David Clarkson

Clarkson is shite but the conduct of a small minority today in booing him on to the park was utterly disgraceful. 

I thought the booing was for Magennis being subbed?

Regardless, Clarkson is finished, he added a bit of fight last season but it was clear to see his days of even being a semi regular goal scorer were over.

9 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

I thought the booing was for Magennis being subbed?

Regardless, Clarkson is finished, he added a bit of fight last season but it was clear to see his days of even being a semi regular goal scorer were over.

Definitely wasn't,  there were a few who clearly booed the decision to bring him on when he was being kitted out and some who waited until Magennis was off to boo him on. 

Either way,  he's pish and he's done and I'd be offering him a mutual termination as soon as possible but whilst he's a St. Mirror player, he'll get my support. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Either way,  he's pish and he's done and I'd be offering him a mutual termination as soon as possible but whilst he's a St. Mirror player, he'll get my support. 

Aye, he needs to take a good hard look at himself. :P

1 hour ago, Buddy Marvellous said:

What is his problem with Kyle Mcallister, always seems to be on his back and is constantly having a go at him.

Spot on. His attitude to the younger players is appalling for such a senior pro. 

I don't have a problem with players being crabbit buggers on the park as it's often a sign of a desire to win. Gowser was a moaning faced wee cvnt but with Clarkson he just seems be go around the park like an angry man and last week he was on Morgan's back and this week it was McAllister getting it. He's out of order in my opinion. 

All of that said - the booing of him as he was coming on to the park was absolutely moronic. 

I witnessed Clarkson having a go at McAllister for a good few minutes and I took a few pelters from some of the support for having a go at Clarkson. I was fuming at what I was witnessing. A senior pro should be encouraging and giving constructive criticism to young players, not bollocking them like that. Maybe people didn't notice what was happening which is why a few people were unhappy at my rant, but no wonder our heads go down when our young players are treated like that by senior pros.

If Clarkson was performing anywhere near acceptable then I would have been a bit more lenient, but tearing into a 17 year old lad who has done more in a few games than Clarkson has done all season let my emotions get the better of me.

5 hours ago, Tam M said:

I witnessed Clarkson having a go at McAllister for a good few minutes and I took a few pelters from some of the support for having a go at Clarkson. I was fuming at what I was witnessing. A senior pro should be encouraging and giving constructive criticism to young players, not bollocking them like that. Maybe people didn't notice what was happening which is why a few people were unhappy at my rant, but no wonder our heads go down when our young players are treated like that by senior pros.

If Clarkson was performing anywhere near acceptable then I would have been a bit more lenient, but tearing into a 17 year old lad who has done more in a few games than Clarkson has done all season let my emotions get the better of me.

Unfortunately, he appears to have been reduced to the guy who comes on and points at where other folk should be whilst hopelessly floating about in no man's land.

No-one wants that sort of guy in their side. Clarkson goes definitively onto that list of wingers/strikers we signed about 2 years past their prime and who are hilariously ineffective for us:

Eddie Annand, Craig Dargo, Jim Hamilton, Dennis Wyness, Allan Johnston, Gerry Creaney, David Clarkson

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunately, he appears to have been reduced to the guy who comes on and points at where other folk should be whilst hopelessly floating about in no man's land.

No-one wants that sort of guy in their side. Clarkson goes definitively onto that list of wingers/strikers we signed about 2 years past their prime and who are hilariously ineffective for us:

Eddie Annand, Craig Dargo, Jim Hamilton, Dennis Wyness, Allan Johnston, Gerry Creaney, David Clarkson

:offtopic:offtopic:offtopic

If you look back to 2009/10 you'll see that in the 10 league games Allan Johnston played for us that season we got 16 points compared to the 18 points from 28 games when he was absent. AJ might very well have been a crock at the tail end of his career but in the games he did play I thought he did a good job for us helping us to retain possession (compared to the panic when he was missing) and arguably saved us from being relegated that season.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=9199&season_id=139

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/st-mirren/2009-2010/table

Was surprised to see Clarkson resigned after an underwhelming second half to last season and predictably he's been slightly more so this season.

I recall him having a go at mcallister for not going up for the ball in a challenge, though Clarkson failed to challenge for a single 50/50 header until it was too late in the game.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Was surprised to see Clarkson resigned after an underwhelming second half to last season and predictably he's been slightly more so this season.

I wish he would resign (:D) but I guess we will have to terminate on mutual consent.

When we first got him I was quite upbeat - a friend who is a 'well fan sung his praises re. impact "especially at [our] level" (Patronising b*st*rd).

At first there were a few flashes of ability and vision but not much else.

This year he has been shocking - he basically comes on, runs around a bit and contributes nothing. I didn't see the exchanges with McAllister but from the sound of it, it must have been outrageous! As other posters have said he has actually CONTRIBUTED to the survival cause in a positive sense, so to get hassle from a veteran who has done NOTHING all season is galling.

That said - booing of any player coming on is self defeating and counter productive - you're never going to get anything out of a player who realises he has already been judged before he tries. 

If we know we aren't going to get anything out of him and also that he will be leaving in the summer (which he surely must no matter what happens) then there is no point playing him - put on another experienced squad player or a youth player with something to prove - it worked out quite well with the two Kyles.

Clarkson is now compensating for his lack of ability by trying to shift the blame to team mates who in his mind fail to pass the perfect ball into his stride.

A completely spent force even at our level who should join Webster as next off the wage bill. One offers no leadership and the other destroys any enthusiasm and confidence in the young guys trying their guts out.

While we need experience as well as youthful enthusiasm, these two drains just kill any good.

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Webster and Clarkson, with their recent achievements, are fast going down as the two worst players in the history of the club.  They are the personification of all that is wrong with this shambolic team.

My absolute favourite malingerer is Langfield, who has managed to retire and keep getting paid.........the man is a genius.