The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The 2nd game in the second set lasted an astonishing 20 minutes, aye, for one game.

Williams just sneaked it to break serve, 2-0 and serving.  

The legend wins the second set 6-1.

Not as much in it as the score suggests but, since the roof has been closed, Williams has just had the edge.

Over 3 hours, so much quality tennis, not just smashing it, deft touches and sheer determination sees Tan win.

10-7 in the tie break, superb drama.

Both women deserve so much credit, keeping me watching for over 3 hours is a feat in itself. :lol:

Thanks Serena, simply the best, but the time has come to hang up your racquet. 

I love tennis. 🎾

Tan will probably get pumped in the 2nd round. 

• shull changed the title to The Harmony Tan Appreciation Thread

Norrie on court number 1 tomorrow against Munar, Spain, world number 71, surely a win? 

Norrie is currently world number 12.

Murray v Isner, a few years ago, Murray would have eaten him up, tomorrow, still in with a shout despite Isner being the world number 24.

Can't wait, will miss the Norrie match but will be home in time to see Murray. 

At this stage EVERY game at Wimbledon by Murray is to be savoured, not many left. 

9 minutes ago, shull said:

Well done to the six Brits through to the second round.

Unfortunately, no sign of Cox, Taylor, Mottram, Durie or the gorgeous Wade  .

It will be good to see them go further. Is the tennis centre at Gleneagles not known as The Virginia Wade Tennis Centre?

Edited by Rascal

3 minutes ago, Rascal said:

It will be good to see them go further. Is the tennis centre at Gleneagles not known as The Virginia Wade Tennis Centre?

I would name it the Betty Stove Tennis Centre.

💗

Loved playing Tennis when I was a youngster in the early 1970's. Played at Arthurlie House Tennis Club in Barrhead for a few years. Also,played every day at Millport during summer holidays.

Magical times.

2 minutes ago, shull said:

Loved playing Tennis when I was a youngster in the early 1970's. Played at Arthurlie House Tennis Club in Barrhead for a few years. Also,played every day at Millport during summer holidays.

Magical times.

I had to go to the next village to play. A walk of a couple of miles there and back to play on the public tennis courts which relied on the Parkie turning up to be open. A tennis club was out of my league!

6 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I had to go to the next village to play. A walk of a couple of miles there and back to play on the public tennis courts which relied on the Parkie turning up to be open. A tennis club was out of my league!

Free membership for children at our local club.

I’m no great fan of tennis, but was engaged by the initial few balls of the Tan/Williams match.

Williams certainly looked heavy and slow and I held out little hope for her… but gradually her quality and understanding of all the angles seemed to wear Tan down.

The longer it went on we could see Williams’ age was having its impact but… till late into the decider at the end…. I believed Williams would prevail.

She was knackered.  Tan was amazingly determined.  

The Queen is dead!  Long live the Queen!

Drama and character and athleticism.  Wonderful.

I’ll likely not look at another match.  I DID enjoy that one.  :)

5 minutes ago, shull said:

Free membership for children at our local club.

Very public spirited of the club. I think my nearest club was two bus rides away at the south side of Dunfermline whilst I stayed in a village to the north. Us mining folks weren’t prime candidates for membership. Instead I took up Rugby, Athletics and Golf. Rugby and athletics via school and golf as I could nip on for free to the course next to the village. 

On 6/26/2022 at 8:25 AM, faraway saint said:

As I've previously mentioned I don't hold out much/any hope the the Brits can reach week two.

Norrie seems to have went off the boil, Murray, well, if he was as fit as he could be might have made it, wee Emma, round 2, will lead the women to the annual early exit.  

Cannie beat Wimbledon.  💓 

Who'd have thunk it, wee Emma oot. :wink:

C'mon Murray. 

Norrie 2 sets all, on a knife edge.