John McGinn

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Today is the last day to sign players for champions League games so if nothing happens today it will end up being a pre-contact. 

If Celtic have offered £2m then it would be utter folly for Hibs to turn it down knowing they will lose him for nothing at the end of his contract. He maybe worth more but he is only worth what clubs are willing to bid. Perhaps the reason there appears to be no other bids is simply because a top club will get him on a pre contract and use transfer money to boost his contract (wages etc)?

Edited by nedflanders123

1 minute ago, nedflanders123 said:

If Celtic have offered £2m then it would be utter folly for Hibs to turn it down knowing they will lose him for nothing at the end of his contract. He maybe worth more but he is only worth what clubs are willing to bid. Perhaps the reason there appears to be no other buds is simply because a top club will get him on a pre contract and use transfer money to boost his contract (wages etc)?

Entering an interesting phase now... 

For all the talk of West Ham, Leeds, etc. there doesn't seem to be any English clubs at the table - at least yet! 

Lennon & Hibs have been talking to build up McGinn's value for well over a year now. 

If Celtic is the only genuine interest - or the only club he's interested in going to - then that's a very bad position for Hibs and for us. Celtic can get through this season without McGinn so can happily await a PCA. It will come down to how much Hibs place value on having McGinn for the season and losing him for nothing. I think when you look at it like that then Celtic's £2m is probably getting pretty close to the mark. 

28 minutes ago, Maboza said:

For all the talk of West Ham, Leeds, etc. there doesn't seem to be any English clubs at the table - at least yet! 

Lennon & Hibs have been talking to build up McGinn's value for well over a year now. 

If Celtic is the only genuine interest - or the only club he's interested in going to - then that's a very bad position for Hibs and for us. Celtic can get through this season without McGinn so can happily await a PCA. It will come down to how much Hibs place value on having McGinn for the season and losing him for nothing. I think when you look at it like that then Celtic's £2m is probably getting pretty close to the mark. 

Good points- well made

Hibs are playing a game- Celtic Hold all the cards. I reckon a 3rd bid of £2.2m will seal it. Still gives us over £700k

Whilst I understand the arguments regarding Celtic being in the box seat, and Hibs being likely to blink first, there is also the value of McGinn remaining at Hibs for a further season to be factored in.

Hibs might be willing to take a chance on other clubs entering the fray between the current window closing and January, when PCAs will come into play. Meanwhile, they would be retaining the services of one of their best players (arguably their best) for at least half a season whilst playing in European ties, etc.

Remember how the Morgan deal was worked.  Yes, there would have been a (limited) development fee, but Celtic could have held back in terms of transfer fee and just arranged for Lewis to sign a PCA with them in January. Instead, they signalled their intent to ensure that he would become their player by investing a few bob up front.

It all depends on how keen Celtic are to sign McGinn. I suspect they are very keen, and will increase their bid to somewhere between £2.5M and £3M before the weekend (possibly today), and Hibs will reluctantly accept that.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Today is the last day to sign players for champions League games so if nothing happens today it will end up being a pre-contact. 

No it isn't. It's the qualifying round deadline. 

You're allowed to register new players at every qualifying stage of the CL. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Whilst I understand the arguments regarding Celtic being in the box seat, and Hibs being likely to blink first, there is also the value of McGinn remaining at Hibs for a further season to be factored in.

Hibs might be willing to take a chance on other clubs entering the fray between the current window closing and January, when PCAs will come into play. Meanwhile, they would be retaining the services of one of their best players (arguably their best) for at least half a season whilst playing in European ties, etc.

Remember how the Morgan deal was worked.  Yes, there would have been a (limited) development fee, but Celtic could have held back in terms of transfer fee and just arranged for Lewis to sign a PCA with them in January. Instead, they signalled their intent to ensure that he would become their player by investing a few bob up front.

It all depends on how keen Celtic are to sign McGinn. I suspect they are very keen, and will increase their bid to somewhere between £2.5M and £3M before the weekend (possibly today), and Hibs will reluctantly accept that.

Also possible they sign him and allow him to remain at Hibs for this season.

Hibs boss Neil Lennon concedes John McGinn has been unsettled by Celtic bids but vows to field midfielder in Europa League clash

By Alan Temple -

July 11, 2018

BY ALAN TEMPLE – @CCP_Sport

HIBS head coach Neil Lennon concedes that the uncertainty regarding the future of John McGinn is ‘unsettling’ for the player after Celtic saw a second bid for the Scotland internationalist rejected.

Lennon confirmed that an offer had been rebuffed yesterday [Wednesday] afternoon and indicated that the onus was now on the Scottish champions to meet the valuation that Easter Road chiefs have placed on their prize asset.

Although the Northern Irishman is honest enough to acknowledge that the furore would affect any player, Lennon fully intends to field McGinn against NSI Runavik when Hibs embark on their Europa League campaign at Easter Road.

John-McGinn.pngIndeed, he reckons getting out on the grass will be the best thing for the combative midfielder amid the transfer circus.

“Of course it is unsettling for the player,” said Lennon. “This is football, and you can’t stop progress, but all the speculation is not an easy thing for him to deal with.

“We just need to manage him as best we can until it’s resolved one way or the other.

“The best thing for him is to play. I’ve seen no ill-effects in his play. He was excellent on Sunday [against Blackburn] and played well at Linlithgow. He has a bit of a dead leg but trained well on Wednesday and is available for Runavik.

“You would need to ask Celtic if it’s inevitable that John will go. We’ve had two bids in, which have not been accepted by the club. There’s been communication between the clubs and I think Celtic are aware of what we value John at – they haven’t met that.”

There have been suggestions that Scott Allan, who excelled on loan at Easter Road last season in his second spell at the club, could be used as a makeweight in the deal.

However, the playmaker was on the bench for the Hoops when they face Alashkert on Tuesday night.

Lennon added, bluntly: “Scott Allan hasn’t been mentioned in the talks.”

Neil-Lennon.jpgLennon, meanwhile, could hand a competitive debut to Stevie Mallan following his £175,000 capture from Barnsley. Contrary to suggestions that he could be a ready-made replacement for McGinn, the Hibs gaffer is adamant he is the successor to another Scotland internationalist who has already departed Easter Road this summer.

“He is not a replacement for John. He is a player much more in the mould of [Dylan] McGeouch,” added Lennon. “It was obviously a blow to lose Dylan, but I knew Stevie could come in and really add to our midfield.”

Like McGeouch, Lennon is hopeful Mallan can use his spell at Hibs to kick-start his career following a miserable stint at Oakwell that saw him restricted to just nine appearances last season.

“It is easy to say now in hindsight that Stevie went down south when he was too young,” continued Lennon, who confirmed that the club are no closer to completing the signing of Preston winger Daryl Horgan. “But, when a chance like that comes along, you’re always going to take it.

“Sometimes, there can be things going on behind the scenes and the club might not quite be how it seems when it’s sold to you. But it hasn’t affected his confidence. He made it clear he wanted to come here and the club pursued him vigorously.”

Stevie-Mallan.jpg Mallan returns to Scotland with a point to prove (Pic: Hibs TV)

As Hibs embark on their Europa League adventure against modest opponents in the form of Faroese part-timers Runavik, Lennon has left no stone unturned – dispatching assistant Garry Parker and senior scout Michael Meechan to the tiny Scandinavian island.

He has no intention of enduring a humiliating exit as he ambitiously targets the group phase – a stage no team out-with Celtic and Rangers have reached since Aberdeen in 2007/08.

“We have had Runavik scouted. Mikey and Garry went out to see them a couple of weeks ago – planes, trains and automobiles!” smiled Lennon. “We won’t be taking anything for granted, I can assure you of that.

“The objective is to try to reach the group stage. We earned the right to be here with how well we did last season and, clearly, the incentive is not to waste all of that hard work.”

Ahead of what could be his maiden outing for the Hibees, Mallan added: “To have your first competitive match in Europe is a massive thing. I’ve never played in Europe before so I am looking forward to it. I am hoping to get on and do well.”

4 hours ago, Maboza said:

The bolded part is my worry. If that's the case we're in for hee haw.

It would also be so utterly, typically depressingly familiar of some young Scottish talent.

2 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I can't understand why some English championship teams aren't interested that would bump the price up and we'd get bigger cut. Lot's of big teams in that league that could easily outbid Celtic.

Because he is not good enough for most of those teams.

Certainly not at the prices being quoted.

We have a misguided sense of exactly how good these players are in comparison with players of a comparable age from other countries.

Edited by oaksoft

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We have a misguided sense of exactly how good these players are in comparison with players of a comparable age from other countries.

He is Hibs best player are you saying he is not good enough for the English Championship or lower premiership clubs ? Really :blink:

He is Hibs best player are you saying he is not good enough for the English Championship or lower premiership clubs ? Really :blink:
Doesn't matter what a fan thinks. Clubs will have had him watched for over a season and the lack of interest from south of the border would suggest they don't think so.

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you want to see how good Hibs are as a team just watch their European adventure this season.

This forum is full of people laughing at England losing last night but what should be occupying the thoughts of everyone is embarassment at Scotland being totally outplayed by teams like Peru and Costa Rica, oir own Champions having to play teams from Armenia in the CL before the World Cup semi finals are complete and the routine capitulation of all of our clubs to teams from footballing's minnow nations.

Our teams play at a VERY low standard indeed and by extension so do our players.

Our best players are unfit, lacking in the basics and are simply not professional in comparison with almost any other player from any other nation of a comparable size.

If John found himself at a Nottingham Forrest, he would be on the bench each week and he is one of our best players.

We will never improve until people start accepting that reality check.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It would appear so. He could turn out to be a steal though for anyone who takes a chance because playing at a higher level would probably make a better player.

10 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

It would appear so. He could turn out to be a steal though for anyone who takes a chance because playing at a higher level would probably make a better player.

Going to Celtic wont help him enough for him to reach his full potential. It just leaves him in his comfort zone wherre he wins medals by default.

It is a poverty of ambition which affects most of our players up here.

It seems that players only have the vision to play for the OF or go to England. Its boom or bust. Too good for Scotland but nowhere near good for League One in England. I would like to see our player go elsewhere. Almost every country in the world is better than our league. I would like to see a bit more ambition. Go somewhere challenging but where you are likely to get game time. Sweden, Denmark, Romania, Croatia FFS. Anywhere but the OF and the benches of English teams.

That would require these players to think the slow burn of mastering their trade and having the best chance of achieving brilliance rather than whoring themselves immediately for the highest pay and trashing their careers down South.

This is John's career and he has the right to choose but those are my thoughts. Maybe I am just sick of watching us continually piss talent down the drain whilst even Costa Rica and Panama can reach World Cup finals.

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Going to Celtic wont help him enough for him to reach his full potential. It just leaves him in his comfort zone wherre he wins medals by default.

It is a poverty of ambition which affects most of our players up here.

It seems that player only have the vision to play for the OF or go to England. Its boom or bust. Too good for Scotland but nowhere near good for League One in England. I would like to see our player go elsewhere. Almost every country in the world is bette than our league. I would loke to see a bit more ambition. Go somewhere challenging but where you are likely to get game time. Sweden, Denmark, Romania, Croatia FFS. Anywhere but the OF and the benches of English teams.

That would require these players to think about mastering their trade and having the best chance of achieving brilliance rather than whoring themselves for the highest pay and trashing several years of their careers down South.

This is Johns career and he has the right to choose but those are my thoughts. Maybe I am just sick of watching us continually piss talent down the drain whilst even Costa Rica and Panama can reach World Cup finals.

I think we all are and we hope someone will buck this trend. I actually think Lewis Morgan has the potential to play at a higher level than Celtic, i hope he is the first to show signs of the game slowly improving  up here, especially our national team.

The reason lots of Scottish players want to join the ‘OF’ clubs are understandable. They probably support them, they’ll get great wages, they’ll get to roger the hapless diddies who they used to play for, and they can still go to Nandos in Braehead where folk will suddenly ask for their autographs.

Not a bad life, and if wee meatball heid’ fancies a slice of that, perfectly understandable. Just need Celtic to pony up with some crinkly bottom groats and we’ll get a nice slice.

Come on Lawell, prise open the tin.

4 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I think we all are and we hope someone will buck this trend. I actually think Lewis Morgan has the potential to play at a higher level than Celtic, i hope he is the first to show signs of the game slowly improving  up here, especially our national team.

We are quite understandably getting excited at the prospect of a cash windfall for our club but I would sacrifice that if we could see that trend being bucked by players like John if it results in pride being restored to our national game.

The green bigots have had several success stories in developing young talent on the way to achieving their full potential and have sold them on for huge profit.

If McGinn signs for them and gets a regular game, then he's got chance of doing the same.

Stuart Armstrong seems to have benefited somewhat.