Kid jensen

Ye big fanny McQueen. 
You were one of my heroes tae [emoji38]

Ach he was right though, unlike Tony Fitzpatrick and his prediction of it guaranteeing top flight football for years and years.

The new stadium will always look like a wasted opportunity to me. The sale of Love Street was the luckiest break ever but having won the lottery the board let ego get in the way of business sense and four basic stands came before building something special with facilities that could drive revenue 7 days per week. That revenue was what was likely to keep St Mirren in the top flight for years to come, not a large number of unused seats.

23 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Big McQueen was talking about Love Street 1970 , which was the same as Love Street 1960 , Love Street 2000 was not a bad ground , but we had to move , and I think we will eventually benefit from the move

Nah, I'm not sure if McQueen visited Love Street between 2000 and 2007 but he was certainly there after the Caley Stand was built and the North Bank became all seated. I can remember him as a TV pundit climbing the stairs at the gantry on several occasions. IIRC he was also interviewed for the managers position a couple of times around the end of the 90's and he scouted for Middlesbrough in the late 90's and early 00's. I'd be surprised if his view of Love Street would have changed dramatically after the roof had been put over the Love Street wind tunnel. 

The club certainly had to move - especially when Tesco offered way more than the land was worth. The disappointment is that the club didn't make much more of the opportunity presented to them. 

• 3 years later...
On 1/1/2017 at 11:57 PM, norrie82 said:

I flicked through my channels there and the 1982 top of the pops  Christmas edition was on. He is wearing a black sweater with the smfc 1980s saints badge on it. Can anyone remember the connection with saints?  

I think the connection was via a bit of family tree research and him of his wives family had roots in Paisley.