John McGinn

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Have heard Scott mention a coffee shop , being in that business myself you need high volume sales I'm not convinced the market is there , Greenhill Road is certainly a busy street with traffic. 

Maybe, maybe not. Years ago a girlfriend who was a chef was asked to open a wee place in Hillington as much as to showcase kitchen equipment that the company was selling. The place took off as there were few places in an Industrial Estate that people could go to except vans. We have Industrial Estates across the road and a steady flow of folk going down to buy tickets/ merchandise. I took a starter motor down to a place next to Greenhill Rd recently and had to wait an hour for them to fix it. I asked where the nearest cafe was and discovered it was the High St.

The idea is worth investigation I reckon.

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Maybe, maybe not. Years ago a girlfriend who was a chef was asked to open a wee place in Hillington as much as to showcase kitchen equipment that the company was selling. The place took off as there were few places in an Industrial Estate that people could go to except vans. We have Industrial Estates across the road and a steady flow of folk going down to buy tickets/ merchandise. I took a starter motor down to a place next to Greenhill Rd recently and had to wait an hour for them to fix it. I asked where the nearest cafe was and discovered it was the High St.

The idea is worth investigation I reckon.

Someone on here a few years ago had experience of opening a few tea shops in his time. I remember him saying you really need a turnover of about £100k before you could make any profit. That figure tied in roughly with what I came up with when I considered opening one up myself a while ago. It looks very lucrative but there are plenty of hours where there is little or no custom.

It certainly needs looked at but it might not be worth pursuing unless the club decide to allow another company to let the space out from them.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Someone on here a few years ago had experience of opening a few tea shops in his time. I remember him saying you really need a turnover of about £100k before you could make any profit. That figure tied in roughly with what I came up with when I considered opening one up myself a while ago. It looks very lucrative but there are plenty of hours where there is little or no custom.

It certainly needs looked at but it might not be worth pursuing unless the club decide to allow another company to let the space out from them.

would only work if a few other things happened in the area , such as a rail link to the airport or some sort of gym facility in the area , or if someone can come up with an ingenious idea for the car park , ( which why I think a massive gym in the area might work ) 

36 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

1kg coffee = around 48 cups of coffee depending on quality anything from £10 kg up wards. Food is the biggest seller at my place that's what you have to get right to make it work. 

Edit , one of the big chains could make it work and more likely to succeed such as costa fortune then you are looking at rent only but maybe a good sponsorship deal .

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

would only work if a few other things happened in the area , such as a rail link to the airport or some sort of gym facility in the area , or if someone can come up with an ingenious idea for the car park , ( which why I think a massive gym in the area might work ) 

Yes I agree with this. It needs to be part of a large and ambitious package of changes to the area.

2 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

Whit aboot a pie and bovril cafe wi topless waitresses painted black and white like the minstrels.

Sell black and white stuff only...slice a white breed wi treacle or burnt toast wi banana....yum yum.

black coffee, white coffee, black tea, white tea, black pudding, white pudding..... brilliant!

only serve folk sufficiently black or white enough tae get in. Nae red, yellow or blue folk allowed.

I take it you think this is funny.  If so, you are sadly mistaken!

Edited by smcc

Absolutely nothing wrong with investigating the set-up costs and likely return on investment in a coffee bar, office space in newly constructed corners, additional seating in newly constructed corners, or expanded hospitality, or even Tricky Dicky’s REA Laundry and CIC conference centre.

If anyone is in a position to look at the risk and reward, the cost and complexity of developing the corners, then a chairman who has done well in property investment and knows a bit about the building trade would be a boon. Oh hold on, we have one. Result!

My opinion happens to be that with a brand new management team, and an untested squad which is still being assembled, we have no idea if Stubbsy’s B&W Army are going to be great, shite, or simply meh. Developing corners for seating to rake in further OF shekels is only any good if you are likely to be facing the bigots season in, season out. I frankly would not understand it if the club are seriously thinking about this at this juncture. It would cost a fortune and would be a waste of money if a return to the Championship beckoned.

Offices, coffee shops, other stuff that isn’t dependent on what division the club actually play in makes far more sense. What makes sense to me at the moment is to find a way to get a fit-for-purpose facility to sit behind the North Stand where the pig-in-a-poke burst balloon currently sits still unfit for use as we enjoy the best summer since 1976.

39 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Whit aboot a pie and bovril cafe wi topless waitresses painted black and white like the minstrels.

Sell black and white stuff only...slice a white breed wi treacle or burnt toast wi banana....yum yum.

black coffee, white coffee, black tea, white tea, black pudding, white pudding..... brilliant!

only serve folk sufficiently black or white enough tae get in. Nae red, yellow or blue folk allowed.

Sexist and racist in the one post. Well done.

Away back to the 1970's with ye.

47 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

Bananas are yellow :hammer

16 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh !
Fooled again. There was me thinking new posts on this thread meant an update on the McGinn situation....

At least it isn’t SMiSA. Wonder how many threads on here don’t go at least a bit off-tangent before coming around again? Easiest thing is to mention the thread subject, so here goes....

John McGinn. I wonder if Hibs will sell him soon, what he thinks about Brexit, does he think Rafa can beat Jocky at Wimbers, and what he would do if he had to get fourteen kids and their coach out of a flooded cave.

See? Back on track. Easy as that.

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

With opening a coffee shop itself!

Why not open a Chinese takeaway instead? Or a restaurant? Or a mini market? Why don’t we sell second hand cars as well?

That would certainly use up some car park space!

28 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

With opening a coffee shop itself!

Why not open a Chinese takeaway instead? Or a restaurant? Or a mini market? Why don’t we sell second hand cars as well?

Maybe you,ve accidently come up with a great idea , but a partnership with a car auction company would work really well , with all of the above part of the facility

3 hours ago, smcc said:
3 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

I take it you think this is funny.  If so, you are sadly mistaken!

I thought it was funny :P

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Sexist and racist in the one post. Well done.

Away back to the 1970's with ye.

I think you need a 'sense of humour transplant'  something obviously meant in a humourous way not recieved well by a humourless person like yourself :lol:

20 minutes ago, Cairters_Corner said:
7 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Plans for the corners were already drawn up when the stadium was built. Seen them during my time on the Fans Council.

What were the plans?

Sin bin in one corner, a soundproof room in another corner to hide all the politically correct individuals we have on here who find fault in all sorts of irrelevant (funny and sometimes Not funny) comments from anyone they disprove of.  Sounds like we need a coffee shop in another and possibly a gym in the final one.  Not to forget the car auction in the car park, every other week with a car boot in between and off season we can run rock concerts and if we put flat roofs on the stands we could start a helicopter taxi service.  Hows that for starters?  :lol: