John McGinn

8 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Newspaper chat seemed to suggest that Celtic have made a 3rd approach. Hibs might  (naturally) like to pay us less than contractually agreed. Would make a lower bid from Celtic more acceptable to Hibs. Watch this space.

Hibs will keep two-thirds of whatever fee they receive for McGinn from whomever wants to sign him.

If they sell him for £1.5M, they get £1M, we get £500k

If they sell him for £3M, they get £2M, we get £1M and so on.

"A lower bid more acceptable"...what a load of pish.

21 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You’ve lost me :blink:

TPAFKA.

If our sell on agreement with Hibs is e.g. 33% and Celtic bid £2mill then Hibs would keep £1.34m and we would get  £666,000. If we accepted less e.g. 15% then if Celtic Bid £1.75m then Hibs would keep 85% of that (which is higher than 67% of £2mill) Saints would then get £262,000. Hibs and Saints alternatively get nothing if he stays until the end of the season. I hope the original deal is honoured but business is business. In an ideal world there would be no renogotiation of the original agreement but football is a messy business. If approached then I trust the board to make a decision which favours Saint's interests. Ms Dempster is a tough negotiator.

Edited by St.Ricky

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

TPAFKA.

If our sell on agreement with Hibs is e.g. 33% and Celtic bid £2mill then Hibs would keep £1.34m and we would get  £666,000. If we accepted less e.g. 15% then if Celtic Bid £1.75m then Hibs would keep 85% of that (which is higher than 67% of £2mill) Saints would then get £262,000. Hibs and Saints alternatively get nothing if he stays until the end of the season. I hope the original deal is honoured but business is business. In an ideal world there would be no renogotiation of the original agreement but football is a messy business

Eh!  Where or when was the subject of re-negotiating the contractual obligations ever discussed - on here, in the press, in Ricky's mind, WTF?

12 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

TPAFKA.

If our sell on agreement with Hibs is e.g. 33% and Celtic bid £2mill then Hibs would keep £1.34m and we would get  £666,000. If we accepted less e.g. 15% then if Celtic Bid £1.75m then Hibs would keep 85% of that (which is higher than 67% of £2mill) Saints would then get £262,000. Hibs and Saints alternatively get nothing if he stays until the end of the season. I hope the original deal is honoured but business is business. In an ideal world there would be no renogotiation of the original agreement but football is a messy business

33% or nothing.     

6 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Eh!  Where or when was the subject of re-negotiating the contractual obligations ever discussed - on here, in the press, in Ricky's mind, WTF?

It happens in football and in business. 

I posted this to highlight that these things are not always straightforward.  Would I prefer us to receive the amount laid out in the agreement made with Hibs ...yes. Patience will pay for the club and the fans. 

Edited by St.Ricky

18 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

TPAFKA.

If our sell on agreement with Hibs is e.g. 33% and Celtic bid £2mill then Hibs would keep £1.34m and we would get  £666,000. If we accepted less e.g. 15% then if Celtic Bid £1.75m then Hibs would keep 85% of that (which is higher than 67% of £2mill) Saints would then get £262,000. Hibs and Saints alternatively get nothing if he stays until the end of the season. I hope the original deal is honoured but business is business. In an ideal world there would be no renogotiation of the original agreement but football is a messy business. If approached then I trust the board to make a decision which favours Saint's interests. Ms Dempster is a tough negotiator.

I would rather hold out and let the two of us get f**k all, than let Hibs screw us over like that.

What a mental idea!!

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You reckon Hibs would risk losing £2 million to avoid paying us 600k?

The next time I negotiate a business deal, can you be on the other side of the table from me please?  :lol:

I don't like it. That's why I posted it. Hobs are entitled to ask and we are entitled to say no thanks. Back to the original scenario. Meanwhile Hibs have risked nothing. If you don't grasp that then there is no point in explaining further. 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't like it. That's why I posted it. Hobs are entitled to ask and we are entitled to say no thanks. Back to the original scenario. Meanwhile Hibs have risked nothing. If you don't grasp that then there is no point in explaining further. 

Hang on, this conversation is not going to happen but let's say for a second that it does... what on earth would we stand to gain from agreeing to significant reduction? Say there was a rule that Hibs and ourselves could agree to knock it down to 20%, we'd be looking at recouping that elsewhere, likely through players from Hibs. 

There's no way a smaller sell on percentage can or will be agreed. Hibs can offer an upfront value of money to buy the sell on from us but that is a completely different thing and could backfire if Hibs don't sell McGinn. 

Simply put, it won't happen. 

4 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think Hibs are looking good this season, goals conceded last night aside.

I'm not suggesting Hibs could win the thing, but I think Celtic will be keener than ever to take one of their best players if they possibly can.

If Hibs get the cash for McGinn they better invest it in a defender...............or simply get rid of Ambrose.

Hang on, this conversation is not going to happen but let's say for a second that it does... what on earth would we stand to gain from agreeing to significant reduction? Say there was a rule that Hibs and ourselves could agree to knock it down to 20%, we'd be looking at recouping that elsewhere, likely through players from Hibs. 
There's no way a smaller sell on percentage can or will be agreed. Hibs can offer an upfront value of money to buy the sell on from us but that is a completely different thing and could backfire if Hibs don't sell McGinn. 

Without knowing any detail on the face of it there’s no reason why a contract variation couldn’t be agreed between Hibs and St. Mirren. Not saying it will happen just that it could.

35 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think Hibs are looking good this season, goals conceded last night aside.

I'm not suggesting Hibs could win the thing, but I think Celtic will be keener than ever to take one of their best players if they possibly can.

They have a tonne of goal threats in their squad and if McGinn is to depart, that will only leave a void imo for Scott Allan or the young lad Johnston from Celtic to fill. I would imagine they would also use the McGinn cash to invest even more in the squad as they are a bit short in numbers up front despite scoring freely.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

You and I are in agreement then! 

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I think you explained it well enough for everyone to see how your "intellect" works.

Thanks for that. I needed cheering up. :lol: