The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

2 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

A year ago I said if Murray was ever to come back and win Wimbledon it would be biggest achievement ever by a British sportsman you were pissing yourself  :lol   at that statement remember :rolleyes:  

I'm still pissing myself. 🤪

You, obviously don't watch tennis.  

You also said Gilmour was the best Scottish midfielder in a hunner years, Barcelona he's going to you said. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I'm still pissing myself. 🤪

You, obviously don't watch tennis.  

You also said Gilmour was the best Scottish midfielder in a hunner years, Barcelona he's going to you said. 

No I said Barcelona should buy him and they should... not playing with a bunch of hammer throwers at Norwich wrong team for the lad 

Anyhow, Murray comes through a decent first round match against the world number 74.

Just now, portmahomack saint said:

No I said Barcelona should buy him and they should... not playing with a bunch of hammer throwers at Norwich wrong team for the lad 

Aye, I heard Bracalone are queuing up..........................................:lol:

So the big hitting John Isner up next, on Wednesday.

Murray has a 8-0 record, very impressive, but Isner is the current world number 24.

IF Murray plays well his ability to return could see him win, fingers crossed.

I reckon I've seen between 80-90% of Murrays matches over the last umpteen years, if he makes it to week two this year he'll be doing well.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

:lol:

10 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

It's plainly obvious you don't watch football 

Getting a freebie once a year at Aberdeen doesn't make you football pundit/expert... you have some neck having a opinion on any football player I'll give you that  :lol: 

P.S  your right, I rarely watch tennis unless Andy Murray is playing.. simply because he a Scot 

25 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

P.S  your right, I rarely watch tennis unless Andy Murray is playing.. simply because he a Scot 

I am a camp follower of Andy Murray as a Scot and a local boy and have, like many others followed his career but I wouldn’t pretend to be a massive fan of tennis, nor an expert. The women’s matches often have longer rallies and are sometimes better to watch were it not for Andy. It doesn’t require an expert to deduce that if you serve better and return better then your chances improve and that’s exactly what happened with Andy Murray.

I go to a lot of football games and am constantly amazed at the number of highly qualified football managers there are in the stands, in the car, bus or pub and online who could obviously all do a better job than “whoever the current manager is”. 

8 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Getting a freebie once a year at Aberdeen doesn't make you football pundit/expert... you have some neck having a opinion on any football player I'll give you that  :lol: 

I watch a considerable amount of football, although I don't claim to be an expert. 

I heard Barcelona are trying to sign Gilmour, as a ball boy. :lol:

On 6/27/2022 at 6:58 AM, faraway saint said:

Over the last 20 years it's ONLY been a top player that's won the mens singles.

That's Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray. 

I don't follow tennis that much these days to really, with any confidence, say who could upset that pattern this year but Berrettini could well be that player. :rolleyes:

I’ll bet you £10000 that Berrettini won’t win Wimbledon singles this year . 💰 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Nadal currently in a battle.

he was 2-0 up in sets when I got home but his opponent, Cerundolo (never heard of him) has really started hitting the ball hard and managed to win the third set 6-3.

4th set about to commence. 

Nadal, as most top players do, finds a way, despite like it looking like it was going to the 5th set.

Class. 

Next up, Serena, quite simply a legend. :notworthy

Aye, she's had a few "bad displays of temper" but lots of top class sportsmen/women do.

Overall, she's had it all.

I expect her to still hit the ball but movement has to be a possible issue.

If she's not moving as well she'll not be in the ideal position to allow her to hit the ball as she can.

Anyhow, I'll just sit back and relax, it's been a pleasure. 

Great 1st set, Tan (the supposed supporting act) is a throwback player, all finesse, not a "power" player, has been very entertaining.

Williams has been up and down, maybe a wee bit rusty but Tan has stayed true to her own game and came back to take the set 7-5.

Just closing the roof, not sure Tan wanted a slightly longer break, time will tell.