St Mirren Photos & Videos

6 hours ago, shull said:

Tottie

FB_IMG_1673545608917.jpg

A number of years ago, I was on holiday in Reykjavik with my parents.  We went into a bar that was showing European Cup football.  The sound was off but that didn't bother us.

My Dad went up to the bar and the barman started talking to my Dad after he'd taken his order.  The barman asked if he was correct in thinking we were Scottish.  My Dad said he was correct and the barman asked where we were from.  Then the barman asked if we were St. Mirren supporters.  My Dad was pleasantly surprised to be asked this and the fact that the barman knew of St. Mirren FC.  The barman then said to my Dad "St. Mirren had an Icelander playing for them many years ago, you'll maybe remember him?"  My Dad said "Torfason? Gudmunder Torfason?"  The barman replied "Oh yes, he played for St. Mirren also but I was thinking of Tottie Beck, the genius!"  My Dad saw Tottie Beck play for St. Mirren and was impressed this guy remembered him.  The guy actually had great knowledge of football in general and he was a lovely guy.

28 minutes ago, Percy Veer said:

A number of years ago, I was on holiday in Reykjavik with my parents.  We went into a bar that was showing European Cup football.  The sound was off but that didn't bother us.

My Dad went up to the bar and the barman started talking to my Dad after he'd taken his order.  The barman asked if he was correct in thinking we were Scottish.  My Dad said he was correct and the barman asked where we were from.  Then the barman asked if we were St. Mirren supporters.  My Dad was pleasantly surprised to be asked this and the fact that the barman knew of St. Mirren FC.  The barman then said to my Dad "St. Mirren had an Icelander playing for them many years ago, you'll maybe remember him?"  My Dad said "Torfason? Gudmunder Torfason?"  The barman replied "Oh yes, he played for St. Mirren also but I was thinking of Tottie Beck, the genius!"  My Dad saw Tottie Beck play for St. Mirren and was impressed this guy remembered him.  The guy actually had great knowledge of football in general and he was a lovely guy.

What a fairy tale. 🤣🤣🤣

On 1/15/2023 at 11:19 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Expensive defeat v Cowdenbeath in December '71. We lost Andy McFadden with a bad injury in the first minute and lost a goal straight away and didn't recover . Cammy Murray , Dave  Millar , Dan Stevenson, Gordon McQueen , Billy McDerment for us and Dave Cairns and Billy Mullen for Cowden !

Edited by billyg

10 minutes ago, billyg said:

Expensive defeat v Cowdenbeath in December '71. We lost Andy McFadden with a bad injury in the first minute and lost a goal straight away and didn't recover . Cammy Murray , Dave  Millar , Dan Stevenson, Gordon McQueen , Billy McDerment for us and Dave Cairns and Billy Mullen for Cowden !

hi Billy! It always amazes me how you can remember all the opponents from years gone by as well as our players!

How good was Gordon McQueen in his St Mirren days versus a fit Bobby Reid?

I never got to see Big G in a Saints strip but my recollection of Bobby pre-injury is that he was a better more skilful centre half than Gordon who I could only compare in a Scotland/Leeds/Man U capacity who was surrounded by better players.

I think had injury not ravaged Bobbys career that he would have become an all time great player for Scotland and we would have progressed in World Cups with him in the team!

27 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Look at that Saints team. Many quality players. Just shows the talent available in Scotland then with us recently relegated.

Even Cowdenbeath with Ex Hibee Jim McArthur, Jim Taylor, the great buddie Johnny Dickson available. Red Lichtie, Dick Campbell also there for the Blue Brazil.

Also, over 3000 at Central Park was normal then. Changed days.

49 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

hi Billy! It always amazes me how you can remember all the opponents from years gone by as well as our players!

How good was Gordon McQueen in his St Mirren days versus a fit Bobby Reid?

I never got to see Big G in a Saints strip but my recollection of Bobby pre-injury is that he was a better more skilful centre half than Gordon who I could only compare in a Scotland/Leeds/Man U capacity who was surrounded by better players.

I think had injury v  ravaged Bobbys career that he would have become an all time great player for Scotland and we would have progressed in World Cups with him in the team!

Seen big Gordon score two classic goals in the 72)73 Season, I think. Twice he ran the full length of the pitch, dribbling past many opposition players before crashing the ball beyond the goalkeepers . I think the ball once went through the back of the net .

Oh the memories.

3 hours ago, shull said:

Seen big Gordon score two classic goals in the 72)73 Season, I think. Twice he ran the full length of the pitch, dribbling past many opposition players before crashing the ball beyond the goalkeepers . I think the ball once went through the back of the net .

Oh the memories.

Ok so how would you compare big G vs big B?

Based on their playing time at Love St?

That is the question I’m posing.

46 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Ok so how would you compare big G vs big B?

Based on their playing time at Love St?

That is the question I’m posing.

Both top class players . Each 10/10 regarding their time in Paisley.

Shame about Reid's injury. He would have made it to the very top down South like McQueen.