Dunfermline V St mirren (14th January)

Gallacher
             Baird Gordon McKenzie
            Mallan Storie Magennis
McAllister                                    Morgan
               Sutton       Shankland
A change of tactics and personnel, we've got to go for it.

Gordon is out for another 4-8 weeks. And it's not fair to play Morgan and McAlister as wing backs

24 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Gordon is out for another 4-8 weeks. And it's not fair to play Morgan and McAlister as wing backs

Baws. Fair point about the youngsters.

Change if shape might work but we probably dont currently have the right personnel for it.

Baws. Fair point about the youngsters.
Change if shape might work but we probably dont currently have the right personnel for it.

We really don't have the players, or they at least need a lot more tactical training. They have no idea what they are supposed to do off the ball during the game as it is. The midfield plays so far behind Sutton it totally negates his strengths in play. Or they leave our defence ridiculously exposed, with needless passing football forcing centre half's to attempt to pass the ball about which with the standard of player we have is a recipe for disaster.

They don't know when they should press a team as a unit and look to force mistakes or drop deep and make the defence more solid. There's no cohesion throughout the team and a complete lack of tactical awareness throughout the team.

We should be focusing on playing the most basic football possible, in an attempt to eliminate mistakes. All our focus in training should be on where players should be roughly positioned during general phases of play, to actually make us resemble a competitive football team. You can't teach talent, you can teach where players should be looking to position themselves to make an effective unit.

10 hours ago, gc_SMFC said:

We really don't have the players, or they at least need a lot more tactical training. They have no idea what they are supposed to do off the ball during the game as it is. The midfield plays so far behind Sutton it totally negates his strengths in play. Or they leave our defence ridiculously exposed, with needless passing football forcing centre half's to attempt to pass the ball about which with the standard of player we have is a recipe for disaster.

They don't know when they should press a team as a unit and look to force mistakes or drop deep and make the defence more solid. There's no cohesion throughout the team and a complete lack of tactical awareness throughout the team.

We should be focusing on playing the most basic football possible, in an attempt to eliminate mistakes. All our focus in training should be on where players should be roughly positioned during general phases of play, to actually make us resemble a competitive football team. You can't teach talent, you can teach where players should be looking to position themselves to make an effective unit.

We need to scrap the 'hoof the baw' method from our centre halfs and the Mallan hollywood passes. We play nice football at times when we get the ball on the deck. QOTS had the ball on the deck for much of the game and had us on the backfoot at times. Build on the basics I say.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Agree that somebody needs to go up top with Sutton. The distance between him and any other player on Saturday was shocking. Macalister and Morgan just hugged the touch line and didn't get close to him.

Would also chance playing Mallan out wide just for his delivery alone, as much as I like Macalister and Morgan they do tend to lack an end product. Need to start pinging decent balls into Sutts.

21 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

I know we only have 2 wins all season in the league, though 3 wins to close the gap (results elsewhere pending) is surely not a massive ask and far from impossible? QOTS have just ended a horrendous run, surely we will too.

It might have escaped your notice. We HAVE ended our horrendous run. The two wins are recent. Unfortunately our "good run" has been way short of good enough. I cannot see a result against the Pars unless we get new faces in. Preferably 8.

It might have escaped your notice. We HAVE ended our horrendous run. The two wins are recent. Unfortunately our "good run" has been way short of good enough. I cannot see a result against the Pars unless we get new faces in. Preferably 8.

We are on a new horrendous run now, the first one is over. The latest bad run is 2 points from our last 4 games.

4-2-3-1 for sat with Storie and Quinn covering the defence and McAllister, Mallan and Morgan all playing closer to Sutton. Let Naismith and Irvine overlap when required.

We played that formation last time and without Hutton this time we may not hand them a last minute winner.

Both Morgan and Magennis have shown signs of tiredness in recent games. That's to be expected with young players, and isn't a criticism of either player.

I'd like to see the team shaken up a fair bit after Saturday's fiasco - get Baird in beside McKenzie (I'd be happy not to see Webster in a St Mirren shirt ever again), give Jordan Stewart a go at left back instead of Irvine, play Storie and Quinn in the centre of midfield (with Magennis coming on for Quinn after the usual hour), McAllister on the right and I'd have Mallan starting on the left, with the idea of cutting inside for crosses and shots. There's room for two up front but unless we sign someone this week, I'm not sure that Sutton and Shankland work great together (and Clarkson isn't cutting it at all just now).

Thank feck I'm not the manager!   

Dunfermline 8/11, they've been making me a few bob in the last couple of games as a single bet. (First one down to elvis, bless him)

St Mirren 3/1. If you're slightly mad go for this.

I know where my money is going. :rolleyes:

Dunfermline are, on the last 10 games, the 4th best team in the league.

St Mirren are 8th, above QOS and Ayr.

Edited by faraway saint

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Dunfermline 8/11, they've been making me a few bob in the last couple of games as a single bet. (Fist one down to elvis, bless him)

St Mirren 3/1. If you're slightly mad go for this.

I know where my money is going. :rolleyes:

Dunfermline are, on the last 10 games, the 4th best team in the league.

St Mirren are 8th, above QOS and Ayr.

This is just the kind of game we win . Very few giving us a hope in hell . 

With odds of 3/1 it might be worth a correct score and first goal scorer double . 

Am slightly mad so I am . 

Just now, munoz said:

This is just the kind of game we win . Very few giving us a hope in hell . 

With odds of 3/1 it might be worth a correct score and first goal scorer double . 

Am slightly mad so I am . 

You've been saying this for weeks. :byebye

Suppose the law of averages says you'll get it right some day.........................wait, there is no law of averages. :lol:

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You've been saying this for weeks. :byebye

Suppose the law of averages says you'll get it right some day.........................wait, there is no law of averages. :lol:

I'm havin a dip just now . A bit like the Saints you could say - like them , I've also had 2 wins ( of note ) this season .