Jack Ross Must Go.

25 minutes ago, Drew said:

Back on topic, I can't remember who suggested it, but I agree with the view that if we go down and aren't at the top or very close to the top of League One, then Ross' position would surely be very vulnerable.

After six league games :bag, December or the whole league season?

Say we lose the Ayr game - what then?

Should further progress in the SC or winning the diddy Cup mitigate against failure in the league?

Too slo for El Gingero :fire2the fastest post in the west!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Have to say, this is a totally pointless thread....

We all want to vent, but the reason we are in this mess is because we have no stability....

Whilst we all go on about wrong appointments..... time is also a factor, and a muddy pitch with new players , system and a point is actually not the worst start....

As long as we now push on...............

We are all victims here, but at some point you just need to stick with the program....

Should further progress in the SC or winning the diddy Cup mitigate against failure in the league?

I'm not advocating bagging him after 6 games next season. But that's what happened to AR this season, although results had nothing to do with it, as it was purely personal that AR was sacked.

IMO if we go down JR should get bagged immediately.

51 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Good question!

What if we go down with a whimper, no final last stand, no blood & guts result to put us at least in the play offs.... should a manager who wins his second OBE (over before easter) be allowed to assemble a whole new squad again like the recent ten new arrivals.

cant remember exactly but i think it is only Mallan, MacGennis, Morgan and Sutton & Hutton who will still be in contract come the summer, maybe one or two more?

Don't understand all the negativity towards Ross. He has come into a shambles, cleared out all of Rae's hopeless signings, brought in 10 new players who to me all look like decent signings and on Saturday, although we ended up drawing, it is the most passion and quality I have seen from our team in a long time. It was the way it should be when we visit away grounds like Dumbarton. The home team should be working their socks off to keep up with us rather than the all too many easy home wins for teams when we visit. Our goalkeeper looks like a Fraser Forster type, Davis looks like a classy centre half who got a goal on his debut, Storie is exactly what we've needed since goodwin left a pitbull type on opposition players heels and a strong tackler, McGinn has the experience to lead and help the midfield control things and Cammy Smith was a stand out going forward and could be the difference in many games going forward. It is also the most passion ive seen from our fans in a long time even to the point they were cheering and clapping the team off the pitch at the end. Yes it looks like we will go down but I believe Jack Ross and his fresh line up of players will show that he is the right man for the job, even if that job is to bring us back up from the league below.

Edited by YardleyBoom

Given that Ross has now signed 11 new players all of whom can go at the end of the season, are these the actions of a desperate man who is willing to chop, change and unsettle even his new signings at a point in the season when he should as a minimum know the players up for the fight..?

it will define not only his season, but tenure at this and potentially future clubs if we drop like a stone having spent all that money on short termism... equally if he pulls off a great escape perhaps other managers and clubs will seek to sack and replace their entire squad in the january transfer window if they sense the drop is imminent?

or maybe like Raith, just the management team?

I think Ross rolled the dice. I don't believe anybody would have been able to keep Rae's team up. Rae made some signings that were poor and others were hindsight has proven to be poor. Everyone said it was too unbalanced a team and even if we had got Calderwood / Yogi I think they'd have signed a lot of players too in January.  

We may as well keep Ross. Alloa were going great guns till we nicked him so if he can work the same with us in L1 then....

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I think Ross rolled the dice. I don't believe anybody would have been able to keep Rae's team up. Rae made some signings that were poor and others were hindsight has proven to be poor. Everyone said it was too unbalanced a team and even if we had got Calderwood / Yogi I think they'd have signed a lot of players too in January.  

We may as well keep Ross. Alloa were going great guns till we nicked him so if he can work the same with us in L1 then....

They were third, they're still third.

As everyone knows when JR arrived we were tenth, we're still tenth and if we finish the season in tenth position then IMO retaining him for next season would be based more on faith than reason.

Edited by Bud the Baker

On 2/7/2017 at 0:57 PM, YardleyBoom said:

Don't understand all the negativity towards Ross. He has come into a shambles, cleared out all of Rae's hopeless signings, brought in 10 new players who to me all look like decent signings and on Saturday, although we ended up drawing, it is the most passion and quality I have seen from our team in a long time. It was the way it should be when we visit away grounds like Dumbarton. The home team should be working their socks off to keep up with us rather than the all too many easy home wins for teams when we visit. Our goalkeeper looks like a Fraser Forster type, Davis looks like a classy centre half who got a goal on his debut, Storie is exactly what we've needed since goodwin left a pitbull type on opposition players heels and a strong tackler, McGinn has the experience to lead and help the midfield control things and Cammy Smith was a stand out going forward and could be the difference in many games going forward. It is also the most passion ive seen from our fans in a long time even to the point they were cheering and clapping the team off the pitch at the end. Yes it looks like we will go down but I believe Jack Ross and his fresh line up of players will show that he is the right man for the job, even if that job is to bring us back up from the league below.

I like your analysis.

On Tue Feb 07 2017 at 2:57 PM, YardleyBoom said:

Spot on well done Sir. Hope you pm'd  this to Mr TopCat.  

Guest TPAFKATS
Given that Ross has now signed 11 new players all of whom can go at the end of the season, are these the actions of a desperate man who is willing to chop, change and unsettle even his new signings at a point in the season when he should as a minimum know the players up for the fight..?
it will define not only his season, but tenure at this and potentially future clubs if we drop like a stone having spent all that money on short termism... equally if he pulls off a great escape perhaps other managers and clubs will seek to sack and replace their entire squad in the january transfer window if they sense the drop is imminent?

This is a train wreck of a post

22 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

U mean like Ross County do every year, except they don't sack the manager, they back him. So there is your answer

I wouldn't say it's the "actions of a desperate man" Ross has identified the need for change and change he has.

Can I ask..... what would you have done?

He's had time to assess the players and how they do or don't perform and no doubt if he could have brought players in or let players go before the transfer window, he'd have done that.
If he sat back and did nothing he'd have been slated. I'm pretty sure there were players he'd identified to bring to St Mirren that for whatever reason (financial being the main reason) he couldn't.
What Ross has done is bring in players to try to keep us in the league for next season. Signings on such a scale are always a gamble, but if it pays off and we stay up he'll be a hero, if it fails and we go down then at least he tried. Keeping in mind......... a lot if not the majority of Saints fans had accepted relegation prior to the January transfer window.
I for one back Ross not only to keep us up, but to build the squad going forward into next season.
Jack Ross was not my first choice as manager for St Mirren, but he Is the manager and we should give him our support.

22 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I'm quite interested in the highlighted bit above. Having spent all what money? I would've assumed that the changes we made would be largely cash neutral - one out and one in. How much have we spent and where did it go?

I know about the £8k from SMISA, the money from Naismith and McAllister, and would imagine that we would perhaps have had to pay the odd player (e.g. Calum Gallagher) a wee sweetener to get them off the books, but I don't imagine that would've been much. 

I'd also question the assertion that JR "spent all that money on short termism", as it's clearly not his decision on how much the club spends or the terms of the contracts. I would imagine that any decision on the scale of changes made to the playing squad (and any additional financial requirements) would be made through discussions with the BoD and Tony? JR decided that the squad he inherited needed major changes, and I'm not sure that too many fans would argue that. Given our position, it would be daft for us to offer long term deals on Championship wages when we'll need to clear the decks and start again should the worst happen.    

1 hour ago, Edinbuddie said:

I'm quite interested in the highlighted bit above. Having spent all what money? I would've assumed that the changes we made would be largely cash neutral - one out and one in. How much have we spent and where did it go?

I know about the £8k from SMISA, the money from Naismith and McAllister, and would imagine that we would perhaps have had to pay the odd player (e.g. Calum Gallagher) a wee sweetener to get them off the books, but I don't imagine that would've been much. 

I'd also question the assertion that JR "spent all that money on short termism", as it's clearly not his decision on how much the club spends or the terms of the contracts. I would imagine that any decision on the scale of changes made to the playing squad (and any additional financial requirements) would be made through discussions with the BoD and Tony? JR decided that the squad he inherited needed major changes, and I'm not sure that too many fans would argue that. Given our position, it would be daft for us to offer long term deals on Championship wages when we'll need to clear the decks and start again should the worst happen.    

This.

1 hour ago, Russian Saint said:

I wouldn't say it's the "actions of a desperate man" Ross has identified the need for change and change he has.

Can I ask..... what would you have done?

He's had time to assess the players and how they do or don't perform and no doubt if he could have brought players in or let players go before the transfer window, he'd have done that.
If he sat back and did nothing he'd have been slated. I'm pretty sure there were players he'd identified to bring to St Mirren that for whatever reason (financial being the main reason) he couldn't.
What Ross has done is bring in players to try to keep us in the league for next season. Signings on such a scale are always a gamble, but if it pays off and we stay up he'll be a hero, if it fails and we go down then at least he tried. Keeping in mind......... a lot if not the majority of Saints fans had accepted relegation prior to the January transfer window.
I for one back Ross not only to keep us up, but to build the squad going forward into next season.
Jack Ross was not my first choice as manager for St Mirren, but he Is the manager and we should give him our support.

You ask 'what i would have done'? Then basically re-write my post, posing the same questions. So I dont know what I can add to it?

'players moved on playing at higher level'

'big gamble'

'all change at end of season'

'Ross told us on his appointment, the squad he inherited had enough quality to climb the table'

perhaps Jack can answer what happened to that last quote of his above..?

and i dont know any saints fans that had 'accepted relegation' prior to the January transfer window. Plenty, including me were worried Ross had us going in one direction, but few if any accepted we would be relegated.

Edited by Lord Pityme