonwoo Kwon

2. Alison Van Uytvanck v Emma Raducanu (GBR)

3. Andy Murray (GBR) v James Duckworth

Norrie, shipped out to court number three on early..................

NO.2 COURT - 11:00AM

1. Cameron Norrie (GBR) v Pablo Andujar

2. Bernarda Pera v Anett Kontaveit

3. Jannik Sinner v Stan Wawrinka

4. Maria Sakkari v Zoe Hives

32 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wee Emma managed to win the first set, tight but played some decent stuff at times, a tad inconsistent. 

She's playing a ginger, if the sun comes out wee Emma should scud here, gingers don't like the sunshine. 

Wee Emma through, good run out, round 2 beckons.

NOW the main event MURRAY. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray loses the first set 7-5.

The wee fella has a tidy game, as usual, the question is can he keep up this level over a 5 set match as Murray WILL raise his game.

Murray a little slack at times. Duckworth steady. 

29 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray loses the first set 7-5.

The wee fella has a tidy game, as usual, the question is can he keep up this level over a 5 set match as Murray WILL raise his game.

As I said Murray DID raise his game, winning his service games easier and putting pressure on Duckworth, which, eventually, started to pay dividends.

One set all.......................second set 6-3 to Murray.:thumbs2

Murray continues to improve, his renowned returns and improved serve see him win the third set comfortably, despite Duckworth trying hard to put up some resistance with his strong forehand. 

Murray wins the third set 6-2 :happyclapper

Duckworth whining about bad light, so the roof will be closed and the lights turned on. 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray continues to improve, his renowned returns and improved serve see him win the third set comfortably, despite Duckworth trying hard to put up some resistance with his strong forehand. 

Murray wins the third set 6-2 :happyclapper

Duckworth whining about bad light, so the roof will be closed and the lights turned on. 

A year ago I said if Murray was ever to come back and win Wimbledon it would be biggest achievement ever by a British sportsman you were pissing yourself  :lol   at that statement remember :rolleyes: