John McGinn

10 minutes ago, munoz said:

Now looking like J McG is staying put . Fair play to Hibs for holding firm.

Way I look at it, unless god forbid he gets a serious injury (like someone spearing him with a corner flag for example), John's value is only going to increase.

He's 2 years left of his current deal.

Hibs aren't daft, they are trying to get him to sign a new deal and if he doesn't then they will sell him next summer.

We'll get our money eventually. I'm not arsed when it comes as long as it's LOADS!

Guest TPAFKATS
I really do love the way that on this board the word patronising has come to mean pointing out that someone has said something factually incorrect. I'm sure it used to mean something else. 
Unless you were referring to me saying I was a fan of your work on here. In which case that was a genuinely comment. I agree with most of your contributions. Particularly the ones that tend to fly in the face of popular opinion. 
Oh! And I didnae know you could unlike. Shows how clever I am. 

I love how arguably the most patronising cock on the forum accuses others of patronising posts [emoji6]

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

What environment are you talking about?

My shares portfolio gained 25% last year.

Many companies invest their retained profit in other companies shares.

I'm talking about the "interest" environment as it was you who brought up the subject of compound interest.

Shares yield dividends and their value can go up and down. Bu they don't produce interest.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

True.

I dont quite see your point but what you say is true.

The point is that it was you who stated that the John McGinn could be invested to let "compound interest do its magic".

I then stated that you won't earn much interest in the current environment.

You then responded by making an irrelevant post that your share portfolio had risen by 25%.

What is the point you are trying to make?

6 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ach Oaky. I "liked"your post when it just said true. Then you went and edited it to add that second sentence. Now I want to unlike it.

For absolute clarity as to what my point was....

You made a post suggesting that the club should invest its money and let the compound interest do its magic.

Someone responded by saying in today's interest environments there wouldn't be much to compound.

you countered this by saying that your shares portfolio went up by 25%.

I merely pointed out that an increase in your share portfolio has got nothing to do with compound interest. 

I'm a big fan of your work on this board, but sometimes your over defensiveness gets you into a sticky situation and you rarely have the ability to just stick yours hands up and say fair enough. 

Beat me to it! :lol:

17 hours ago, Warwick Hunt said:

I'm talking about the "interest" environment as it was you who brought up the subject of compound interest.

Shares yield dividends and their value can go up and down. Bu they don't produce interest.

What an absolutely pointless exercise in hair splitting :lol:

19 hours ago, div said:

Way I look at it, unless god forbid he gets a serious injury (like someone spearing him with a corner flag for example), John's value is only going to increase.

He's 2 years left of his current deal.

Hibs aren't daft, they are trying to get him to sign a new deal and if he doesn't then they will sell him next summer.

We'll get our money eventually. I'm not arsed when it comes as long as it's LOADS!

Can't say I agree unfortunately.

I think Hibs are going to find out the pre season talk of them competing in the top 3 or 4 is quite wide of the mark.  I can see them struggling and JM's perceived value depreciating as a result.  Would have been delighted if Hibs had accepted 1.5m for him.

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I think Hibs are going to find out the pre season talk of them competing in the top 3 or 4 is quite wide of the mark.  I can see them struggling and JM's perceived value depreciating as a result.  Would have been delighted if Hibs had accepted 1.5m for him.

What do base this on ? They've lost once so far . I can easily see them finish top 6 . 

47 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The way I look at it, Hibs fans will generally of seen a lot more of him last season than we did and they were all terrified at losing him. Need to just hope he has a storming season now and goes for as much as possible during his contract. best case scenario now is him signing a long term contract to protect his worth. I'm a big fan of him and think he'll go from strength to strength. 

I'm more worried about Kenny McLean now, looking more likely he'll be away for free end of this season. It's a shame but at least that was the smaller sell on. Here's hoping Mcallister and Mallan start to do the business down south. 

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I  agree with Kemp - McGinn'll be 23 in October past the age where he will be valued in terms of potential and as his contract runs down I don't see his value increasing unless he has an exceptional season this year.

His value will only increase if more clubs were like Hibs

Too often our young talent are punted for sweeties as the English clubs come calling

Robert Snodgrass has went for millions and he's an average player

What age was Dalglish when he went to Liverpool

We have been underselling  Scottish talent for years

Jonny Evans 30 million do me a favour

16 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

His value will only increase if more clubs were like Hibs

Too often our young talent are punted for sweeties as the English clubs come calling

Robert Snodgrass has went for millions and he's an average player

What age was Dalglish when he went to Liverpool

We have been underselling  Scottish talent for years

Jonny Evans 30 million do me a favour

Perhaps you're right, we didn't sell Lewis Morgan on the cheap either this window, who knows?

Snodgrass might have went for millions down south but when he left Livingston it was for "peanuts".

Chairman Ken Bates retained his faith in Gary McAllister, and McAllister put his in a 20-year-old Snodgrass who was landed for an undisclosed fee which in real terms was compensation of just £35,000.

Much as I love McGinn he's no Kenny Dalglish.

There are many factors that determine how a players value is judged and not all of them are valid but what is, is, and like I said it'll take an exceptional season for JM's value to increase.

Having said all that it won't be the first time I've been wrong..............................

PS - Who's Jonny Evans?

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Perhaps you're right, we didn't sell Lewis Morgan on the cheap either this window, who knows?

Snodgrass might have went for millions down south but when he left Livingston it was for "peanuts".

Much as I love McGinn he's no Kenny Dalglish.

There are many factors that determine how a players value is judged and not all of them are valid but what is, is, and like I said it'll take an exceptional season for JM's value to increase.

Having said all that it won't be the first time I've been wrong..............................

PS - Who's Jonny Evans?

That was the point about Snodgrass went for sweeties but ends up worth millions down there

Hibs were quite right to tell Forest gtf

Jonny Evans a journeyman Northern Ireland defender

20 hours ago, munoz said:

What do base this on ? They've lost once so far . I can easily see them finish top 6 . 

Teams that get hammered off Hamilton at home don't generally finish top 6.  They have just been promoted, they didn't exactly walk the Championship last season.  We took them apart fairly easily at home.  Worthy winners of the league of course, but I don't see much to suggest they are better than the majority of teams already in the Premier League.