The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

3 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

There are no words what a guy  

That must rank up there with his greatest achievements  

I was close to tears, that has just blew me away, but he's done that plenty of times over the years. 

Imagine going back to pre Murray, dare to dream a Scottish tennis player could hold his own and along comes Murray to be world No 1, a career threatening hip problem and to come back and win his last 2 matches in 5 sets.

I'm buying an Andy Murray blow up doll. :wub:

3 hours ago, elvis said:

He keeps getting put up against these guys that hit bombs .

You called that right, the Australian, especially early on, was smashing forehands all over the court.

After 2 sets is was looking like Murray was out, it was close but Murray was just second best.........then he showed why he's what he is and dug in.

Plenty players would have thrown in the towel, not Murray. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I was close to tears, that has just blew me away, but he's done that plenty of times over the years. 

Imagine going back to pre Murray, dare to dream a Scottish tennis player could hold his own and along comes Murray to be world No 1, a career threatening hip problem and to come back and win his last 2 matches in 5 sets.

I'm buying an Andy Murray blow up doll:wub:

Me too I get to emotional  😭  I had to give up watching Little House on the Prairie for the same reason  :lol:

I've already got one....  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
25 minutes ago, Percy Veer said:
:rolleyes:

Sick edit, you're really showing the real you now.

Showing my real self now?  Am I?  Am I really?  There was nothing "sick" about it to the best of my knowledge.

Why do you feel the need to jump in and defend Faraway Ranger everytime someone has a "pop back" at him?

Edited by Percy Veer
Quotation marks.

Ok, Murray due on soon.

After the euphoria of Thursday it should be mentioned that a player higher up the rankings than the Australian would, almost certainly have sent Murray home.

Today's opponent, if he gets 2-0 up, WILL win so Murray has to get off to a fast start, he simply won;t get the chances he had the other day.

C'mon Murray. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Running out of superlatives for Murray.

WINS the 2nd set on a tie break, 9-7.

Oh my, he's something else. :happyclapper

Top level tennis must be one of the most physically and mentally demanding individual professional sports.

When you consider that top level football matches the ball is only “in-play” for less than 60 minutes and these poor wee players need multiple substitutions just to get through a game and then they complain about playing a few days later.

Boils ma piss so it does. 

1 minute ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Top level tennis must be one of the most physically and mentally demanding individual professional sports.

When you consider that top level football matches the ball is only “in-play” for less than 60 minutes and these poor wee players need multiple substitutions just to get through a game and then they complain about playing a few days later.

Boils ma piss so it does. 

I'm pretty much in that boat but you have to take into account that football players get clattered on a regular basis which takes it's toll on the body.

On a recent holiday we met a nice American couple and they said the American Football season is vert short but the physical aspect means it's not really an option to extend the number of games.

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm pretty much in that boat but you have to take into account that football players get clattered on a regular basis which takes its toll on the body.

Difference today compared with when we were young guys watching is that you had for example excellent right backs like Beckett, Grieg and McGrain who could be extremely physical. 

We managed for years perfectly fine with two substitutes.

John Grieg and Danny McGrain each played around 600 games at a top level on pitches that would be called off today.

Teams like Villa and Forest won the league and European cup with a total squad of players of 14.

The game is far less physical in terms of challenges so that’s not a good argument. 

Just my opinion.