The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

On 7/1/2021 at 8:42 PM, oaksoft said:

And that's 18 year old Emma Raducanu through to the 3rd round beating the 2019 French Open runner-up on the way.

Not bad for someone who has just sat her A levels.

So 4 Brits in the 3rd round - Murray, Evans, Norrie and Raducanu.

Very tough draws for all of them as you'd expect at this stage.

Evans looks to have the best chance of getting through and will play a lower ranked player in the 4th round if he does so. He looks a pretty good bet for the quarter finals.

Anything else will be a bonus but all 3 remaining players are clearly fighters so who knows. :lol:

If they had been fit and free of covid, we could reasonably have expected both Konta and Kyle Edmund to have been in the 3rd round with them. On the whole, British tennis is looking pretty good at the moment.

Clearly not you. 

2 of your 4 out already, after tomorrow, probably the other two will join them. :byebye

46 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I Heart Clowns GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

That reaction tells me your were getting a bit worried after only 2 matches dafty  

You really are one sad individual,  Go out and get a life man there's a big world out there, I've no idea why but I actually feel quite sorry you, sitting all day every day on your labtop have you not got any social life at all ? ? 

Don't answer that no one will believe you :rolleyes: 

8 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

That reaction tells me your were getting a bit worried after only 2 matches dafty  

You really are one sad individual,  Go out and get a life man there's a big world out there, I've no idea why but I actually feel quite sorry you, sitting all day every day on your labtop have you not got any social life at all ? ? 

Don't answer that no one will believe you :rolleyes: 

Usual response when people are all out. :lol:

You've missed out "posted 50,000 posts". 🤡

PS What's a "labtop"?

If you're going to get all angry and throw some dirt, rule 1, you really shouldn't feck up your spelling and miss out a few commas. :byebye

PS I was getting that worried I stuck cash on Murray to lose, aye, worried my arse. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

Well, the day after Murray's match, slightly disappointed, I'd hoped he would have mace it closer but the brutal truth is, as he's said, lack of serious matches is a major factor in hampering his progress.

Sure, in flashes, and more so in the first set, he showed some of his class but his opponent was simply much better consistently. 

I wasn't surprised he lost, too many people got carried away by his last match, forgetting the guy was 151'st in the world.

I was 152nd at one point :rolleyes:, honing my skills at Barshaw, Brodie park and the Anchor rec. 

Maybe he shouldn't stop playing, maybe he should, that's entirely down to him and his team/family.

At times last night the gulf in class was embarrassing, the crowd were struggling to provide any inspiration, and that's sad.

If it's his last match at Wimbledon it wasn't a fitting exit. 

Well, the day after Murray's match, slightly disappointed, I'd hoped he would have mace it closer but the brutal truth is, as he's said, lack of serious matches is a major factor in hampering his progress.
Sure, in flashes, and more so in the first set, he showed some of his class but his opponent was simply much better consistently. 
I wasn't surprised he lost, too many people got carried away by his last match, forgetting the guy was 151'st in the world.
I was 152nd at one point :rolleyes:, honing my skills at Barshaw, Brodie park and the Anchor rec. 
Maybe he shouldn't stop playing, maybe he should, that's entirely down to him and his team/family.
At times last night the gulf in class was embarrassing, the crowd were struggling to provide any inspiration, and that's sad.
If it's his last match at Wimbledon it wasn't a fitting exit. 

I know you were joking regarding ranking, but don't remember seeing tennis courts in any old photos of Anchor Rec. Anyone know if there was?

I know you were joking regarding ranking, but don't remember seeing tennis courts in any old photos of Anchor Rec. Anyone know if there was?
Where the 5s pitches were, maybe (but obviously not at the same time)?

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Fantastic win for Raducanu. Going to be fascinating to see how far she can get.

Looking tough for Norrie right now though.

She's a breath of fresh air, playing with no fear or worries at this stage.

Her next match will be tough but the real test is the next 12 months, every year there's a new star with most of them slipping back into the shadows, hardy heard of again. 

Murray WAS the exception, imagine 20 years ago being told a Scottish tennis player would become the world number 1, win 3 majors and reach the final in umpteen more, add in 2 Olympic Gold medals, that would have been unthinkable. 

Edited by faraway saint