John McGinn

The way these things always work is the selling club trying to play hardball, then realise they ain't getting any more and a deal is done late in the window. There is no way, if Hibs have anything to do with it, that he will leave for nowt. The financial difference between maybe 1.5 million as their share now to maybe improving their league position by one or two places through keeping him is significant.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The way these things always work is the selling club trying to play hardball, then realise they ain't getting any more and a deal is done late in the window. There is no way, if Hibs have anything to do with it, that he will leave for nowt. The financial difference between maybe 1.5 million as their share now to maybe improving their league position by one or two places through keeping him is significant.

Well summed up Hendo.

Keep the faith. End of the transfer window, some lower end EPL clubs will have missed out on all their targets. J.McGinn will have been 10th on their list but is now next choice. They put in a stupidly high offer, off he goes to West Ham or Huddersfield or Southampton, here comes the money.

10 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Keep the faith. End of the transfer window, some lower end EPL clubs will have missed out on all their targets. J.McGinn will have been 10th on their list but is now next choice. They put in a stupidly high offer, off he goes to West Ham or Huddersfield or Southampton, here comes the money.

Excellent! Here comes the money and no time to spend it or, all our targets have signed for other teams.

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you are not concerned you should be. Stubbs told us 4 to 5 players. The latest interview with Stubbs now says2 players, hopefully he says. Our budget is the problem as it has been in the past .  Three on trial proves we can't get who he wanted  add in the players Stubbs wants out who can't get clubs and you end up with a financial problem to sign players. Stubbs first huge mistake was telling these players they have no future at the club because we are going to need them. 

You turn with the wind. 

One minute you're all over Stubbs, the next, and based on what others are saying, you're following the ever growing crowd :lol:

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

You turn with the wind. 

One minute you're all over Stubbs, the next, and based on what others are saying, you're following the ever growing crowd :lol:

Despite his track record even I have been surprised at IOBS' change of heart in the space of 2 games as Stubbs has gone from the Messiah to just a naughty boy in just over a week.

8 hours ago, Sonny said:

Stubbs himself has stated that the McGinn money does not feature in his plans and GLS has said it won't be used for player recruitment but to invest in additional income streams. So let's get the most for McGinn but certainly most if not all of it will not be used to sign players.

If a deal goes through , and we start the season LLL in August,  the money will be used for players , believe me !

Guest TPAFKATS
Their window closes about 20 days before ours for some reason.
I think they close prior to league starting as too many managers and we're complaining about losing players at end of August and having no time to sort it.
Now they can lose players but still have time to pay over the odds for someone from a European league.
Or mcginn from the Diddy league.

I think they close prior to league starting as too many managers and we're complaining about losing players at end of August and having no time to sort it.
Now they can lose players but still have time to pay over the odds for someone from a European league.
Or mcginn from the Diddy league.
Nothing like over complicating things is there?

If any McGinn windfall is not earmarked for signing players, then it’s probably just as well.

I sense this one is going to come down to brinkmanship on the parts of Celtic and Hibs, with the deal being done either late in the window or ultimately not at all.

I think Hibs are playing a very dangerous game. Whilst Celtic have obviously shown they are keen to tie him up during this window, you get the feeling they are always just one rejected bid away from telling Hibs to ram it.

Hibs getting nothing for McGinn would constitute a bit of a disaster scenario for them. Celtic not getting John McGinn until January (or to some extent even not at all) would not be a disaster for them. 

If any McGinn windfall is not earmarked for signing players, then it’s probably just as well.
I sense this one is going to come down to brinkmanship on the parts of Celtic and Hibs, with the deal being done either late in the window or ultimately not at all.
I think Hibs are playing a very dangerous game. Whilst Celtic have obviously shown they are keen to tie him up during this window, you get the feeling they are always just one rejected bid away from telling Hibs to ram it.
Hibs getting nothing for McGinn would constitute a bit of a disaster scenario for them. Celtic not getting John McGinn until January (or to some extent even not at all) would not be a disaster for them. 

Quite a few Celtic fans I’ve spoken to have said as much. They are quite keen to land him, but don’t mind waiting a few extra months and getting him for fek all. A few of them would actually prefer this, just to get one over Hibs now. It also looks like McGinn is keen to go to Celtic, so it could be a factor that other possible suitors are aware that he is a Celtic fan and wants to play for them. It’s certainly been a long and frustrating drawn out saga for all concerned, including us.