The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

• shull changed the title to The Lawn Tennis Thread
Roger Federer, possibly one of the best players ever to lift a tennis racquet, has decided to retire.
At his best he seemed to float over the court, hardly breaking sweat and just got on with the job.
What a player and he will be missed.

Absolutely, we’ve been blessed in recent years

Federer / Nadal / Djokovic / Murray

End of this current era is nigh

21 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Absolutely, we’ve been blessed in recent years

Federer / Nadal / Djokovic / Murray

End of this current era is nigh

There's been similar eras when players dominated...................

Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Sampras for starters.

The recent US Open final gives you two guys, especially Alcaraz, who could well be the new kings of the castle.

Tennis is a great game, a brilliant scoring system that always gives the chance of a comeback.

I'm looking forward to seeing Murray in December, it'll be a honour to see one of the best Scottish sportsmen live. 

There's been similar eras when players dominated...................
Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Sampras for starters.
The recent US Open final gives you two guys, especially Alcaraz, who could well be the new kings of the castle.
Tennis is a great game, a brilliant scoring system that always gives the chance of a comeback.
I'm looking forward to seeing Murray in December, it'll be a honour to see one of the best Scottish sportsmen live. 

I’ve heard about Alcaraz , not seen him yet

Murray will probably bow out soon I’d imagine ?

I prefer grass court tennis [emoji462] overall but watch all tennis when time allows

I hope we get another batch ( as in at least 3 or 4 ) to follow in the near future

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just watched a superb final in the Paris Masters.

A 19 year old Danish player, Rune, managed to beat the legend that is Djokovic in 3 sets.

The last, and deciding game, lasted 17 minutes.

Credit to the young guy holding his nerve. :happyclapper

It wont be long till i have the pleasure of watching Murray in the flesh in Aberdeen just before Christmas.

It'll be an honour to watch one of the greatest Scottish sportsmen ever. 

• 1 month later...

Brilliant tennis from Murray to win the 3rd set tie break 12-10

I was concerned this would be a bit of a exhibition match, not a bit of it, real tennis from both players.

Cant wait for tomorrow, I might have to push some children out of the way to get a "selfie" with Murray. :lol:

Current score, England 1-1 Scotland. 

PS The female commentator, Jenny Drummond, an absolute wassock. :1eye

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, elvis said:

That was a fantastic shot from Murray to win it.

He was on top form in the first set, hitting the ball straight out of the middle of the racquet.

Draper really raised his game in the 2nd set, he's a talent IMO and worth watching in the future,.

First came onto my radar at Queens this year and since then he's had a great season, currently number  42 in the world at the age of 20. (21 tomorrow)

As I mentioned, a real tennis match, I was worried it would be an over priced knock about, certainly not on tongiths showing.

Can't wait for tomorrow, Murray against Evans will be a cracker. 

The evening session featured the Murray brothers.

Although our seats were very close the view was poor but the match was good enough to keep us interested.

The Murray brothers won to round off an excellent day/night.

At one point a stray shot sent a ball into the Scottish team area where it hit a certain Willie Miller right on the heid. 🤣

Managed to get a picture with Ian Holloway, what a character.  

Also a young player, Johnny O'Mara, starred who hails from Arbroath. He was crowned the Prince of Arbroath, decent player and quite a personality.