LEAVING

Queen of the South have shown what can be done with 3 decent signings early in the window.  I'm getting the feeling that the board have no money set aside as a contingency for the January window and despite all the signs from early in the season we were struggling are still not making any funds available. It looks like  our effort to beat the drop and strengthen the squad will be funded by £9k gift by SMISA (hopefully paying a U20 Aberdeen player for 5 months doesn't use all of that) and using the money we paid to loanees Walsh and Hardie from July to December to pay 2 or 3 other players from January to May.

Given what is at stake it is very disappointing that while the fans stump up cash for January signings, GLS and the board do not. Welcome to the GLS era folks. Fresh ideas, new thinking, more energy than the old tired last board wanting out.

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Given what is at stake it is very disappointing that while the fans stump up cash for January signings, GLS and the board do not. Welcome to the GLS era folks. Fresh ideas, new thinking, more energy than the old tired last board wanting out.

When did Gordon Scott ever give the impression that he would "stump up cash" for signings?

That's correct - never. I knew that when I signed up, did you?

Queen of the South have shown what can be done with 3 decent signings early in the window.  I'm getting the feeling that the board have no money set aside as a contingency for the January window and despite all the signs from early in the season we were struggling are still not making any funds available. It looks like  our effort to beat the drop and strengthen the squad will be funded by £9k gift by SMISA (hopefully paying a U20 Aberdeen player for 5 months doesn't use all of that) and using the money we paid to loanees Walsh and Hardie from July to December to pay 2 or 3 other players from January to May.

Yep. Off the pitch we are in a worse position than we were before the takeover.

For the last twenty years the likes of Campbell and Gilmour were more than willing to put their hands in their pocket for the club when it was needed. And they did on a regular basis.

As I'm sure everyone knows, Campbell remortgaged his house so we could sign Mark Yardley. Those guys had a quite remarkable commitment to the club.

The new board either don't have the means or the desire (or perhaps neither) to match that level of commitment. The football club is suffering as a result.

Can hardly blame the new directors for that incidentally. Just makes you appreciate what we had before all the more though.

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

When did Gordon Scott ever give the impression that he would "stump up cash" for signings?

That's correct - never. I knew that when I signed up, did you?

I also knew that, and as a result chose not to join the SMISA bid whereas I did sign up for 10000Hours because I didn't have much confidence in GLS.

16 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I also knew that, and as a result chose not to join the SMISA bid whereas I did sign up for 10000Hours because I didn't have much confidence in GLS.

Oh right, so you've opted to comment on fans stumping up cash for signings, but you aren't one of them, yet berate Gordon Scott for not doing so?  That seems a bit odd.

Edited by Drew

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Oh right, so you've opted to comment on fans stumping up cash for signings, but you aren't one of them, yet berate Gordon Scott for not doing so?  That seems a bit odd.

So are only SMISA members allowed to comment on the January window now?

During the months of publicity for the SMISA bid I passed on info to  few other St Mirren fans, at least 1 of whom invested. I looked at the info and was disappointed this time round and chose not to sign up... partly because we had just bought a new house which needed money spent on it and I decided to wait and see about joining later on if the bid did go through.

I thought the one occasion when GLS spoke well was the Q&A in the final fortnight broadcast on periscope and it was the one time in 6 months he began answering questions and was fairly happy with most of the answers... one of which suggested we would have a rainy day fund saved up to cover cash flow issues later in the season so the board would not have to loan the club any money in future and the rainy day fund would be used instead.

Ultimately I wasn't convinced by GLS, and the fact that previously when he was a director and the club needed money for cash flow purposes, he supposedly always declined to help and let the rest of the directors pay a bigger share. I also didn't think it was great to hear that when his company was used for work on the stadium it usually cost us more money as opposed to saving us cash. Nice to hear in all the updates that things are looking up on the park and off the field GLS will set about doing a few building jobs in the stadium and repairs at Ralston. 

8 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

So are only SMISA members allowed to comment on the January window now?

Nope, of course not, but you are taking Scott to task over seemingly failing to deliver on something he never suggested he would do in the first place, and using the SMiSA vote to contribute against him.  That is SMiSA's business, and not really anything to do with Scott, per se. The fact that you aren't involved in the SMiSA arrangement does, perhaps, diminish the credibility of your position (in my view).

Edited by Drew

Well you called the Shankland one correct , wonder if where Stevie Mallon is off to , and hope we get a decent fee for him , hope we can keep hold of Baird , but maybe send him out on loan til the end of the season .

Happy with Storie and Loy coming in , monies from Shankland , Hardie,  Walsh, Hutton and Naismith could allow us to make a couple more decent signings in key positions and give us better shape

If you have no money then you need too weel and deel. However , HOWEVER who wants to come to a club that looks doomed? Personally im really worried about the lack of direction from the board side as it looks like juggling plates. Time will tell. If we go down it will be a dark tunnel hard to get out, very worried, very , very worried.  

If that happens is it ok if I blame the new board? You didn't like it when I blamed the last for our mess[emoji6]

Shankland might well play a part in keeping us in the championship by scoring for Morton against our nearest rivals. 

I like Jack Baird but perhaps he will prosper elsewhere at this stage in his career.  We need experience in central defence.

Gallagher has not impressed. 

Sad, but resigned to, see Naismith go in January but the money coming in might be crucial in us staying up.

On 09/01/2017 at 1:37 PM, TopCat said:

Yep. Off the pitch we are in a worse position than we were before the takeover.

For the last twenty years the likes of Campbell and Gilmour were more than willing to put their hands in their pocket for the club when it was needed. And they did on a regular basis.

As I'm sure everyone knows, Campbell remortgaged his house so we could sign Mark Yardley. Those guys had a quite remarkable commitment to the club.

The new board either don't have the means or the desire (or perhaps neither) to match that level of commitment. The football club is suffering as a result.

Can hardly blame the new directors for that incidentally. Just makes you appreciate what we had before all the more though.

George did not remortgage his house to sign Yardley.Bryan McAusland bought the big man.Even before he joined the board he was dipping into his own pocket and did not get his money back but was given shares instead ultimately becoming a member of the board.Everyone knows that of course.

George did not remortgage his house to sign Yardley.Bryan McAusland bought the big man.Even before he joined the board he was dipping into his own pocket and did not get his money back but was given shares instead ultimately becoming a member of the board.Everyone knows that of course.

To be fair I'm pretty certain that I've heard/seen George or SG claim that George spent his wives pension on Yardley.

Pretty sure it was on the Love street DVD or similar. May well just have been banter for the camera but it has been said.

These two signings will not prevent relegation.  Get a defender and a goalkeeper in and you have a chance. A goalkeeper who has confidence is crucial as it speeds throughout the back four too. You can tell the defence don't trust Gallagher much.  We need three more to stand any chance as we all know the current lot have no backbone 

Edited by norrie82

These two signings will not prevent relegation.  Get a defender and a goalkeeper in and you have a chance. A goalkeeper who has confidence is crucial as it speeds throughout the back four too. You can tell the defence don't trust Gallagher much.  We need three more to stand any chance as we all know the current lot have no backbone 

Completely agree both keepers this year have been terrible and never felt confident with either of them , left back must be a priority as well , Irvine far more comfortable at right back , I'd also like to see another Versatile player that can play a number of positions across the back and maybe even do a job in midfield if required .(Keith Watson type )

To be fair I'm pretty certain that I've heard/seen George or SG claim that George spent his wives pension on Yardley.

Pretty sure it was on the Love street DVD or similar. May well just have been banter for the camera but it has been said.

He says it on The cup final DVD. He says it tongue in cheek, his point was about cashing in to buy the club

On 09/01/2017 at 1:37 PM, TopCat said:

This could be the answer if all the fans remortgaged their houses and we all pooled the pot we could buy Ronaldo or Messi. Any committed members up for it

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

They would be if they were.

I agree Ronaldo and Messi would be right up for it. A wee house in Glenburn with front and back garden for one and a top floor flat in Causeyside street with a great view of the traffic for the other would surely tempt them. Top that with the opportunity to play in 'Feegie' every second week and how could they refuse. :D     Oh sorry. misread that, I think you meant some of the fans wouldn't be committed :wub:   Oh well. I'll just keep paying SMISA  and get a loan player instead. Storrie and Loy could be  the Paisley versions of Ronaldo and Messi. Here's hoping. Come on ye Saints!!!!!

Edited by East Lothian Saint
mispelt the west end of Paisley

7 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

I agree Ronaldo and Messi would be right up for it. A wee house in Glenburn with front and back garden for one and a top floor flat in Causeyside street with a great view of the traffic for the other would surely tempt them. Top that with the opportunity to play in 'Feegie' every second week and how could they refuse. :D     Oh sorry. misread that, I think you meant some of the fans wouldn't be committed :wub:   Oh well. I'll just keep paying SMISA  and get a loan player instead. Storrie and Loy could be  the Paisley versions of Ronaldo and Messi. Here's hoping. Come on ye Saints!!!!!

If my family all sold their wee hooses in Glenburn with back and front gardens we would probably get a big hoose in Bearsden which would surely tempt one of them.Ronaldo would be my choice as the tabloids would say Messi was too wee for the Scottish game.

Edited to say that i love my wee hoose in Glenburn or as it is commonly called Glenbroon.(13 hooses and a shop)