John McGinn

3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Teams that get hammered off Hamilton at home don't generally finish top 6.  They have just been promoted, they didn't exactly walk the Championship last season.  We took them apart fairly easily at home.  Worthy winners of the league of course, but I don't see much to suggest they are better than the majority of teams already in the Premier League.

Well by your methods , they're better than Rangers and Partick and as good as Dundee . Keeping McGinn and adding Stokes are both very decent bits of business for them . 

Time will tell , and not after 4 games . 

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

Well by your methods , they're better than Rangers and Partick and as good as Dundee . Keeping McGinn and adding Stokes are both very decent bits of business for them . 

Time will tell , and not after 4 games . 

Nothing my post suggests that's my method!

Anyway, I don't particularly care where Hibs finish!  Just feel for a number of factors now would have been a good time for McGinn to be sold.

23 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Nothing my post suggests that's my method!

Anyway, I don't particularly care where Hibs finish!  Just feel for a number of factors now would have been a good time for McGinn to be sold.

It kind of did . Hibs have still to play Hamilton at least twice but you have them struggling cause they lost at home to them.

Hibs are also 2 games away from another Hampden final appearance, so more exposure for McGinn , if they get there of course.

I also hoped they would have sold him , but only at the right price . It's about time Scottish clubs start standing up to derisory offers from English clubs . 

I also couldn't care where they finish.

21 hours ago, Kemp said:

Can't say I agree unfortunately.

I think Hibs are going to find out the pre season talk of them competing in the top 3 or 4 is quite wide of the mark.  I can see them struggling and JM's perceived value depreciating as a result.  Would have been delighted if Hibs had accepted 1.5m for him.

Likewise , they're not very good really!

Hibs are quite right not sell if the valuation is wrong. Could they replace him for 750000; no chance. 

Currently he's in the Scotland squad and is one of their key players.  Why let him go if the money is not right. 

I think he's the obvious replacement for Scot Brown at both club and country and I would expect Brendan to pick him once he's seen him through a full season in the top flight. 

14 hours ago, insaintee said:

Hibs are quite right not sell if the valuation is wrong. Could they replace him for 750000; no chance. 

Currently he's in the Scotland squad and is one of their key players.  Why let him go if the money is not right. 

I think he's the obvious replacement for Scot Brown at both club and country and I would expect Brendan to pick him once he's seen him through a full season in the top flight. 

It's highly unlikely, IMO, that McGinn is a replacement for Brown.

His passing is better than Brown but doesn't have nearly enough physical presence to do the job that Brown has done for many years.

Not saying he couldn't play in a decent team like Celtic but certainly not in the same way Brown does.

Edited by faraway saint

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's highly unlikely, IMO, that McGinn is a replacement for Brown.

His passing is better than Brown but doesn't have nearly enough physical presence to do the job that Brown has done for many years.

Not saying he couldn't play in a decent team like Celtic but certainly not in the same was Brown does.

Agreed.

Very different type of character and temperament, too.

John is a player who goes about his business with the minimum of fuss. Brown goes about his with the maximum.

Agreed.
Very different type of character and temperament, too.
John is a player who goes about his business with the minimum of fuss. Brown goes about his with the maximum.

I hope John goes on to a bigger club when the time is right & of course we benefit financially which is great, but as you say, nothing like Brown for presence on the pitch.

I know many don't like/rate Brown, I personally think Scotland are much better for having him on the pitch, we have nobody else like him that can offer that physical presence, however be interesting to see how Burke develops.

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Svard svard said:

Supposedly Hibs(poisonous little man,their manager) think he is worth £7million now!

33% of that wid be braw!

I Love Neil Lennon. He is such a level headed young chap that i would take as gospel anything that came from him.

John McGinn is indeed a £7 million pound player.  (ps , i really do believe that given the current english Pl & championship transfer fees ) 

7 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Pm'd

Too much worry there bottom line is he will go for a good fee John  is a cracking player just wish he was still a St Mirren player could you imagine Stephen . John , Paul in the one e team mind blowing as a parent they must be so pound . Love Stephen for coming back he is a Fitzy always part of this club. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...