The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

20 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Difference today compared with when we were young guys watching is that you had for example excellent right backs like Beckett, Grieg and McGrain who could be extremely physical. 

We managed for years perfectly fine with two substitutes.

John Grieg and Danny McGrain each played around 600 games at a top level on pitches that would be called off today.

Teams like Villa and Forest won the league and European cup with a total squad of players of 14.

The game is far less physical in terms of challenges so that’s not a good argument. 

Just my opinion.

The game is however far more athletic and faster…..common injury types have changed a lot from the 70’s to the current day. What would be interesting to know, and I haven’t looked into this, would be distance covered in a season between the two sports ( maybe even include training). That said there is probably more twisting in Tennis which also takes it’s toll……..the only thing for certain is that to play either sport at the top level you have to be an incredible athlete.

Anyway…….C’mon Andy 

21 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

The game is however far more athletic and faster…..common injury types have changed a lot from the 70’s to the current day. What would be interesting to know, and I haven’t looked into this, would be distance covered in a season between the two sports ( maybe even include training). That said there is probably more twisting in Tennis which also takes it’s toll……..the only thing for certain is that to play either sport at the top level you have to be an incredible athlete.

Anyway…….C’mon Andy 

In an hour of tennis they run approx 4-5 miles.

Football players run approx just over 6 miles over the 90 minutes.

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Djokovic 2-0 in sets.

Been close but he finds a way in the big points.

Superb tennis from both players. 

Djokovic wins 3-0 but much closer than that suggests as two sets were on a tie break.

The man, love him or loath him, is a machine.

22 grand slams, equal with Nadal, Federer trailing way down on 20. :rolleyes:

The unruly behaviour of the crowd, according to the commentators this has been going on all week, was outrageous, shouting out quite deliberately at crucial points during play. 

Get these twats thrown out, Djokovic had this done earlier in the week but it shouldn't fall on the players, the venues are getting paid handsomely and could easily have security throw these clows out. 

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Watching the Australian Open final right now, Djokovic v Tsitsipas and this is the reason that, sadly, Murray will never win another Slam.

The level these guys are playing at would see Murray get thrashed.

Murray was at the same level and seems to believe that he can get back up there if he can return to top seedings.  I doubt he will ever win at Paris,  but if he gets the breaks he can get himself into the quarters at Wimbledon or the US open and if the draew falls favourably he can get there in shorter matches than he has had in big tournaments lately.  He should seriously think about his racket technology and see if he can develop a kick-serve.  If he was on a level playing field equipment wise then that would help a lot, but i read that he dreads the loss of "feel" that would result.

Just now, beyond our ken said:

Murray was at the same level and seems to believe that he can get back up there if he can return to top seedings.  I doubt he will ever win at Paris,  but if he gets the breaks he can get himself into the quarters at Wimbledon or the US open and if the draew falls favourably he can get there in shorter matches than he has had in big tournaments lately.  He should seriously think about his racket technology and see if he can develop a kick-serve.  If he was on a level playing field equipment wise then that would help a lot, but i read that he dreads the loss of "feel" that would result.

Aye, he WAS.

He could, possibly, go deep in the 3 set tournaments but if you watched todays final you would have seen that he would simply have been overpowered and outplayed.

His exploits last week need some balance.

His first round victory was a very good one, against the 13th seed.

His epic battle against the Australian was, on the surface, outstanding bui his opponent is an also ran in Slams.

Anyhow, time will tell, I'd wager anything he will never win another Slam and even a lower level tournament would need a LARGE amount of good fortune, and I have Murray in the "Best Ever Scottish Sportsman" bracket. 

As for the "technology", meh. 

• 4 weeks later...