LEAVING

We have too many high earners who have not contributed enough. Hardie and Walsh were two I believe and some of the senior pros like Langfield (remember him?), Webster and Clarkson. C Gallagher and Hutton have also offered less than far younger players. It's difficult to get rid of players in Jan and I doubt many of the OPs predictions will come to fruition although I heard to-day from a third source Mallan could be off but LO was not the team I heard.

We simply have too much dross we can do little about until the end of the season.

21 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We have too many high earners who have not contributed enough. Hardie and Walsh were two I believe and some of the senior pros like Langfield (remember him?), Webster and Clarkson. C Gallagher and Hutton have also offered less than far younger players. It's difficult to get rid of players in Jan and I doubt many of the OPs predictions will come to fruition although I heard to-day from a third source Mallan could be off but LO was not the team I heard.

We simply have too much dross we can do little about until the end of the season.

These high earners we brought to the club should have been capable of being the spine of a mid-table team comfortably clear of bottom spot. We have no divine right to be anywhere in the Championship because we are St Mirren, a team with a recent top flight status and a major cup win - but FFS, Langfield, Webster, Clarkson, Quinn, Sutton... utter shite against part timers and detached at the bottom of the second tier? Hopefully the whole fcuking lot of them are booted so far down Greenhill Road that their arses don't hit tarmac until the airport slip road.

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

The pressure of trying to anchor a midfield of other young lads won't have helped. Its obvious to everyone (except, perhaps, Alex Rae) that he needs a degree of protection to play to his strengths. Hutton's terrible form didn't help at all, and Quinn has never established himself. Too often, Mallan has had to sit deep, when he should be the playmaker and supporting the striker(s).

He certainly isn't without fault, but Mallan hasn't went from being a really exciting young player to often looking a bit lost for no reason.

In the last few games Mallan has started in the no 10 role. But he has been too far away from Sutton to make any impact and also hasn't been able to get beyond Sutton with Andy Dorman type runs. In a central 2 in midfield unless he has some muscle beside him he is too easily pushed off the ball and unable to play the simple pass choosing too many world cup passes. Yes he may score the odd free kick but feel he needs to be playing for someone else for him to develop his career.

If we had anyone else available a few sub appearances woudn't do him any harm. 

31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

These high earners we brought to the club should have been capable of being the spine of a mid-table team comfortably clear of bottom spot. We have no divine right to be anywhere in the Championship because we are St Mirren, a team with a recent top flight status and a major cup win - but FFS, Langfield, Webster, Clarkson, Quinn, Sutton... utter shite against part timers and detached at the bottom of the second tier? Hopefully the whole fcuking lot of them are booted so far down Greenhill Road that their arses don't hit tarmac until the airport slip road.

Agree with the sentiment but a bit harsh to include Sutton in the list, one of the hardest workers in the team in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agree with the sentiment but a bit harsh to include Sutton in the list, one of the hardest workers in the team in my opinion.

Subjective matter, fair do's. IMHO, facing life in the third tier, and a LONG road to recovery, the list of 'experienced high earners' I named, including Sutton, needs to go. Again, on reflection, maybe not actually booting Sutton's arse down towards the airport... I withdraw that part. We need to rebuild (should we go down) with none of these old guard high earners around. It might be a long road back, but we are where we are. Part of me thinks the likes of Sutton would do OK at that level, but if these old heads cannot do it against Dumbarton or Ayr, why should I believe they would do it against Alloa or Airdrie? 

Edited by pozbaird

10 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Here's hoping we haven't told players to find other clubs before anyone has agreed to sign on the dotted line (besides Storrie).

This is the norm managers pull players in ask if they are happy and they won't be unhappy if they want to find another team. That tells the players in a round the houses way we don't want you here so please move on. Might think this tactic may bite Jack in the arse.

This is a tactic used by loads of managers then the silent treatment  starts to piss the players off then on the bench etc etc.

Heard a rumor now only a rumour that jack is chasing Rory Loy. There is no way he will come down to the championship especially to us. 

Good luck in the transfer window cause we are Gonny need it.

1 hour ago, joezo21 said:

This is the norm managers pull players in ask if they are happy and they won't be unhappy if they want to find another team. That tells the players in a round the houses way we don't want you here so please move on. Might think this tactic may bite Jack in the arse.

This is a tactic used by loads of managers then the silent treatment  starts to piss the players off then on the bench etc etc.

Heard a rumor now only a rumour that jack is chasing Rory Loy. There is no way he will come down to the championship especially to us. 

Good luck in the transfer window cause we are Gonny need it.

Morton are sniffing about him.  If this is the case there's only one winner there and it won't be us. Unbelievable as that is to say considering the positions of both clubs in the last 20 years. 

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Paul Hartley was in the stand yesterday probably doing his home work for the cup game. Maybe also talking about a deal cash and a player we all know he an admirer of Mallan ?

Hartley has wanted wee Stevie since last year he really likes him might be the case.  But I thought he would have moved there by now. That would be a fair swap too but Leyton Orient in the mix too as previously disclosed.

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Morton are sniffing about him.  If this is the case there's only one winner there and it won't be us. Unbelievable as that is to say considering the positions of both clubs in the last 20 years. 

They are also sniffing about Lawrence Shankland from what I've heard down here.

39 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's nonsense.  The winner will be the club that offers him most money.

15 hours ago, Hendo said:

I know Sutton has a lot of supporters and he certainly tries the most out of all the experienced players. John always puts in a shift and looks like he is interested. I share Poz's reservations however.

John is a hard worker but is not blessed with a great deal of talent (and I know he is top scorer). I think its quite easy to mark John out of a game and with his lack of mobility its not a strenuous task. We have absolutely no variety in attack and no pace through the middle. Dobbie is older than John and hadn't trained all week and most QoS supporters thought he hadn't a hope in hell of playing yesterday but he managed to find a yard of space here and there, looked faster and held the ball up well and took his goal with a cool head. We had 15 shots at goal yesterday (to their 8) and I only remember one sclaffed effort from John that was way-off target. In fact in most games since Jack took over we have had more goal attempts than the opposition but relatively few from our main striker. I know he has little support and we do not play enough to his strengths but up front is as major a problem for me as the defence is, considering the chances we are making. I have time for John but we certainly need to change things up top as its not working big time.

Sutton's best years are no doubt behind him, and I wasn't entirely bowled over when he joined us, but he is perhaps the only 'senior' player who has looked interested and remotely able this season.

Night and day when compared with the likes of Webster and Clarkson.

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I know Sutton has a lot of supporters and he certainly tries the most out of all the experienced players. John always puts in a shift and looks like he is interested. I share Poz's reservations however.

John is a hard worker but is not blessed with a great deal of talent (and I know he is top scorer). I think its quite easy to mark John out of a game and with his lack of mobility its not a strenuous task. We have absolutely no variety in attack and no pace through the middle. Dobbie is older than John and hadn't trained all week and most QoS supporters thought he hadn't a hope in hell of playing yesterday but he managed to find a yard of space here and there, looked faster and held the ball up well and took his goal with a cool head. We had 15 shots at goal yesterday (to their 8) and I only remember one sclaffed effort from John that was way-off target. In fact in most games since Jack took over we have had more goal attempts than the opposition but relatively few from our main striker. I know he has little support and we do not play enough to his strengths but up front is as major a problem for me as the defence is, considering the chances we are making. I have time for John but we certainly need to change things up top as its not working big time.

I question why he starts alone up front then near the end we have three strikers on. A couple of games was impressed how Jack throw on extra strikers but it seems to be every game now. I don't know just demoralised with our position.  

Spoiler
17 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Mallan for Barnsley, was the rumour  i heard yesterday 

Well I hope its this week because we need some decent players in now we are hanging on by a finger tip and even that's beginning to slip to drop into oblivion.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

That's nonsense.  The winner will be the club that offers him most money.

The point still stands. Morton have shed four players from their wage bill this week including Gavin Gunning who would have been a good earner, we're operating more or less on a basis where we need to shift folk to get folk in.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The point still stands. Morton have shed four players from their wage bill this week including Gavin Gunning who would have been a good earner, we're operating more or less on a basis where we need to shift folk to get folk in.

Ok, here's the plan, we kidnap Jim Duffy and refuse to let him go until he agrees to sign Webster as Gunning's replacement.

Do people think.we will sell Mallan for 500k.or something.  we will be lucky to get 100k. Remember we are bottom of the second tier in Scottish football.  It would be madness to think an English club will spend big here. Mallan is a talent but he's in a terrible team. Also may the rocco quins fans who told us when he was back it be fine might have to rethink this.