The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

1 hour ago, pod said:

Why take the risk.  Coming out of isolation to go back into isolation. :wacko:

He just physically wasn't able to get out there in time.

Getting there and then spending those mandatory days in isolation would have taken him past the start of the tournament. And he could only have gone there with a negative test which I think he ran out of time for.

Edited by oaksoft

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I understand the "one final Wimbers for Andy" sentiment a lot of tennis fans have but if as is likely it's gonna be played without spectators will it be worth it for him?

I understand the lack of spectators, although that's not a done deal IMO, but IF he's fit enough, he'll give it a go as every passing year decreases the minute chance he has...............................of getting past the first week, 

• 3 weeks later...

So, Djokovic is through to another Australian Open final, despite having an "injury" in an earlier round where he struggled to beat a lower ranked player.

A "serious stomach injury" had, yet again, miraculously disappeared.

He has history of this type of shite.

Detracts from an outstanding career. 

Hope he gets pumped on Sunday. 

#cheatingserb

On 2/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, faraway saint said:

So, Djokovic is through to another Australian Open final, despite having an "injury" in an earlier round where he struggled to beat a lower ranked player.

A "serious stomach injury" had, yet again, miraculously disappeared.

He has history of this type of shite.

Detracts from an outstanding career. 

Hope he gets pumped on Sunday. 

#cheatingserb

Djokovic wins in 3, scooshed it apparently.

That's 9 from 9 in the Australian Open, some record.

Pity he resorts to faking injuries when it suits him.

Andy Murray says he feels like he is playing for his career every time he "steps on the court" after earning a first tour-level win since August.

The 33-year-old Briton produced a gritty fightback to beat Dutch wildcard Robin Haase at the Rotterdam Open.

6 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Andy Murray says he feels like he is playing for his career every time he "steps on the court" after earning a first tour-level win since August.

The 33-year-old Briton produced a gritty fightback to beat Dutch wildcard Robin Haase at the Rotterdam Open.

Aye, I just watched a short, just over 2 minutes, highlights video, can still produce some shots that are class.

Unfortunately this was against a guy from Holland I have never heard of, as long as he keeps moving till December, that'll do me. 

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, guinness said:

Not quite sure why he does not chuck it. 34 and unfit. Only harming his reputation.

Can't take away his glory.

And he still loves playing.

3 hours ago, shull said:

Can't take away his glory.

And he still loves playing.

I listened to his interview on radio the other day, he has played tennis since 4 years old and it’s basically his whole life. He should get into coaching youngsters as his passion for the sport is astounding. 

On 9/3/2020 at 7:04 PM, Long John Baldy said:

Murray DOESN'T have the same mobility he had, he's lost a yard in both his thinking and physical ability.

The injury affect is mental as well as physical.

He will never be close to the standard he was, unfortunately,

He got pumped by Raonic the other week a player he used to eat for breakfast.

He'll, despite as many ice baths as physically possible, still bee feeling the affects of his marathon match on Tuesday. 

I've watched his next opponent about a dozen times, I expect him to beat Murray and that should be the end of him trying to compete in the US open. 

Thanks for the memories, his victory over Djojkovoc was one of the sporting highlights of my life, even although I had to get up for work the next morning. 

This guy knows his tennis. :rolleyes:

On 9/4/2020 at 6:46 AM, Long John Baldy said:

The 20 year old Canadian wins easily 6-2, 6-3, 6-4.

16 hours ago, guinness said:

Not quite sure why he does not chuck it. 34 and unfit. Only harming his reputation.

Whit?

No he isn't. :lol:

He's not particularly unfit either. He's lacking match sharpness.

He's attempting to do what no other singles player has ever done in coming back from having a new hip installed.

To even be competing at this level and winning the odd game (and a couple of tournaments as well - one singles and one doubles since his op) is extraordinary.

He said it himself. As long as he's not getting smoked by the top players he'll keep playing.

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, oaksoft said:

Whit?

No he isn't. :lol:

He's attempting to do what no other singles player has ever done in coming back from having a new hip installed.

To even be competing at this level and winning the odd game (and a couple of tournaments as well - one singles and one doubles since his op) is extraordinary.

He said it himself. As long as he's not getting smoked by the top players he'll keep playing.

He's getting "smoked" by anybody. 

Just been thrashed by Berrettini, 6-3, 6-3 and never in it, although I'll assume you never watched it?