The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

I never saw any of the match yesterday but the scoreline, losing 6-4, 6-4, suggests Murray wasn't far away, certainly closer than I thought he'd be.
A good week and definite improvement, good signs for the rest of the season. :thumbs2
Was saving himself for the Dubai competition starting tomorrow. [emoji6]

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Was saving himself for the Dubai competition starting tomorrow. emoji6.png

T B H he'll do well to get past his first opponent.

IF he gets to the 3rd round a certain Mr Djokovic will probably be waiting.

That, im afraid, will be the end of his tournament. 

Update, Murrays first round opponent, Hubert Hurkacz, has just won the Marseille final.  

Edited by faraway saint

T B H he'll do well to get past his first opponent.
IF he gets to the 3rd round a certain Mr Djokovic will probably be waiting.
That, im afraid, will be the end of his tournament. 
Update, Murrays first round opponent, Hubert Hurkacz, has just won the Marseille final.  
The advantage he has is the 1st round games are tomorrow and he's already in Dubai whereas as you've updated, his opponent has just won in Marseille. [emoji6]

Just now, Cookie Monster said:
6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
Murray pulls out due to "injury". 
More a preventative move as bigger tournaments coming up in the USA next week. 

Wondered how much the schedule of playing every day, even for a best of 3 set competition was going to affect him.

More ranking points in the USA is the real reason, good thinking to manage his schedule.

Federer done that over the last few years, picking his tournaments to suit what his body was telling him.

Murray up to 52 in the world rankings from 70. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, faraway saint said:

I never saw any of the match yesterday but the scoreline, losing 6-4, 6-4, suggests Murray wasn't far away, certainly closer than I thought he'd be.

A good week and definite improvement, good signs for the rest of the season. :thumbs2

Medvedev has just beaten Djokovic by the same score as he beat Murray.

That certainly shows how close Murray is, in 3 set matches anyway, to have a chance in upcoming tournaments. 

Into the 3rd round with a fairly comfortable 2-0 win against an opponent who played some great shots but made far too many errors against an experienced competitor like Andy .

All Brit showdown in round 3 versus Jack Draper next.  Not going to be easy but an on form Murray should ( hopefully) prevail .

8 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Into the 3rd round with a fairly comfortable 2-0 win against an opponent who played some great shots but made far too many errors against an experienced competitor like Andy .

All Brit showdown in round 3 versus Jack Draper next.  Not going to be easy but an on form Murray should ( hopefully) prevail .

Bookies aren't seeing this as a Murray victory, Draper favourite. 

I see it as evens for both players TBH. 

image.thumb.png.3c31085494e0e98c0bc4a61542fe7fbb.png

On 3/11/2023 at 11:45 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

The bookies were right, Draper wins in 2 sets, looks like, as it was played in the early hours I never seen any of it, that the 1st set was critical.

Draper took it on a tie break 8-6, 2nd set was more comfortable 6-2.

I've mentioned before I think Draper could be a star, seen him last year at Queens and there was something about him that suggested he's a top 10 player. 

He's currently sitting at 56 so quite a way to go, let's see where he is at the end of this season. 

PS Unfortunately Draper is up against Alcaraz next, that would be a scalp if he managed to take him out, as unlikely as that will be. 

Edited by faraway saint

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

If it hadn't been for his serious injury Murray would easily be sitting 4th, possibly threatening Agassi's position.

Another reason he's, for me, the best Scottish sportsman in my lifetime. :thumbs2

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "AMC N AMC MOST ATP HARD COURT WINS 1. 2. ROGER FEDERER NOVAK DJOKOVIC ANDRE AGASSI RAFAELNADAL ANDYMURRAY 5. 783 670 592 516 491 (E:ST) EUROSPORT"

He’s very definitely up there . Incredible sportsman who was unfortunate to be born into an era with Nadal, Djokovic & That other guy - whatsisname 😉

To have had the length of career he’s had at the top and achieved so much is something I think we’re unlikely to see emerge from Scotland any time soon.  

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

He’s very definitely up there . Incredible sportsman who was unfortunate to be born into an era with Nadal, Djokovic & That other guy - whatsisname 😉

To have had the length of career he’s had at the top and achieved so much is something I think we’re unlikely to see emerge from Scotland any time soon.  

410hjXU-0tL._AC_.jpg

And I agree. He would have won far more if there wasn't that unusual number of really top stars in his era.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...